Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Firearm guys, People with Guns. Need Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Firearm guys, People with Guns. Need Advice

Well I'm gonna be going to the local station to apply for a gun permit for long arms for the first time but recently after looking for a few assault rifles of my interest (Colt Pre-Ban AR15's) I have come to notice that now all of a sudden theres some LONG LONG wait times to get one or find a place that have any AR15 rifles. Could anyone of you gun guys tell me if I'll even be able to obtain one at all within a 1 month or sooner period? And also is law working on banning assault rifles for sale to people like myself? just a bit curious at my chances in obtaining one, where to buy and waiting period, as well as if ther working on completely banning the rifles.
Breaker 1-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

nothing personal but what's the draw to a rifle that can't be used hunting in most states if not all....plus the name "assault rifle" that seems it is used for one thing....sure i shot one a friend had who was a FFL holder and a gun dealer that had a full auto M-16....we went through 6-30 round clips in less then 3 minutes that cost well over 100 bucks, that's 180 rounds....i just don't get owning a gun that costs over 1,000 to start with and 40.00 bucks a box of 20 shells....sure i'm building a 1770 lancaster flintlock now that i have 800.00 in parts in it, but it's a part of this countrys and my state of PA's history over 200 years ago....matter of fact i sold the only centerfire rifle i had, a marlin 336 lever action in .35 rem and went all flintlock now for hunting...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Where do you live that you have to have a permit to own a long gun?
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
i just don't get owning a gun that costs over 1,000 to start with and 40.00 bucks a box of 20 shells....
You can buy .223 for around $6.00 for a box of 20 rounds
Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
N.J. ya need one to own a BB gun .............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
N.J. ya need one to own a BB gun .............bob

Damn.... I was thinking Canada
Old 12-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
nothing personal but what's the draw to a rifle that can't be used hunting in most states if not all....plus the name "assault rifle" that seems it is used for one thing....sure i shot one a friend had who was a FFL holder and a gun dealer that had a full auto M-16....we went through 6-30 round clips in less then 3 minutes that cost well over 100 bucks, that's 180 rounds....i just don't get owning a gun that costs over 1,000 to start with and 40.00 bucks a box of 20 shells....sure i'm building a 1770 lancaster flintlock now that i have 800.00 in parts in it, but it's a part of this countrys and my state of PA's history over 200 years ago....matter of fact i sold the only centerfire rifle i had, a marlin 336 lever action in .35 rem and went all flintlock now for hunting...............bob

Here in Wisconsin they are legal to use for hunting, I've gotten Whitetail deer, Coyote, bobcat just to mention a few with my Colt M4 .223, I was a Marine and served my country for the right to own what ever type gun I wanted. Guns are like any other things someone wants to own, you don't need a reason beyond wanting to have which ever kind you like.

As for the laws in NJ...can't help you there but good luck with your attempt.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
Profile says lives in hawaii.. yikes.... The laws are tough there.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post
Profile says lives in hawaii.. yikes.... The laws are tough there.
I guess so
Here where I live, I went into my local gunshop and picked out a Dragunov and AK-74, filled out the ATF paperwork, had to wait about 10 minutes for the background check to be completed and went home with my 2 new purchases
Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Move to Nevada. Buy them over the counter.

Handguns are just 3 day waits for your first one.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

AR type rifles are hard to get right now.

The only way I see getting one in a month or so would be to find one for sale from a individual or you may be able to call Clark Firearms and have him build you a gator.The last time I talked to him he could get them turned out in about 4 weeks.
Here is a link

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/gatorar.htm
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
Guns are like any other things someone wants to own, you don't need a reason beyond wanting to have which ever kind you like.
Right on! My reason for owning an AK47 is simple...because I can! I guess since the gun-grabbing weasel polititians can't seem to keep criminals from having guns, they decided it was easier to "try" to keep law abiding citizens from getting them. "Fear a government that fears your gun."

T.D.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #13

You probably wont see them from manufacturers or major distributors for a few months, but you can still find them used or even new from some dealers that had them stock piled. You will just have to pay more for them. I've already seen ak's and ar15's selling for double what they were a month ago. I think prices will continue to rise.

I own alot of "assualt rifles" for no real purpose other than its my right and privilage. Its like buying anything else in life, do you really need that 61" tv or will a 27" tv do the same thing?
blt-2-drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
Right on! My reason for owning an AK47 is simple...because I can! I guess since the gun-grabbing weasel polititians can't seem to keep criminals from having guns, they decided it was easier to "try" to keep law abiding citizens from getting them. "Fear a government that fears your gun."

T.D.
X2
I bought my AK-74 for nothing more than plinking. 5.45x39 is still dirt cheap and I can ride my 4 wheeler a few miles up into the mountains behind my house and shoot all day without being hassled by anybody.
On the other hand, I feel sorry for any doped up tweaker that tries to break into my house. I always keep a magazine with 5 or so rounds loaded up close by
Old 12-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

After being in the army, I LOVED my M-16. I don't hunt, and I have no intention of using it for it's intended purpose, BUT 300meters with iron sights... Deadly Accurate and lots of fun at the range. I have a .17 caliber for taking to the range as the ammo is cheaper, and the short range characteristics are similar, but not quite like shooting a .223 (5.56mm). Plus I'm in california so it's kinda difficult to get an AR, there are legal ones, but yu know.

I've got a loaded up .40S&W IMI Eagle w/ Hydrashok rounds for the unexpected tweaker visit in a safe in my home office. Used to keep a loaded 12ga compact Mossberg with 00 buck in the hallway closet before the kids came along.
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #16
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker 1-9 View Post
Could anyone of you gun guys tell me if I'll even be able to obtain one at all within a 1 month or sooner period?
Since election day every gun store in the country has been ravaged. Sales are up 400% at many gun stores. "Evil Black Rifles" are the ones that are selling first because people are trying to get their hands on them before Mr. Obama make them illegal.

I ordered another AR before the election and still have another week or 2 wait until it comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker 1-9 View Post
And also is law working on banning assault rifles for sale to people like myself?
Obama has stated that he plans on banning ALL semi auto's, all gun shows, and all mom and pop stores within 90 days of him taking office. Think about what that means by "all semi autos" that's pretty much every modern pistol made since WWII.

Quote:
nothing personal but what's the draw to a rifle that can't be used hunting in most states if not all.
I own many rifles, but I don't hunt at all. I have no intention of hunting unless things get so bad I cannot buy food at the local grocery store. Remember guns can be used for many more things than just hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
Move to Nevada. Buy them over the counter.

Handguns are just 3 day waits for your first one.
Move to Colorado, 10 minute background check and you can take home whatever you want.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Obama has stated that he plans on banning ALL semi auto's, all gun shows, and all mom and pop stores within 90 days of him taking office. Think about what that means by "all semi autos" that's pretty much every modern pistol made since WWII....
...Move to Colorado, 10 minute background check and you can take home whatever you want.
I personally invite Obama to my house to try to take away my S.A.'s
I've almost got enough to give him a 21 gun salute, if you catch my meaning
Montana is the same as CO... quick background check and if you are clean, you walk out with whatever you want...
Old 12-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Thank God there are still a few "real" Americans left who aren't afraid to speak their minds . Perhaps Mr. Obama is taking a page from a certain German dictator who felt is was for "the good of the people" to disarm them. Why doesn't that make me feel safer....political rant >off.

T.D.

Locked and loaded.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Move to Colorado, 10 minute background check and you can take home whatever you want.
Even for your 1st handgun?

Here it's over the counter for number 2 on.

LOL!! Just for fun.

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_ca.htm

Last edited by FrankyRizzo; 12-05-2008 at 11:06 AM.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #20
RCC Addict