Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Super Budget Crawler!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Super Budget Crawler!

Well, I found my old RC from when I was about 8. Well I'm 14 now, so I'm suprised it lasted this long. The brushes on the motor are almost worn through! I'm planning to turn this generic made-in-china 2WD truck into a lawn-crawler. I'm thinnking of putting in a tamiya Scientific Series gearbox into it and just wiring off the old ESC motor out. Should be a minimum drilling needed project, but I plan to use the 344:1 gear ratio of the "70167 Single Gearbox" for awesome torque. I could always reassemble it as 115:1 or 38:1 if I needed to go fast. I have a twin motor gearbox in my Tamiya forqlift on a 203:1 and I have wedged it under my solid koa coffee table and it still turning the wheels. My dilemma is that I need some wheels and tires that will be about the same size as the fronts. I may change the fronts, but they will have to be the same size and width or less, because the steering system is basically a 130 motor that turns a gear. Not much torque... But my reason for posting was to see if I could get a suggustion for tires and wheels. Right now the stock tires are about 1.5" wide and 2.5" tall. I would like taller tires, but skinny fronts. With these 1.5s, the "servo" struggles a bit. The output on the Tamiya is 3mm or 0.118110236 inches. I hope to mount the wheels with minimum modification... The axle on the stock shafts are about .2'' diameter. If I could get a sugguestion for rims and tires, I'd be a happy camper. Let me know your opinions too! If you want to flame me, go for it... Won't stop me!:-P

EDIT: Found a Selectable transmission! http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...oductId=145509
With this, I can leave it in 310.74:1 and switch up to 45.97 when I need speed, or even 6.8:1 for lots of speed and no torque at all!
Gear ratios:
6.8, 45.97, 310.74
or rebuild and
17.68, 119.52, 807.93!
I'll call it select-o-matic!
Datasheet: http://www.jameco.com/wcsstore/Jamec...dDS/145509.PDF

Last edited by player; 12-10-2005 at 11:19 PM.
player is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Wat. 46 views and no replies?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

so your making a 2wd crawler or did I miss something?
camoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:24 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

err... yeah 2WD, but its not really a crawler, theres no suspension whatsoever. Its gonna be more of a... rough surface cruiser.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:59 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I want my two minutes back.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:18 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Dear microgoat,
We are sorry that you wish to have two minutes of your time back. However, time refunds are only avalible in 5minute blocks. Please fill out a LZ-005 form which can be acquired by filling out a LK-LZ-005 form. Once your backround is checked against INTERPOL and FBI databases, you will recieve your LZ-005 form. This process typically takes 2-4 weeks. On the LZ-005 form, please fill out your complete name, address of current residence, phone number at which we can contact you at, and follow the included directions. Then proceed to acquire a LT-015 form with form LK-LT-015. The LT-015 form will let us know who to refund the time to. Please fill out the form completely, any blank spaces and we will not accept the form. When all forms are completed please mail them to:
RCCrawler's Time Refund Dept
C/O Player's Post Inc.
1918 Paula Drive
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816

Within 3-5 weeks you will recieve another form confirming your time to be refunded. Please check the "incorrect box" and go to step 57(k) and fill in "Two Minutes" Please send this to:
RCCrawler's Time Refund Incorrect Form Dept
C/O Player's Post Inc.
1918 Paula Drive
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816

Within 4-6 weeks, you should recieve your time back, unless it gets lost by UPS. If it does, please contact UPS regarding your lost package. If you do recieve it, please fill out the enclosed questionaire about your time refund experience and mail it back. As our thanks to you, we will send you 3 minutes complements of the staff at Player's Posts Inc.

Thank you for your time,
-Player

Old 12-11-2005, 06:22 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
I want my two minutes back.
...x2
camoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:52 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Honestly, if you're going to start spending money on it, take all the money it'd take and put it towardsa nylint or something. I think it'll be a let down for you.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

See, this is where us Cleveland boys have got it all over you tropical dudes.

Instead of wasting my time on a no-suspension lawn-crawler, I could have shoveled enough snow to buy a 1/18 Nylint by noon, or a 1/6 by 5 pm.

What are you gonna do, gather coconuts? See you in chit chat.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

he ows me 6 minutes now
nic99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by player
Dear microgoat,
We are sorry that you wish to have two minutes of your time back. However, time refunds are only avalible in 5minute blocks. Please fill out a LZ-005 form which can be acquired by filling out a LK-LZ-005 form. Once your backround is checked against INTERPOL and FBI databases, you will recieve your LZ-005 form. This process typically takes 2-4 weeks. On the LZ-005 form, please fill out your complete name, address of current residence, phone number at which we can contact you at, and follow the included directions. Then proceed to acquire a LT-015 form with form LK-LT-015. The LT-015 form will let us know who to refund the time to. Please fill out the form completely, any blank spaces and we will not accept the form. When all forms are completed please mail them to:
C/O Player's Post Inc.
1918 Paula Drive
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816

Within 3-5 weeks you will recieve another form confirming your time to be refunded. Please check the "incorrect box" and go to step 57(k) and fill in "Two Minutes" Please send this to:
C/O Player's Post Inc.
1918 Paula Drive
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816

Within 4-6 weeks, you should recieve your time back, unless it gets lost by UPS. If it does, please contact UPS regarding your lost package. If you do recieve it, please fill out the enclosed questionaire about your time refund experience and mail it back. As our thanks to you, we will send you 3 minutes complements of the staff at Player's Posts Inc.

Thank you for your time,
-Player

NOW THAT IS A FAWKIN BAD A$$ REPLY ... but i still want my 2 min also
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Gather coconuts?! LOL, there are places to work here ya know. :-P
If I wanted to, I could go mow some lawns here, where they're not FROZEN OVER.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:19 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

WELCOME TO THE CLUB of Being able to mow your lawn during winter... it dont snow here either AND we dont have huricanes/ tropical storms... it has rained here about ohh 3 or 4 times since setember.... and it RARELY gets below 40*F... i love SOCAL!
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:05 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Dear microgoat,
C/O Player's Post Inc.
1918 Paula Drive
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816

C/O Player's Post Inc.
1918 Paula Drive
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816

Thank you for your time,
-Player

Doesn't HE need the ID10T form also?
blue302ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, but we don't have earthquakes that turn the state on its head... :-P

Yeah, ID10T form has to be special ordered in batches of 500 or more, so we the LT-015 is accompanied by the FR3AK1NGM0R0N form. So it all works out...:-P
Old 12-11-2005, 10:59 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I wonder if that gearbox would put out any torque to push a truck, it has such a small motor it looks like.

Like the others said, sell yourself on the street corner or something, and save up enough to buy a Nylint.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:26 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
I wonder if that gearbox would put out any torque to push a truck, it has such a small motor it looks like.

Like the others said, sell yourself on the street corner or something, and save up enough to buy a Nylint.
Eh, whats THAT suppossed to mean? :-P
Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

it means get rid of the fing 5 year olds baby toy and buy a 10 year olds 1/2 hobbie class toy
nic99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:28 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Eh, whats THAT suppossed to mean? :-P

You know, man-whore, he-biyoch, prostidude
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF