Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: headache for 17 days now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default headache for 17 days now

do you guys ever get headaches this long with no breaks, i already saw 2 doctors and the hospital to seek medical attention, but all them fawktards gave me was a tylenol and told me it should be fine the hospital said that usually the cause of a headache is unknown unless i get an MRI scan, so I said okey lets get an MRI, well fawk it's a six months waiting period, don't know what to do, it's especially hard when you got kids and a twelve hour shifts at work.
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Drinking plenty of water? Drinking plenty of caffine?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Drinking plenty of water? Drinking plenty of caffine?
unfortunately caffine.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
RCC Addict

17 days is more than just not enough water, and could be something serious. DON'T just let it go, and talk with a doctor about maybe a CT scan to make sure it's nothing serious. Taking Tylenol can just mask things.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Crazy I saw this thread. Just this morning one of my associates had to take her husband to the ER. He was working out last nigh and started to complain about a headache, kept complaining and finally she convinced him to go. When they got there his nose was bleeding a little. They checked, and checked and found nothing did an MRI and he had a Brain aneurysm!! They immediately flew him to Denver and are operating on him as we speak.

I get migraines and could not imagine a headache for 2 weeks. Headaches generally is a sign of too much or lack of blood to the brain. I would try another hospital or someone to get an MRI done ASAP. I have never heard of a 2 week headache!!
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Suck it up!

I had a migraine for a week straight several years ago. Probably the worst week of my life. Couldn't eat without puking it back up, pain pills just put me to sleep.

Things to try...

Lots of water, nasal rinse (sometimes its your sinuses...), ice pack to numb the pain, if you're drinking pop stay away from the dark colored ones (this seems to be a trigger for me at times), try to rest in a totally dark, quiet and cool room (not always easy I know). Sometimes I'll sit in the tub with the shower on and aimed directly at my head...once you start to feel your skin kind of tingle, take both hands and scratch all around your noggin like you've just contracted the worlds worst case of the crabs, concentrating mostly on the area that hurts. Do this for 30 seconds or so and then repeat the process. Seems to do a pretty good job of stimulating bloodflow to your head.

Things to watch out for...

There are many triggers for headaches...alchohol, chocolate, nicotine, and caffine seem to be mine. Beer or chocolate = instant headache for me. Stress of course, tension, overexertion will do it too.

Headaches are a PITA when you try to get them diagnosed. I know a couple people that have had it all checked out and can't get anything done about them except for pain pills. Keep pluggin' away at your Dr...hopefully you'll find the answer. You might ask to see if he has any samples of Relpax...worked wonders for me. Its made the worst of my migraines dissapear in 20-30 minutes.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

we'll I'm going to the hospital again today and see if i can get a better answer, 17 days just doesn't seem right to me, what sucks is that it's taking time away from my family.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped453 View Post
...a six months waiting period, don't know what to do, it's especially hard when you got kids and a twelve hour shifts at work.
STRESS !!!!!
take a break and relax for a bit. i'm not saying all headaches are from stress,
but stress is the number one contender when it comes to headaches.

my wife is going through this shit too. ever since she was in her roll over a few years ago she has been plagued with these headaches... sometimes they are subtle and sometimes they are down right immobilizing.
are you on any current meds ?

she has been through scans and tests, and they still have not found out what is wrong. they did however put her on Topamax, thanks Doc... two days into her med. she was going spaztic and just about ready to ram her car into a bridge... the doctor doesn't explain exactly every side effect these drugs can cause, and suicidal or manic stages is one of them. the drug is also reffed to as " dopeamax " because of the zombie like blankness that consumes you when taking it.

try to watch out for that.

i can only say thank heavens i lucky to be one of these people that rarely get ill or have any conditions, nor do i ever visit a doctor.
i mean after all, i would rather have a lawyer, who works at a firm fix me up then a doctor that follows a " practice "
screw that.

well anyways, if you are not already go to target or walmart and pick up low dose children's chewable aspirin for your heart and bloodflow and maybe start a B-12 1000 a day. this will help your energy production, and red blood cells.
good luck man,
be well.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Duuuuuuuude made some good points. Especially about the allergies, Once I got my allergies treated and take my Zyrtek every morning, no more headaches.

Me personally, I will wrap a long shirt, towel, anything I can around my head and tie it tight, the pressure around my head will help get rid of it. I also forgot to mention, scrap the tylenol and get some EXCEDERINE Migraine. If that doesn't help within 15-30mins, not sure what will.

I have been prescribed all sorts of prescription migraine pills and nothing seems to work like Excederin. I carry a bottle wherever I am.
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
we'll I'm going to the hospital again today and see if i can get a better answer, 17 days just doesn't seem right to me, what sucks is that it's taking time away from my family.
It does suck. That week I had mine I was in bed pretty much 24/7...I couldn't even function. Had to wear sunglasses whenever I was up and about because pretty much any light source was like needles in my eyes.

I was going to say that blood pressure can do it too, but they would have said something about that during one of your visits.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
It does suck. That week I had mine I was in bed pretty much 24/7...I couldn't even function. Had to wear sunglasses whenever I was up and about because pretty much any light source was like needles in my eyes.

I was going to say that blood pressure can do it too, but they would have said something about that during one of your visits.

all that they told me was maybe it's probably caused by a headache called cluster headaches which is not common, but nothing serious at the same time, this apparently could last weeks or even months, the other doctor said it could be my eyes too, so i'll probably go to an eye doctor as well and see what they say

thanks guys for the advice, im gonna print this thread and go to walmart and try all your suggestions, i just want this headache gone.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
thanks guys for the advice, im gonna print this thread and go to walmart and try all your suggestions, i just want this headache gone.
A good guerilla tactic is about 1000mg of ibuprofin and a Monster. Toss the pills in your mouth and slam the entire drink. May not take it away completely, but it may take the edge off.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I went though a period where I was getting them all the time. I had EEG, CT scan and MRI done and they found nothing, finally they gave me Cafergot at the time it was a breakthrough drug for migraines, I took them for about 2 weeks and haven't had one sense.

Also I was told that high blood pressure will also cause headaches.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I was having intense migranes and vision problems for a while and turned out I had a brain tumor. The surgeon told me it was about the size of a softball.

Matt
BagoXCAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

6 Month wait for an MRI........................ How is the socialized medicine working for ya? I would say a headache lasting 17 days is a very serious condition. I had a friend who had the same problem and it turned out he had brain cancer....:-( Is there any way they can get you in sooner???
MOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

My only suggestion is to make sure to goto an actual neurologist. My wife was having headaches and i finnally forced her into going to an actual neurologist and they found a tumor. A neurologist has the clout to usually get you into a MRI within a day or two if not that same day.

If you need some immediate temporary relief get someone to press the pressure points in the webbing of both your hands between the thumb and forefinger. You will know "instantly" when they hit those nerve clusters, then just have them back off to the point just before you can feel your headache coming back.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
A good guerilla tactic is about 1000mg of ibuprofin and a Monster. Toss the pills in your mouth and slam the entire drink. May not take it away completely, but it may take the edge off.
i'll x2 that. im usually a 3@500mg's IBs but i down a full throttle with em... the little bit of caffeine will usually kill it after about an hour.

i have been dealing with them all my life. seen a few doctors and never found out much
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

How about your bloodpressure?

I'm currently on bloodpressure pills to get rid of migraine. For me it comes at least on every saturday (usually 1-2 times on the other days too) and I'm pretty damn fed up with it. This has been going on for 4-5 years now.

I'm in a lot of stress because of work and it really makes things worse.
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

so, i was gonna go to the hospital again today to see if i can get some clear answers, instead i phoned and told them that i want an MRI asap (there's no use for an MRI if im dead in six months). Here's the good news after talking to them "politely" they ask me to go to my doctor and he'll book one up for me. Thanks again guys for all the input.

on that note, if I die te'll ANCICHF THE LIAR that i will come back from the grave and fawk him up, he probably caused this headache
Old 01-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCRAWLER View Post
6 Month wait for an MRI........................ How is the socialized medicine working for ya? I would say a headache lasting 17 days is a very serious condition. I had a friend who had the same problem and it turned out he had brain cancer....:-( Is there any way they can get you in sooner???

Your avatar just cured my head ache and caused another... Thanks you and Damn you.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote