Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: gray area for Nissan owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default gray area for Nissan owners

i hope this isn't headed me towards hot water, i'm simply trying to pass out a helper that was passed to me.

ok here go to this site, its FSM's for guys 2000-2009.

i will post a link to a link.
that should get us far enough away fom the gray area of copyright.
Quote:
The question of whether one can be liable for copyright infringement even if one does not copy the protected material is still open in a number contexts. There does not appear to be a definitive answer on whether posting a link to a site for copying the protected material (yes, viewing material from a web page is a form of copying that material since it is copied into the computers memory) gives rise to any liabilty.
mods feel free to remove if needed.
look through my link to find a post with the motherload.
NEXterra.org
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

flying spaghetti monster?
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

In my opinion, when you purchase a car, it should come with the FSM. The dealership/manufacturer should not build a car and leave the user COMPLETELY out of the loop. They are making vehicles these days that are way too proprietary....which is not acceptable to me (and I am sure to others who like to repair their own vehicles).

I work with VERY expensive machines (~$5mill each) and each one we buy, comes with EVERY wiring diagram and repair manual that the user could possibly need. Vehicles should be the same...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
In my opinion, when you purchase a car, it should come with the FSM. The dealership/manufacturer should not build a car and leave the user COMPLETELY out of the loop. They are making vehicles these days that are way too proprietary....which is not acceptable to me (and I am sure to others who like to repair their own vehicles).

I work with VERY expensive machines (~$5mill each) and each one we buy, comes with EVERY wiring diagram and repair manual that the user could possibly need. Vehicles should be the same...
Frankly I'm kinda glad most owners are so far out of the loop. As a mechanic I hate cleaning up after people who try to fix their cars and just mess them up worse. I'm far more bothered that every different manufacturer has a different setup for flashing ECM's, all of which are very expensive. OBDIII standardization is way overdue.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Well, I have repaired my fair share of cars....and am not scared to attempt the majority of repairs that vehicles need. I do know my limits (auto trannys) and will take my vehicle in for certain repairs.

I've flashed the ECM on my Jeep and it didn't cost a dime. Not sure of the procedure on other vehicles.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Frankly I'm kinda glad most owners are so far out of the loop. As a mechanic I hate cleaning up after people who try to fix their cars and just mess them up worse. I'm far more bothered that every different manufacturer has a different setup for flashing ECM's, all of which are very expensive. OBDIII standardization is way overdue.

I agree ....... there are just some things owners dont need to know or try and fix. im on the wholesale side of the parts world and nothing irritates me more then a customer trying to tell me they want to return something because it didnt fix their problem.

as for the OBD side of things ..... OBD3 has its pro's and cons but the manufacturers are fighting it because they want you back at the dealers.

But dont get me wrong, im all for doing your own repairs as long as your smart enough to know whats over your head before you do it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I agree ....... there are just some things owners dont need to know or try and fix. im on the wholesale side of the parts world and nothing irritates me more then a customer trying to tell me they want to return something because it didnt fix their problem.

But dont get me wrong, im all for doing your own repairs as long as your smart enough to know whats over your head before you do it.

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Lately I've been quite the ass when it comes to selling parts. I tell almost every customer that once they buy a part, it's theirs.... if it fits or not, electrical, body or mechanical...no returns. If they assure me that they know what they are doing, then I'll be happy to take their money and I won't give it back.

I love taking money from those guys that like to keep replacing part after part after part to try to fix the problem.... too cheap to let a tech diagnose the real problem but have plenty of money to keep wasting away on parts that are not needed.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Not having a service manual sucks ass. I had to buy a bootlegged FSM off of the 'bay for my Montero just so I could do a tune up properly.

Vehicles are definately moving towards being unservicable at all by the owners. Pretty soon it'll be a trip to the stealership for an oil change because no one else has the ability to do it. I wouldn't be suprised if we see something in the computer that will trip after 3k miles and it'll run like poo untill the oil is changed and the required proprietary software is used to reset it.

I'm nearly at the point of picking up someting with a carburator and points again...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I'm nearly at the point of picking up someting with a carburator and points again...

Yeah... and then complain about not being able to get parts any more
Old 08-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

The most effed up part is, used to you could buy the FSM at the dealership if you wanted.
Now, alot of em wont even sell you one
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcolor View Post
The most effed up part is, used to you could buy the FSM at the dealership if you wanted.
Lets see....
1) Sell you a FSM for $100 and don't see you that often
2) Don't sell you the manual and charge you $100/hr of shop time for every item that you need fixed

If you were the stealership, which would you choose?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Yeah... and then complain about not being able to get parts any more
Good point. Though I was able to pick up a new Weber for my Mazda B2200.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Quote:
You can't even get a Haynes or Chilton for late model cars/trucks. 1999 was the last year. Choad lickers...
Old 08-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Lol new cars.
my 88 s10 does everything a new 2wd truck does. for like 15000 bucks less
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'll sell you a FSM, if it's available for a rig, I'll order it. Plain and simple. My parts department needs to make money just like the service department. Money talks.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
flying spaghetti monster?
Glad I'm not the only one who read it that way the first time through.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
I'll sell you a FSM, if it's available for a rig, I'll order it. Plain and simple. My parts department needs to make money just like the service department. Money talks.
I dont think you can even get one unless you a mitus dealer. They dont even put out a book anymore. Its all PDF files on a disk. I had a buddy copy the disk for me, so I have it.
I had actually tried to buy one from mitsu, and they wouldnt sell me one. I also tried to get a localish repair shop to get me one and mitsu wouldn't sell it to them.

But you can try. Its for an 08 mitsu outlander XLS
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I dont think you can even get one unless you a mitus dealer. They dont even put out a book anymore. Its all PDF files on a disk. I had a buddy copy the disk for me, so I have it.
I had actually tried to buy one from mitsu, and they wouldnt sell me one. I also tried to get a localish repair shop to get me one and mitsu wouldn't sell it to them.

But you can try. Its for an 08 mitsu outlander XLS

Oh... perhaps you didn't know, but I work for Toyota/Lexus/Scion. Not Mitsubishi...

But... just for you, I'll call my contacts and see what they can pull up. Plus, I doubt many general repair shops will have a FSM, most likely they use Mitchell's rather than factory goods. Unless they are a specialty shop that are die-hard Mitsubishi folks and like to flip pages in a book.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #19
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Not having a service manual sucks ass. I had to buy a bootlegged FSM off of the 'bay for my Montero just so I could do a tune up properly.

Vehicles are definately moving towards being unservicable at all by the owners. Pretty soon it'll be a trip to the stealership for an oil change because no one else has the ability to do it. I wouldn't be suprised if we see something in the computer that will trip after 3k miles and it'll run like poo untill the oil is changed and the required proprietary software is used to reset it.

I am sure Toyo can relate to this...

While I was in the back part of the building being the frame hero, this older dude is like "hey I have a ?" so I climb out from my jig saw puzzle and put on my semi-non-asshole looking face and ask him whats up. He then proceeds to ask me if the parts dept is correct in the oil filter wrench he needs for his 09 sienna... He was all bent because the thing is like 40$ + he asked to see mine and when I showed him he was like " This is what I need?? I have one of these at home" I then tried to explain that its a different pattern from a regular oil filter and that you need the toyota one or the one AST (or ATS whatever it is) sells..He definitely did not look happy about that... I could definitely see him going at with a pair of water pump pliers trying to get it off
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
I am sure Toyo can relate to this...

While I was in the back part of the building being the frame hero, this older dude is like "hey I have a ?" so I climb out from my jig saw puzzle and put on my semi-non-asshole looking face and ask him whats up. He then proceeds to ask me if the parts dept is correct in the oil filter wrench he needs for his 09 sienna... He was all bent because the thing is like 40$ + he asked to see mine and when I showed him he was like " This is what I need?? I have one of these at home" I then tried to explain that its a different pattern from a regular oil filter and that you need the toyota one or the one AST (or ATS whatever it is) sells..He definitely did not look happy about that... I could definitely see him going at with a pair of water pump pliers trying to get it off

When folks want a filter wrench for their A1, A4, A6 and other similar cartridge style filters... I'll show them what my favorite tech uses and also refer them to Sears(out of all places), because I know none will want to wait 1-2 weeks for me to get the actual SST from those folks I'd have to call. If they don't like those options/answers... I'll tell them that I'm sure the service department would be happy to change their oil, use the correct oil and do it right the first time. Plus you'd get a free car wash.