Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Brushless Willy Speed Results. (minor 56k)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Brushless Willy Speed Results. 56K Beater

Hello all. WELL, finally got some time to go play. Dad came up for dinner this evening and then we loaded up our Willys and headed to the parking lot. First off to establish a baseline, Dad's stock Willy was clocked. He ran a blistering 13mph, not bad for a stock Willy. Then, Brushless Willy came out to play. First run, 6 cell pack and best of 5 runs. With the 6 cell we hit 22mph as a best. Then, add another cell and a fresh 6 cell pack for a 7 cell run. Best of 5 we ran 26mph. Dump those packs and load another fresh 6 cell pack and a custom 2 cell pack for an 8 cell run. Took 8 tries to get the hang of launching this thing BUT it is impressive. Especially for something with a 7.750 wheelbase Did 5 runs on 8 cells and was able to lock in 28mph on the radar gun. On the last run with this set up Dad says Willy clocked 34mph when he went by. However Dad forgot to let go of the trigger on the gun to lock the speed on the display! Did figure out 8 cells is really good for 600 foot burnouts
Had one very very bad accident on a full throttle run. Cartwheeled probably 8-10 times (very noisy) and splatted up against a chain-link fence. All is ok, only injury was Willy lost his right foot somehow during the impact. What is next you say? Well, time to gear up and stretch the wheelbase some more. Also need to upgrade tires, stock Willy rubbers SUCK. We'll get to 40mph, dunno when but we will Pics for your enjoyment, sorry no action shots or video. No action shots because Dad can't operate the camera. No video because my computer pooped itself and I am running a 450mhz IBM in the meantime!

Last edited by RCALLOYS; 09-15-2005 at 01:53 PM.
RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
06 Super National Champ

lmao.

Someone did a good job with pics!

(although I think you cheated by locking the high speed and taking a poser shot) ;)

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 09-11-2005 at 09:29 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Uh huh, was wondering how long it would take someone to post up saying I cheated because of the poser shot. Of all people, sheesh........you know me better than that Jason. I would never cheat. If ya want, you can call my Dad tomorrow to get a verification of Willy's speed from him. LOL Would have been difficult and dangerous to stand behind the radar man, drive Willy and fire off a pic as he went to get the radar gun in the picture. Sucks not having a 'puter that will do video. Once my puter comes back to life we'll do some video footage.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
06 Super National Champ

I was saying you cheated with pics. Didn't take them while Willy was moving. ;)

I'd love to see you fire off a shot like that and keep everything in focus as it passed by that close at 28mph.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Bah, I know what you meant Jason. Just have to give ya trouble. We did attempt to shoot pics looking past the radar gun and it's display AND get Willy in the background. Produced more of an abstract art type thing than a photograph Pretty trippy. Video camera is the answer. Hoping later this month after my puter is back and Willy has been tweaked more, to shoot video.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

that's one hot Willy! can't wait to see what you do with a long Willy.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
that's one hot Willy! can't wait to see what you do with a long Willy.

To tell you the truth...I don't want to see it!
Old 09-12-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
To tell you the truth...I don't want to see it!
Thankfully for Braceysdad, you don't have to. He personally showed Microgoat what can be done with a long willy.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:39 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Thankfully for Braceysdad, you don't have to. He personally showed Microgoat what can be done with a long willy.
and now it's a Wet Willy!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Longer Willy

Decided to make Willy longer today Was able to add a whopping .987 to the wheelbase which required some chassis mods (hacking). Also 3 pairs of misc. spacers to get everything bolted back together. Turned out pretty nice and is rather stout for the way I went about it. Spacers were made for control arms, shock mounts and the control arm brace contraption. Had to open up the chassis as well where the steering linkage goes through and flip the servo around. Was worried about steering but it all worked out cool. Will take him for a hot lap this week later and see how we did.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Soooooo....

now it's a Slick Willy?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #12
Adilynsdad too!

Micro, You Tell Me. How Slick Was It?
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:18 AM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

28 mph isnt too bad for your first attempts. did you get some temp readings by chance? im sure you had lots of head room, but a temp reading would let you know how much you can gear up (once you gear up again and take another temp reading). does the novak manual give you a max operating temp on the motor? i would give it 150F to be safe, 175F to push it, and 200F for maxxing it out. past 100C is asking for trouble on most motors.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:02 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Temps were very nice for controller and motor. Motor was about 110 and the controller, 135 so I am guessing we have room to gear up. Did manage to come up with a tire combo. Was fiddling around with some old Traxxas wheels (Nitro Sport) and began to wonder if cutting the beads off them would work on Willy wheels. Turns out yes, the Traxxas wheels once removed...... their ID was perfect to press OVER Willy's wheels. Get to keep stock wheels, correct offset and use 2.2 rubbers. Also can remove the 2.2 beads and go back to stock Willy tires. Mounted up a set of very old Amark slicks I got off E-Bay years ago. They are about 4.750 in diameter so that is a .500 gain over Willy's stock tires. Out for a hot lap we went and WOW, a few smokey burnouts and the tires came to life. I cannot believe how hard these slicks bite. Hard enough to explode the plastic hexes that drive the wheels Will be making some stainless or aluminum replacements this week! Will be back out maybe this weekend for some more radar runs with the taller back tires. Did some carving on the stock Willy tires as well, the fronts. Put a generous 45 degree angle on both outter and inner edges of the tread. Less tire rolling along the ground plus no square edge to bite when corrective steering is required. No pics of the front tire mods, still limping with my old IBM puter! Few pics of the slicks.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:55 PM   #15
06 Super National Champ

"Super Gripper" on the body and Amark slicks... Lookin' good.

I messed around here a few minutes ago to see what my Novak 5800 would do in a lil' 1:18 (7" wheelbase) truck I have here. 25.7mph on a half-dead 6 cell 1800 pack.

Can't wait to see how fast you get this thing going.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:40 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I agree those armark slicks are sweet......

I found this pic over on the tiny site kinda funny
bulletproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Default Front Tire Pics

Hello all
Managed to get the front tire pictures on the slow computer today. Took it for a hot lap last nite, big time difference on steering. The fronts don't dig anymore when turning, should help on violent rollovers Made my new hexes today but of course my friggin' IBM doesn't like to run USB devices more than once. Sooooo, can't get the pics off the camera! Front tire pictures........

Old 09-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

so now it's a long slick Willy with cut-up rubbers?

sounds really dangerous, yet strangely compelling.