Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 1996 chevy tahoe not starting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 1996 chevy tahoe not starting

okay im not sure if any one can help me out on this or not but, i went out to start my truck dismorning to let it warm up as i do every day . it started fine went it the house to get my daughter ready to take her to my moms so i could get to work. well just as im walking out the door my truck shuts off . so i tryed to restart it and now it turns over but no start . my question is : is the fuel pump suppossed to make a noise with the key turned on ? cause im hearing nothing checked all fuses and every thing is good fuel filter was new about a month ago . so does this mean i have a bad fuel pump?

any help is much appreciated
usa1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

When you have the key in the off position, turn it to "run" you should hear the fuel pump, if you don't hear it, that's most likely what happen, but it might not be the fuel pump you could have lost a connection somewhere else.

Easy way to tell, disconnect the fuel pump and supply 12V DC to it.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

thanks will give it a try
Old 12-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #4

Th same exact thing happened to my dads 97 Yukon the year before last.It infact was the fuel pump. We pulled the tank ourselves and replaced the pump and its been running fine since.The whole assembly of the pump was about 300 bucks. And on top of that getting the tank back in was a Big PITA but with a little finesse we got it. Good luck to you sir
MdCrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I would say that is your problem. If you can't here the pump with the key in run than that is it. The late 90s FI setups run the pump at 100% duty cycle and divert excess fuel to the return line back to the tank.

It just sucks those fuel pick up assemblies are all one piece pump, screen, and sending unit. Makes them expensive.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdCrawler89 View Post
Th same exact thing happened to my dads 97 Yukon the year before last.It infact was the fuel pump. We pulled the tank ourselves and replaced the pump and its been running fine since.The whole assembly of the pump was about 300 bucks. And on top of that getting the tank back in was a Big PITA but with a little finesse we got it. Good luck to you sir
Yeah, GM electric fuel pumps normally only last around 100,000 or so. Swapped one in my dads blazer it is a pain to get the tank back up. My brother did one on his Tahoe and it didn't give him to much trouble. Would have been nice if GM put a little removable hatch above the pump.

I run a mechanical pump I don't have to worry about dropping the tank to change mine its on the pass. side of my block
Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Yeah, GM vehicles normally only last around 100,000 or so.
Fixed it for you
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Fixed it for you
Really? My SS has 210,000, my Dads El Camino 250,000(it has had a body off resto though) 1994 Blazer 235,000. A Ford is lucky if it makes it 50,000 with out puking radiator fluid.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

if you have someone to help .....go remove your gas cap and hold your ear to the opening and have someone turn the key ,you can definetly hear if the fuel pump is working or not
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Really? My SS has 210,000, my Dads El Camino 250,000(it has had a body off resto though) 1994 Blazer 235,000. A Ford is lucky if it makes it 50,000 with out puking radiator fluid.
Don't get him started on the Fords. He is not a big 3 fan.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
Nope I like long lasting vehicles with the quality and features needed to live in Michigans climate, plus the Turbo is a huge benefit . My 4 cylinder vehicle easily makes better fuel economy than an old SS as well as more power. Not even a single American car can compete with my choice...I wish one could I would have bought one.

People keeping old cars or only buying older cars are hurting our economy more than even foreign sales. Shaun's SS is so old service parts are no longer available or mandatory to support. Who's needed to support his car; only aftermarket stores such as Summit or AutoZone. While my foreign car still needs factory service centers for warranty and service, dealers, trucking, and the same aftermarket support companies. Don't forget my vehicle is insured at a higher rate, I pay more to vehicle registration than an old car, and my loan company is fully American.

Last edited by binaryterror; 12-17-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Nope I like long lasting vehicles with the quality and features needed to live in Michigans climate, plus the Turbo is a huge benefit . My 4 cylinder vehicle easily makes better fuel economy than an old SS as well as more power. Not even a single American car can compete with my choice...I wish one could I would have bought one.

People keeping old cars or only buying older cars are hurting our economy more than even foreign sales. Shaun's SS is so old service parts are no longer available or mandatory to support. Who's needed to support his car; only aftermarket stores such as Summit or AutoZone. While my foreign car still needs factory service centers for warranty and service, dealers, trucking, and the same aftermarket support companies. Don't forget my vehicle is insured at a higher rate, I pay more to vehicle registration than an old car, and my loan company is fully American.
I can still get most parts at the dealer for the SS, and I can still get ALL service parts.

And who would say I would go to auto zone or summit? There's Salvage yards, if we are talking about being economically responsible you should not buy from the dealer anyway, you can find your parts at a salvage yard, better to use whats already on this earth than to use the energy to make a new part.

And just so you know your little 4 banger is not more economically responsible, it took more man power, and resources to create your new car, and dispose of your old car than my SS will ever use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
Aww, I was thinking this would be a Ford .vs GM pissing match. I guess he's just a USDM hating import driving foo!

Last edited by Shaun; 12-17-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

If the challenge is to pay more money, you definitely win. I choose not to afford new cars and the associated costs.

that said, I'm all about japanese car quality and awesomeness. Nissans are my favorite car by far.

Also, I'm all about my american truck. The right vehicle for the job requires a more global view
cuban b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Just do basic maintenance on any vehicle and it will last along time, my ford ranger has a little over 74k and have had no issues since day one.
ClodMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

You guys that are paying 300 bucks for a sending unit are suckers... A Walbro 255 is less than 100 bucks and drops into the factory sending unit. It is also of higher quality than stock.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
You guys that are paying 300 bucks for a sending unit are suckers... A Walbro 255 is less than 100 bucks and drops into the factory sending unit. It is also of higher quality than stock.
They were talking about the assembly.

You can get the pump, or the whole assembly.

Pump
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/pro...ype=52&PTSet=A

Assembly
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/pro...ype=52&PTSet=A

Last edited by Shaun; 12-17-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
if we are talking about being economically responsible.

And just so you know your little 4 banger is not more economically responsible, it took more man power, and resources to create your new car, and dispose of your old car than my SS will ever use.
Who said economically responsible? I know I didn't. To help out the economy at large money needs to be spent, not hoarded. Hence the idea of Economic Stimulus packages.

My car is likely twice as fuel economic; while carrying more power, more safety features, more comfort options, oh and far more enviromentally friendly.

I'm saying any new vehicle sale, be it foreign or american offers more economic help to a country in turmoil.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

with the key in the on position. hit the tank with your fist. sometimes the pump will start up and run for a minute.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:13 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

well i priced the fuel pump at napa almost 300 bucks. so i called around and found the complete assembly for 98 at o'riley auto so i guess tommorow i will be dropping the tank and replacing it . what really sucks is i just filled the tank the other day thanks to all that responded
Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

You haven't lived until you dropped the tank to replace a fuel pump on a late model F-Body (Camaro/ Firebird) that's a great time!!

NOT!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote