Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: :o

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #1

Default :o

Wow.. I just came back from my LHS, and I was up there getting some supplies for racing.. They do on road racing in all classes (including on road MT's).. so I figured I'd join in and have some fun.. I went up there looking for some 40 series road rage tires, and I walked out with some "Imex X43 Tmaxx Foam w/rim" wheel/tire combo for my Emaxx..

Now the guys that work at my LHS said these werent popular and didnt sell well, but I figured I'd try them anyways (plus I figured, the 40 series are so huge they effectively slow you down especially on a tight on road track made for on road cars)..

So I brought them home.. and let me tell you a few things about my emaxx first.. Its 99% stock, the only mods being a 72 tooth spur gear instead of the stock 68, I run it on 2 matched 3300 racing packs, its <3 weeks old, and its the old style width instead of the widemaxx...

So I mount them, and take them out in the street, and they are flat out AMAZING... SO much faster then I've ever seen the .28 modded LST with road rage at my LHS's track ever go.. The acceleration is unbelievable, I can ride wheelies from a rolling start in 2nd gear with extreme ease! Whats especially nice is since I dont have the widemaxx, and these wheels are so thin my turning radius is superb! If anyone is considering buying road rage tires, or on road racing with any MT, I would HIGHLY recommend these wheels.. They even look awesome mounted!

Best part of it all? If I were to go with the road rage tires I would have spent $70 for 2 sets of 40 series RR tires, and another $60-$70 on the wheels for them, where this setup was $88 for 2 sets of wheels/tires mounted and PREGLUED!

Heres a link to a pic of them from Imexrc.com:

http://www.imexrc.com/new_images/IMX7440.jpg

If I get enough interest I might take a video or some pics of my Emaxx with these on it, let me know if you would like to see that...

I'll also post in this thread how I do racing (keep in mind it will be my first ever time racing, and its on a tight homemade track in a parking lot)

Just letting you guys know!

-Brandon

Last edited by Astrogiblet; 09-14-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Astrogiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Are those foam tires? They look like it, and if they are, they will wear out very quickly. Just to let you know;)
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN
Are those foam tires? They look like it, and if they are, they will wear out very quickly. Just to let you know;)

Yea they are foams.. but I dont think wear should be a problem seeing as I'm gonna only use them to race... I'm just testing them for now, and at $44 a set thats not bad.. not to mention my LHS gives you money to spend there if you win a race or come in the first 3 places, so by the time I need a new set I'll prolly have enough money built up to replace them!!

-Brandon
Old 09-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Foam tires chunk too... Once a tire chunks its trash.

Ive gone through a set of foams in one race day.

BTW keep it off the boards. Foams will thank you.
onefstsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Just make your stock tires into slicks
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

A guy let me use those one time and I put them on my crawler. I also put some tire softening stuff on them. They work surprisingly well on a crawler. They bite hard but don't conform to anything because the foam is super hard. I could see someone carving in a v tread pattern to make them work even better. I have a feeling than many of us are going to start using the foam tires in crawling comps very soon.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:06 PM   #7
RCC Addict

What, is proline or imex coming out with a foam crawling tire?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
A guy let me use those one time and I put them on my crawler. I also put some tire softening stuff on them. They work surprisingly well on a crawler. They bite hard but don't conform to anything because the foam is super hard. I could see someone carving in a v tread pattern to make them work even better. I have a feeling than many of us are going to start using the foam tires in crawling comps very soon.

Yea.. the only problem I have so far is (1) they get dirty easy, (2) they slide a lot and dont get hot like the RR tires do and (3) they lift off the road WAY too easy and dont hold a perfect line turning like they should...

-Brandon

Last edited by Astrogiblet; 09-15-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

1) you dont race on carpet
2) you dont race on carpet?
3) adjust your driving style. the car not holding a line is because you no longer have heavy tires keeping it steady. read the road better and plan for it. as far as the tires lifting, have you adjusted your shock oil to compensate for the ligher unsprung weight and lack of tire dampening? your cg is now higher as well because of the diet the wheels went on, so your ride height should probably be changed as well to treat your wheel lifting.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
1) you dont race on carpet
2) you dont race on carpet?
3) adjust your driving style. the car not holding a line is because you no longer have heavy tires keeping it steady. read the road better and plan for it. as far as the tires lifting, have you adjusted your shock oil to compensate for the ligher unsprung weight and lack of tire dampening? your cg is now higher as well because of the diet the wheels went on, so your ride height should probably be changed as well to treat your wheel lifting.

I already changed my ride height so its as low as can be.. but thats when the wheels really started sliding and the front started lifting up..

-Brandon