Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: towers at it again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #1

Default towers at it again

got a tower email today the cliff climber are on sale again for $119.
almost makes me want to go ahead and get another one.

Last edited by ESForeman450; 04-20-2009 at 01:19 PM.
ESForeman450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Location: Marion, iowa where no fun happens,ok, maybe once in a long while!!

is that rtr or artr?
T600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #3

omnimodels.com same price but free shipping! anything above $100 you get free shipping. The $119 is RTR all you need is battery and charger, unless you already have one. Dont get me wrong I never bought anything from Tower do they have free shipping also???
TheCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

You need 2 batteries.
C-MuRdaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #5

yeah it's rtr. and no tower doesn't have free shipping, unless you join they're savings club. and then shipping is free. and i think you get other discounts too. i think it's like $10 a year for the membership, i kinda wish i joined awhile back. because i'd paid for the member afew times on shipping. putting my stampede back together after all the breakdowns it's had.
ESForeman450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #6

I just got a new TH flyer in the mail and the CC is in there and it says something like "While supplies last". I wouldn't be surprised if Tower stops carrying these soon. I don't see how they can be making money on them at these prices. In fact, I'd guess they're losing money.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESForeman450 View Post
got a tower email today the cliff climber are on sale again for $119.
almost makes me want to go ahead and get another one.
119.95 plus 10.00 off for spending a hunderd bucks or more but no free shipping unless you join the members club thing -
activethunderrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

A friend ordered for me the ARTR CC from tower (cuz he's in the states, and worldwide shipping on these stuff is alot), and i've put the 10$ off code on 50$+ orders (btw this code i got it from somewhere in this forum, and wasn't sure if it would work,,, well it did :P). The ARTR CC was 59.99 - so it's 49.99 and then u add 10$ shipping. ARTR CC for 60$? Now that's how you do it!!! I'm eager to get my hands on that thing, oooh boy!

EDIT: Oh, i guess he will be shocked how big this thing is... He has quite a lot of baggage with him, so i wonder how much he would yell at me
ccbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

BTW the tower savings club only gets you free shipping if you spend more than $150 on an order... It's $34 a year and you get a free subscription to RC car action or some others and double warranty on and only on tower branded items... Not worth it. I've ordered over $150 maybe twice.. most my orders with them are for parts $30-$50.. Bearings and stampede drive shafts... etc... I like tower for some stuff, but I try to support the smaller guys like RCP, RPP, TCS, etc...

Cheers,

Rob
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

http://www.towerhobbies.com/ssc.html
Check that link first, it's $10 right now per year, $18.98 for two years. You also get access to members only offers in the scratch and dent section, along with emails with coupon codes for up to $60 off. It may not be worth it for buying parts here and there, but it's well worth it when making big purchases. That being said, most people spend the bulk of their money on parts, and where better to get parts? Your local hobby store of course. What many people don't understand about the industry, is you can still save money on big purchases and buy from the big guys but help the locals as well by buying parts.
One other thing to note though, is that I've noticed many places like Tower tend to jack up the prices on their items quite a bit more so than other places from time to time. It doesn't happen often, but I've noticed it on a few items like radios and whatnot.

I personally buy from both tower and the local shops. The super saver club has made it worth it for me, and sometimes the easy pay plan helps as well. Other times, I'll go into the local hobby shop and get my stuff, usually at a pretty good price that at least matches if not lower than the price tower has.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

hey tcabner,

Sorry on the price, I was just reading the tower talk ad I got in the mail yesterday, on the back cover... I agree on buying parts from the LHS, if and ONLY if you have a LHS... Here in Monterey, CA, we do not. There a joke of a place called SRS hobbies in Salinas that never has ANYTHING in stock 'cept 1/8 nitro stuff, and thats pretty bleak selection too. The next closest place is Hobbytown USA in San Jose. They are fantastic people to buy from and they are very crawler friendly, but it's 2hrs roundtrip... The tower club is great if you're making lots of large purchases, but most people are not...

My main reason for posting was the above comments about the club providing free shipping, regardless of price... I'd be pretty bummed if I didn't read that right and went to check out only to find a shipping charge...
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well, actually I had to go back and read through their stuff because when I read your comment about the $150 minimum for shipping, I was like "huhhh, that ain't right"....but yeah, read back through and there it was, $150 minimum order. That's kinda shady, but it's the norm for big business nowadays I suppose.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I just got a new TH flyer in the mail and the CC is in there and it says something like "While supplies last". I wouldn't be surprised if Tower stops carrying these soon. I don't see how they can be making money on them at these prices. In fact, I'd guess they're losing money.
Tower is owned by Hobbico which owns Duratrax. They get all of the margin, no middle men. Don't count on them stopping these anytime soon You would be surprised how cheap they can sell things.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Omni is also part of the Great Planes/Hobbico empire.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #15
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
Omni is also part of the Great Planes/Hobbico empire.
With about 10-15 others.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I bet Wal-Mart will be selling these things soon. I didn't think anyone even ran these rigs. They can't compete in the 1.9 class and not worthy enough for the 2.2 class.... what good are they?
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
not worthy enough for the 2.2 class.... what good are they?
Couple of obstacles left to conquer, and then they will be "worthy" of the 2.2 class. No one in the past spent the time to look into them deeply due to the Axial and Losi MRC being all the rage. Times are changing though, and a few of us are experimenting and finding ways to improve these rigs.

Remember, OCM/Bergs weren't all that popular with this forum either when they first came out.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
I bet Wal-Mart will be selling these things soon. I didn't think anyone even ran these rigs. They can't compete in the 1.9 class and not worthy enough for the 2.2 class.... what good are they?
Super cheap, super capable for their size and 95% of people will never comp.