Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Need advice

Hey guys. I dont usually get worried about all these flu's and diseases and stuff but this swine flu has me scared shitless.. and I dont really watch the news much.

I know this much, in one day the number of cases in this country have nearly doubled. I live in Tennessee and there have already been confirmed cases in both williamson county and in davidson county (nashville). The guy in williamson county (about 30-40 miles from my home was sent to the CDC, and is now quarantined in his home).

I'm seriously worried about my kids. I have three daughters in school, And two small babies at home. Two of my daughters live with my wife and I and go to the local school district the other lives with her mother and goes to a private school close to her school. Her mom works in nashville where there has already been a confirmed case.

I'm gonna watch how this thing unfolds over the weekend. But on monday if it doesnt look any better I'm probably going to pull the kids out of school...

What do you guys think about this.

Also, since my baby mama works in nashville where there has already been a case, and since she lives with my other daughter, do you think I should have her pulled out of school, and make her come stay with me for a while.

Last edited by soundcolor; 04-30-2009 at 01:14 PM.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
06 Super National Champ

You'd be even more worried if you saw cases of the regular flu portrayed in the media the way they're working this swine flu.

36,000 people died in the US of the flu last year. Hundreds of thousands worldwide.

http://www.theblogofrecord.com/tag/flu-death-worldwide/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza

Here's a fact for you. The bird flu we heard so much about? Yup...it's still going.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 04-30-2009 at 01:39 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Just teach them how to properly wash their hands and instruct them to wash frequently and they should be good to go.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
You'd be even more worried if you saw cases of the regular flu portrayed in the media the way they're working this swine flu.

36,000 people died in the US of the flu last year. Hundreds of thousands worldwide.

Here's a fact for you. The bird flu we heard so much about? Yup...it's still going.

EXACTLY!!
ElChupoCabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The media once again is turning a small problem into a huge pandemic. The retarded media publishing false stories (they keep saying case, when they should state possible or suspected, or better yet -> UNCONFIRMED). This is nothing more than Yellow Journalism and its causing a problem, not helping it.

Also even the WHO when they raised the level to 5, had zero evidence to support the claim.

More people died of the Human Influenza today than the swine flu was confirmed in.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post

This.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Donkey Punch Champion!

Run to Mexico, it's safe there.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

thanks guys...
I guess I needed a good barometer
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
Run to Mexico, it's safe there.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

do yourself a favour and stop watching so much cnn or fox news or tv in general...
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

x eleventy-billion on all said.
It's no worse than the regular flu, take the same precautions.
If someone in your family does seem to have flu-like symptoms, odds are they have the flu (flying-pig flu or regular old fun-times flu), treat it the same way you always would.
Lots of fluids, but try to avoid gatorade or other such sports drinks, if you have diarrhea the sugar contained will only make it worse, and if you don't it might help you get there.... Try Smart Water, it's electrolyte enhanced water that will do the same thing as gatorade, but without the sugar. Or you can do half gatorade and half water, you get some extra electrolytes, but not as much sugar. The new G2 from Gatorade is better on the sugar content, but still don't drink too much of it.
Eat bananas. If you have diarrhea it will help to replace the potassium lost.
If it feels like a head cold on crack, start a very hot shower and sit in the bathroom with the doors closed breathing the steam, try getting Shower Soothers, its a tab-type thing that dissolves in the shower and releases a menthol aroma that helps to clear the sinuses.
If your kids get sick, pull them from school. Not because of the bacon virus, but because spreading any type of flu bugs around the school just isn't very nice.
Same with you and work.

Cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing, then wash your hands, it does no good to cough on your hand then touc a doorknob, might as well have coughed on the person who next touches that doorknob.

People always say handwashing, but no one listens well enough. It really is the #1 way to stop the spread of germs. Seriously. 15 seconds of brisk rubbing with hot (-ish) water and antibacterial soap, many times a day. Keeping a bottle of hand sanitizer around also is very good. They dry out your hands, if you use lotion, get an unscented one. Scented ones tend to harbor bacterial growth better, best is to not use any, if you keep well-hydrated enough, you shouldn't need it anyway.

hope this helps
~Jess
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote