Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Anyone still shooting film?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Anyone still shooting film?

My dad was digging through his boxes and found his old Olympus OM10 camera. He was gonna trash it but I could not let him do it, I remember being a kid 4 or 5 and remember my dad shooting pictures of my brother and I with that camera. Well I have it now and was wondering if anyone had any tips on shooting film.

Here is a picture.

nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Infinite pixels ftw
Karadjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Who's your Daddy-0!

I still have a few 35mm laying around 35mm will never go away completely. Go take a class for beginners, classes are cheap and fun
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I still use an old Leica from time to time. My mother had bought this from East Germany like 40 years ago. You can't beat Leica lenses. BTW I will disagree with infinite pixels thing.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

We still have one of our Canon AE1 Program 35mm cameras stored away in the closet. We have a few different lenses for it and other items that we "had to have" while taking photography in high school and college. One of these days we'll take it out and play with it again.

Can you still buy film?
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

as much as i love my Nikon D60 D-SLR, i still think film is cool. ive got an old pentax 35mm in a closet that needs some repair, it was my dad's like 15yrs ago.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
I still have a few 35mm laying around 35mm will never go away completely. Go take a class for beginners, classes are cheap and fun
I was planning on taking a class, I'm looking around to see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
I still use an old Leica from time to time. My mother had bought this from East Germany like 40 years ago. You can't beat Leica lenses. BTW I will disagree with infinite pixels thing.
This camera was bought in 1979 by my dad when he was my age (19). I love this camera and plan to use the hell out of it. I'm bidding on a couple zoom lenses on the bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
We still have one of our Canon AE1 Program 35mm cameras stored away in the closet. We have a few different lenses for it and other items that we "had to have" while taking photography in high school and college. One of these days we'll take it out and play with it again.

Can you still buy film?
Yes you can still buy film , and I hope it will stay that way for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
as much as i love my Nikon D60 D-SLR, i still think film is cool. ive got an old pentax 35mm in a closet that needs some repair, it was my dad's like 15yrs ago.

I too love my D-SLR, but film is so cool to play with, and this camera belonged to my dad so it has a nostalgic feel to it.

I'll be going to wall mart to get some film tomorrow, and I'll have pictures soon.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have a couple film camera's from my dad, a Nikon and an Olympus also. Don't know if I'll ever use em though, but when I was a kid we too used to go on photography trips. A friend of his worked for an airline in the 70's and he would get trips and take photo's for their brochures.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
You can't beat Leica lenses.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I just bought my dad a nice Canon AE-1 with four lenses 28mm wide angle up to a 200mm. He just had to have it
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I still have a bunch of 35mm film stuff. Can't seem to part with it. Partly for sentimental reasons, partly because of how much I spent on it and now it's pretty much worthless :(!

As for tips, really a lot is the same as digital, just takes longer and you don't see the results for a lot longer either! If it's a manual camera, it'll be great for learning about setting exposure, timing, etc. Depends how patient you are as to whether you decide to stick with it.

Quote:
Can you still buy film?
You can still buy it, it's finding places to process it that's the difficult part.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
dkf
Rock Crawler

I have relatives that refuse to go digital so they use 35mm. Developing 35mm is friggin expensive now, last time they wanted $7 to develop 24.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_744 View Post
I just bought my dad a nice Canon AE-1 with four lenses 28mm wide angle up to a 200mm. He just had to have it
How much did you pay for that set up? I'm looking to buy one for my brother and I would like to know what a decent price is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
I still have a bunch of 35mm film stuff. Can't seem to part with it. Partly for sentimental reasons, partly because of how much I spent on it and now it's pretty much worthless :(!

As for tips, really a lot is the same as digital, just takes longer and you don't see the results for a lot longer either! If it's a manual camera, it'll be great for learning about setting exposure, timing, etc. Depends how patient you are as to whether you decide to stick with it.

You can still buy it, it's finding places to process it that's the difficult part.
I don't think film will ever go away for that exact reason, people have spent too much money on these things

I love photography and I love walking around my town just taking pictures, I'm hoping to get another 35mm camera to put a black and white roll in it. I have spent almost all of my time lately with this camera and its lots of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I have relatives that refuse to go digital so they use 35mm. Developing 35mm is friggin expensive now, last time they wanted $7 to develop 24.
I have a walmart about a block away that processes film foe 4.75$ for a 24, and you can get your pictures put into a CD for 2.50$.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I have an old pentax 35mm SLR with broken electronics and an old 4x5 with a broken shutter sitting around the house, I have fond memories of using them in high school when I thought I was an artist. I've contemplated getting a digital back for the 4x5 but they're so damn expensive I just can't justify it. I also doubt I'll ever fix the pentax, digital is so much less trouble.

As for tips shooting film, just remember to take brackets with different exposures just so you don't miss that really nice pic. And you should pay close attention to composition and lighting, film ain't free!

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 05-13-2009 at 11:09 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
And you should pay close attention to composition and lighting, film ain't free!
I think that's why digital has really taken over. With film you really need to pay attention to what you are doing so you can come home with a good picture. Digital means that you can take 2000 pictures and if you get 3 or 4 that are good that's just fine since all you wasted was time, not money.

Plus, with the internet, getting those printed photos to the web is hard if you don't have the equipment to make that happen. Digital is just one click away from getting onto the internet.

I'm headed for the closet to dig out the AE-1 right now.....
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Well guys I shot about 5 rolls of film so far and I'm getting better. I also picked up a AE-1 with a vivitar 70-210mm lens. I have quite a few shots that I think are decent. If you guys are interested I'll post them up.

The canon is nice and the features are easy use, but I'm shooting with them both. On the subject about the prints being hard to get on the web, I have been getting mine put into CD's for 4.50$ so that skips the having to scan them and upload them.

Post up some of your pictures Digital or film
Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I still have a Pentax P3 that I got for my highschool graduation a couple decades ago. I will have to find it, I used to take some great photos with it.
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #18
Who's your Daddy-0!

I picked up a Canon EOS Rebel XT today at WalMart for $220!!!! They had them on clearance and only had the display left. So the manager gave me the clearance price + 20% off and they still allowed me to buy the $19.99 2 year extended warranty plan I couldn't turn it down! It only had a couple of scratches where they would take it off display every night and put it in the cabinet! Everyone else in town has them for $499 and up! SCORE
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

bout once a month i go to walmart's photo lab/shop and get all there empty 35mm film containers for stuff in my R/C tool/pit box, muzzleloading powder charges or what ever i need them for, i get bout 30 a month..............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote