Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Lets talk Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Lets talk Scopes

Gun: RRA AR15 Flat top 16" barrel chambered in .223 but will be switching to .22 adapter

I need a scope,
Must be:
under $300 (under $200 preferred)
variable power
matte finish

The first scope I looked at was the BSA tactical scope. Price is $189, bullet drop wheel etc but, locally the shops (Basspro,cabelas etc) have stopped carrying BSA. I currently have 3 BSA scopes (2 catseye and 1 Sweet .22) and have never had any issue at all but, Im hearing stories of people having many issues.

The next scope: Leupold Mark AR in 4-9x44 (I think) comes in at right around $289 online, cant find anyone local that has them though. Leupold usually has really good quality but, they are normally twice that price which makes me wonder if they arent rebranding someone elses scope. It has a bullet drop wheel on the vertical rectile adjuster which is a nice handy feature but will I use it that much since I normally shoot on my range a specified 75 yard target.

The last scope I am looking at: Bushnell 3200 series, $199 price 4-9 x 44 I believe. Matte finish, basically the same scope as the leupold except 1" shorter and $100 cheaper but, no bullet drop wheel.

Other ones I have missed... opinions... suggestions...
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Depends on what you want to do... Since your shooting .22 the BDC type scopes are pretty much useless. I have not found any .22 ammo that is consistent enough to use a scope like that. (my 10/22 has one on it right now) been playing with it for a little while with crappy results. It works better if I just zero it and then hold for elevation. Been wanting to try one of these... http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Mille...0dms%201-4.htm
read some good stuff about it, it looks "right" for an AR, plus it would work good for .22 or .223.
One of the guy's in my rimfire shooting league has a red dot made by Millet and he really likes it, good quality for decent price. There are so many choices out there in this area it is hard to sort out the good from the crap, I thought I found the next scope I wanted but after ten minutes on the internet I find out it won't last a day mounted on a .308... Oh well. I'm just saving big bucks for a Nightforce or U.S. optics, just gonna take longer that's all.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Might check out the Mueller line. I put one on a .17. Very bright and clear. Good prices also.
nomobux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The Bushnell would be a good choice. Also look at the Burris scopes. The Fullfield II line is right in your price range. I have one on my Tikka T3 22-250 and like it. I also have a Mueller Tac II and really like that one if you are looking for a decent mil-dot scope in your price range.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
The Bushnell would be a good choice. Also look at the Burris scopes. The Fullfield II line is right in your price range. I have one on my Tikka T3 22-250 and like it. I also have a Mueller Tac II and really like that one if you are looking for a decent mil-dot scope in your price range.

This one (the tac II) looks pretty good actually, might pick one up for the 10/22 to try.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote