Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: The "Dirt cheap bruiser" story...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Talking The "Dirt cheap bruiser" story...

Just about everyone I know has one of those "deal of a lifetime" stories. You know the kind, "I just bought a new car from so and so, he's getting a divorce and sold it to me for $50!!" Stuff like that. Well, now I have one of those stories, sort of........

I was at the LHS this morning, they were having their monthly 1/10 scale drag races, road course, show-n-shine, and freestyle event. I showed up mainly because I was bored and ended up helping with the event a bit. Well, the LHS is located right next door to a Goodwill store. One of the employees working that day, was keeping an eye on our event in the parking lot. He comes over with a dusty, oily old rc. He asks a couple of the "nitro kids" there if anyone knew what it was. A few of them knew, but just said it was an old Tamiya truck.

I followed the guy back over there and talked to him for a bit. He said that it was just dropped off as a donation!! I told him that I'd like to have it, and he said, "How much would you gimme for it?" I said, "I dunno, some stuff is missing, but I'd give $50 for it."

SOLD

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Well, I'm not much into the bruiser thing (actually, I don't know all that much about 'em myself, I can't tell the diff. between a bruiser, hilux or a mountaineer, I just know that it's one of the three... ), so I wasn't looking to keep it.

I had been looking around for a new basher. I was just looking for something to have fun with and had been kicking around the idea of buying a new stampede. Well, a buddy of mine that works at the same LHS (also a member of this site) wanted it pretty bad. (he already has one of the original 'yota bodies for it) Since he's always given me the hook up on parts and such, I told him that he has first dibs on it. I'm not the greedy type, but I wasn't lookin' to give the thing away either. I told him that I'd be happy to trade it for one of the new emaxx's they've got on the shelf. He jumped at the offer.

So, long story in nutshell, I bought a NIB emaxx for $50 (actually $35 because I had to borrow $15 from him to purchase it in the first place... ).

Not bad for one day!

Here's a few quick pics while it's still in my possession...

-WRM
Attached Images

WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

$50??????????????????????????????? I hate you. I want one of those things soooooooooooooo bad.
Deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I had almost gotten a mountaineer for under $20 with a box of a lot of other stuff, but when I was told about it it was already sold! Since then I have been on a rampage looking for one, but no luck yet. I want one sooooo bad now!
OIT_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

fawkin lucky!!!! i cant get over that you traded it for an emaxx though.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

have you had it runnong yet?
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred
fawkin lucky!!!! i cant get over that you traded it for an emaxx though.
Well, the way I figure it....

I wasn't going to keep it. I've got WAY too many projects as it is. I didn't feel like cleaning it up, making sure all the parts are there, hell, I don't even know if it works. I was just looking for a quick turnover. I guestimated that I could MAYBE get around 400 bones for it as is, maybe less. And since I wanted a basher, the emaxx sounded like a good idea. I don't own a single nitro vehicle, so I didn't want to shell out additional money for a starter box (or whatever), fuel, and plus, I don't have a clue on how to tune one. Parts availability is awesome, and I've owned one in the past, so I knew what I was getting into. Plus, I made a friend happy, and ensured myself a good deal at the LHS whenever I need anything.

-WRM
Old 12-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
have you had it runnong yet?
ok nevermind
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
Sinking with the ship

Default score

That truck had an interesting tire combo going on it, I mean that would have easily made it worth $400 LOL j/k

what a shame that someone hacked a huge hole in the top of the radio box...that radio box alone is close to a $100

I dunno about a trade for an emaxx though , shoulda went for a clod buster

eitherway you got a good deal and made a friend happy, thats good enough for me.

MIke
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
06 Super National Champ

Want your $50 back?
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
Want your $50 back?
I've actually heard that a couple of times today.

Well, the guy who's getting it from me likes to wheel and deal a bit. Soooo....if anybody has something to trade (or some Christmas cash burning a hole in your pocket), feel free to overload his PM box...

it's: "one2crawl"

-he's REALLY gonna like my telling that....

-WRM
Old 12-04-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Nice score

its a hilux not a bruiser
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:07 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

That is not a briser.... the radio box is different I think it is actually a Blazing Blazer which is worth a little more... if you had the body youd be on easy street
Grape Ape !!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Holy momma of the cardboard box on which my dinner sits!
I HATE YOU!

*runs off to check the local thrift stores*
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

It's a Blazin Blazer. The Hilux and Blazer had aluminun frames, but the Blazer had paddle tires on wider rims. I actually picked my Blazer up from a guy that ran a body shop. It had been sitting on a shelf for about 20 years and was covered in overspray. It was complete and unpainted, a few slight scratches and missing the driver. I gave 50 bucks for it.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:47 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaclodking
It's a Blazin Blazer. The Hilux and Blazer had aluminun frames, but the Blazer had paddle tires on wider rims. I actually picked my Blazer up from a guy that ran a body shop. It had been sitting on a shelf for about 20 years and was covered in overspray. It was complete and unpainted, a few slight scratches and missing the driver. I gave 50 bucks for it.
May the fleas of a thousand Camels infest your nostirls.....
I want one of those, you lucky bystard.
Madcratebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:28 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjeepbruiser
what a shame that someone hacked a huge hole in the top of the radio box...that radio box alone is close to a $100
Yeah, that's what I heard. The reason why there's a huge hole there is because whoever the previous owner was, stuck a LARGE battery in there. I'm not sure what it was (I promptly yanked it out, and threw it in the trash), but it looked like a rider mower battery, but smaller. It was something like 6" wide x 6" tall x 3" deep .

They also wired up a toggle on the bottom of the box for an on/off switch...

-WRM

P.S. I can't wait to hear from one2crawl to see how many PM's he's received so far...
Old 12-09-2005, 11:21 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Well, it's officially gone. It's in the hands of "one2crawl" if anyone thinks they need one of these. (He's not gonna keep it I don't believe).

-WRM