Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Who has more aftermarket support?
Tuners (aka ricers) 17 45.95%
Jeepers (aka offroaders) 20 54.05%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Whos got bigger aftermarket support? Tuners or Jeepers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Powered by Awesome

Default Whos got bigger aftermarket support? Tuners or Jeepers?

This is an ongoing arguement at my work with a couple of Tuners. They say there is a crazy amount of aftermarket support for the Tuner crowd but i say that the offroad croud has WAY more support then them... ie local stores and catalogues where i can order an entire jeep in pieces from the ground up.

Whats your thoughts and do you have anyway to prove it?
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Over here I'd say there's more aftermarket parts for Jap vehicles than 4x4s, but they both pail in comparison to the support for Minis. You could build a ton of different cars with all the aftermarket parts you can get for 'em over here.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Not sure if I can prove it, that would be hard one. Both sports have a ton of brick and mortor shops pluss the online support. This should be interesting.
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedXT View Post
This is an ongoing arguement at my work with a couple of Tuners. They say there is a crazy amount of aftermarket support for the Tuner crowd but i say that the offroad croud has WAY more support then them... ie local stores and catalogues where i can order an entire jeep in pieces from the ground up.

Whats your thoughts and do you have anyway to prove it?
Considering that Jeep has been around since 1941 it would only be natural to think that the aftermarket for Jeeps is huge.

The tuner crowd grew by leaps and bounds when Fast and Furious came out.

Between the two it's a tough call. Personally I don't care as long as I can get the parts I need for the bastard child axles that are under my Jeep.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Myself being a honda dork I voted tuners. The only reason I would say the jeep(4x4) aftermarket is lower is because the majority is centered around the US. Worldwide I would say the tuner scene is way bigger than the 4x4.
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

unfortunately, i'd have to say tuners...

i mean, just look at all the crap they can get by just going down the street to advanced or pep boys...
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

no contest ricers.

just go to your local autozone or advanced. you can buy exhausts, cold airs, head/tail lights and 40,000 LED products right off the shelf.
not too many lift kits, skid plates or locking hubs hanging on the wall....
same thing with ebay.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The difference is not just time, but quantity of vehicles. Theres not that many Jeep models when you compare it to all the possible Tuner platforms (multiple brands, chassis, engines). Not to mention tuners can be drift, race, time attack, auto-x, show, sound, drag. Jeeps are mainly off-road oriented.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
no contest ricers.

just go to your local autozone or advanced. you can buy exhausts, cold airs, head/tail lights and 40,000 LED products right off the shelf.
not too many lift kits, skid plates or locking hubs hanging on the wall....
same thing with ebay.
don't forget the 2 foot tall "adjustable" wings, too...
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

could you rename that. I am a suzuki nut and am highly offended when I am called a Jeeper.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
could you rename that. I am a suzuki nut and am highly offended when I am called a Jeeper.
UH...suzuki falls under tuner, no rename needed.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Personally I don't care as long as I can get the parts I need for the bastard child axles that are under my Jeep.
Now that's some funny shit right there. Even funnier since it's true.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I'm going with offroader parts. Like already mentioned above...I can go out and buy a brand new Jeep body and start from there and build a whole vehicle out of a catalog not using OEM parts. Kinda like how easliy you can now put together a brand new '69 Camaro.

Just because Autozone, Pepboys and Checker carry tuner parts doesn't mean it's a stronger aftermarket. That just means they are catering more to the tuner crowd than the offroad crowd. Hell...Pepboys carries Traxxas too :? I can still go into these parts stores and buy a crapload of parts for my Jeep. I can name plenty of places that carry nothing but offroad parts as well as someone else could name numerous places that only deal in tuner stuff.

How about throwing another group into this......the muscle cars. Now tell me which has more aftermarket support.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

If by "support" you mean "parts that actually do something" then Jeepers have way more.

If you mean "clear tail lights and stick-on fender louvers" then the ricers have it.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

i would like to think tuners got more options, but i can only find one company that makes a locker for my 1st gen Xterra.
ARB.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

What constitutes "aftermarket?" Store bought items, catalog bought items and online bought items or are parts made by yourself included? I think a great majority of 4X4'ers ("Jeepers", in this case) have the insane ability to fab up stuff on their own without using a park bench or three 2x4's to make a "spoiler, duude." If aftermarket includes anything else that you've made yourself or done by yourself to your rig then I say Jeepers have it. But, if it's store bought stuff, ricer's have it.

That's just my view on what "aftermarket" means to me.
Donziikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
don't forget the 2 foot tall "adjustable" wings, too...
That double as stadium seating at the local little league field
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #18
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
What constitutes "aftermarket?" Store bought items, catalog bought items and online bought items or are parts made by yourself included? I think a great majority of 4X4'ers ("Jeepers", in this case) have the insane ability to fab up stuff on their own without using a park bench or three 2x4's to make a "spoiler, duude." If aftermarket includes anything else that you've made yourself or done by yourself to your rig then I say Jeepers have it. But, if it's store bought stuff, ricer's have it.

That's just my view on what "aftermarket" means to me.
I define aftermarket as anything that isn't an OEM part that is mass produced. It's either an upgraded part (ie...stronger, or does the same job differently), or is a direct fit replacement that isn't OEM.

If you need to replace the factory battery in your 2006 Toyota, you can go to the dealer and get an OEM factory replacement part. This is not aftermarket. But if you go into Checker, Autozone, whatever and buy a battery off their shelf, whether it's "direct fit" or not....is an aftermarket option.

It depends on how you look at it. I don't see home fabricated parts as an "aftermarket" because it's not mass production. But, if you define aftermarket as any part that is produced to replace an existing OEM part...then I guess a home fabricated bumper could be.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #19
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
i would like to think tuners got more options, but i can only find one company that makes a locker for my 1st gen Xterra.
ARB.
Well............it IS an Xterra
Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
If by "support" you mean "parts that actually do something" then Jeepers have way more.

If you mean "clear tail lights and stick-on fender louvers" then the ricers have it.
Thats what I was thinking too.... You go to Pepboys and they have a whole row just geared towards Tuners... But all it is. Is bolt gas peddles, Plug in Cig Lights, Glow in the Dark Shifter Handles, Bolt Tips, Decals, and Gauges...Etc...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote