Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Anyone own a Chevy TrailBlazer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Anyone own a Chevy TrailBlazer?

My Dakota is guzzling gas more now than ever an I'm sick of working on it. I need something more family friendly and better on gas. Also needs to pull my boat (3,500lbs) relatively easily.

Looking at a couple TrailBlazers right now. Seems like they have about everything I'm looking for and the price I want to pay. Seems like the 2006 and up V6 puts out some decent power. I don't think I want to spend the money on anything newer than a 2006. 2004 is decent but the V6 had less power (from my research). I'd like 4WD but it's not required.

Thought I'd post up and see if anyone has one and what they think about it.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

It's an L6 not v6, all of them are 4wd or awd, Mine is ok but if I had the money I would have gotten the ss with the 6.0L v8 but it is too much $$$.

I have the 03 with the l6 and it get 12 in town and 19 on the hiway if you drive like an old lady. The v8 gets the same economy with a ton more power.

Overall it has been reliable, but it has poor ground clearance and is prone to getting high centered.
sparky0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

my mom drives one, we call it the failblazer. we towed a 16' flatbed with 4 sportquads on it one time. from cedar city UT to vegas, mostly downhill, and had to stop for gas 3 times. then one time, the power steering pump took a shit in traffic with only like 60,000mi on it, that was fun. the power seats are ****ed up, the keyless entry is ****ed up. the whole thing is an automotive failure. hence, failblazer.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
RCC Addict

This isn't good

L6 huh? Can't say I've heard of that one. Not inline 6 cylinder?

I was pretty sure I looked at an EXT TrailBlazer that was 2WD. Maybe that's only for the EXT version.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Inline 6, you won't find a smoother running engine.

The ext might be 2wd I am not sure.

I am all for manual everything thus being why I have the ls the most basic trim level.
sparky0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I did look at the SS trim package and it's a sick machine for sure. Heck, 0-60 times were a bit over 6 seconds. That's impressive! Out of my price range though

I owned a truck with a 4.3 V6 and that thing was a beast. That's one of the reasons I have been looking into the TB.

Have you towed with it Sparky? The boat I'm pulling is a bit heavy and doesn't have brakes on the trailer.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
MODERHATER™

I know 2 people that own them, they seem to like to eat gas, brake pads, headlights, and tires.

Besides that they are a bit underpowered, really comfortable, and good in snow.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

there not all 4wd whoever said that. most are 2.
nick you sure about towing your boat with that? whats the power? im not sure its enough.
buddy has the 4.8 v8 in his silv. and it barely tows his tige' 21 footer.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Well the boat is an antique so it's not something I'll take out a lot and even when I do take it out it'll never go anywhere other than the lakes that are about 15 minutes from my house. Power out of that I6 is 291hp and 274ft lb torque. Seems like the V8 models are a bit pricey still.

That's one thing I love about my dakota. I had the tranny and motor rebuild for towing for the boat and I was hauling a lot of cars around at the time. That thing would pull anything and everything nicely. To bad it's a POS and nothing else will hold up on it.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
MODERHATER™

You want reliable, buy Toyota!!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
You want reliable, buy Toyota!!
I know I know but I have a hard time buying something foreign.

(start foreign vs domestic debate now........)
Old 11-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #12
~THE SCALE SHOP~

yotas suck!

nick sounds like that i6 would do you just fine then. btw i always thought they looked sick. especially the ones with the body color bumpers and grill bar.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Stang, you referring to the trailblazers? I agree with you if you're talking about the dakota or the trailblazer really. The "sport" theme with matching bumper and grill colors is sweet. The SS TB is real nice looking.

My other option is just snagging a beater ranger or something reliable for another year and paying off our other vehicle. Then getting basically whatever I want. An SS would be an option at that point.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have an 07 trailblazer and works great. I would agree that they are a little underpowered for their size, It should pull that boat in the picture ok. I am a lifelong v8 owner so, everything is underpowered One of the nice features is it drives like a car, very smooth on the road. I looked at most of the SUV's on the market and chose this one. Mostly because it was the only one that had a selectable 4wd option, and was bigger than most others. All the others were AWD all the time. Like said above it sucks some gas, I average about 15-17 in the city and about 22-26 on the Hwy. Great in the snow, but the traction control system is less than desireable. But you can turn it off. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by THnCS; 11-25-2008 at 09:20 AM.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Log View Post
I average about 15-17 in the city and about 22-26 on the Hwy.
If that is true that's great. I get no better than 14mph in my truck highway and driving in the winter is just horrible when it comes to gas mileage.

We get a good bit of snow here and that's my only reasoning for the 4WD. Not even for me, I grew up driving 2WD RWD in the snow. My wife is why I'd want it. She's a GREAT driver but having 4WD gives her one less thing to worry about which in turn gives me a bit less to worry about.

Is it a leaf sprung rear end? I never thought to peak.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #16
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
Stang, you referring to the trailblazers? I agree with you if you're talking about the dakota or the trailblazer really. The "sport" theme with matching bumper and grill colors is sweet. The SS TB is real nice looking.

My other option is just snagging a beater ranger or something reliable for another year and paying off our other vehicle. Then getting basically whatever I want. An SS would be an option at that point.
yeah talking about the trailblazers.
heres the TB SS you should buy.

9.27 @ 145 at 4600lbs! Freakin insane fast for a lil truck!
http://www.youtube.com/v/PWnRHd9Oa6w&hl=en&fs=1
Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
If that is true that's great. I get no better than 14mph in my truck highway and driving in the winter is just horrible when it comes to gas mileage.

We get a good bit of snow here and that's my only reasoning for the 4WD. Not even for me, I grew up driving 2WD RWD in the snow. My wife is why I'd want it. She's a GREAT driver but having 4WD gives her one less thing to worry about which in turn gives me a bit less to worry about.

Is it a leaf sprung rear end? I never thought to peak.
My mileage would be better if I actually turned the A/C off. I just now started to turn it off every other day. Weather has been real warm for CO this year. I grew up driving V8 rwd cars too. I actually traded in my 05 Mustang for the Trailblazer Man I hated to do that.

I think it is Independent suspension all the way around, but to be honest I never paid attention either

Stang Killa--- Those SS's are real nice. I test drove one and they definately have some nuts to them. Just ask the salesman in the passenger seat

Last edited by THnCS; 11-25-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I seen that somewhere else on RCC and was reading it with my jaw dropped haha Don't they have a sick camaro too?

That'll get the boat to the lake quick

log, I was just curious to see if it was a coil setup out back mainly for towing reasons.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

When I go to lunch, I will take a peak.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Trailblazers are nice, but you need to stay out of the throttle to get good gas mileage.

have you thought about getting an old chevy with a 350 in it? those things get good gas mileage and can tow a bunch.

Also, have you looked into getting a gas sipper for driving around without the boat? maybe a older subaru or honda?
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote