Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Jeep wont start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Jeep wont start

i have a 2001 jeep Cherokee with 67k on it. went out tonight and stopped at a couple of stores. came back out and went to start the jeep and nothing. not even a click from the starter. all gauge and lights come on.also engine light is on now.

i hit the starter while a buddy tried turning it over,shorted the seliniod and still nothing,even tried jumping it.

put it in neutral,and tried starting , nothing. so i had it towed to my brother in laws garage.

maybe the neutral safety switch ? idk.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

Mine won't start either.

No matter it has no battery, starter, or gas thats worth a ****. But thats a common Jeep thing I guess, like they say " It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand":-P

Pull the starter and bench test it, see if it works? It's turning over?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
i have a 2001 jeep Cherokee with 67k on it. went out tonight and stopped at a couple of stores. came back out and went to start the jeep and nothing. not even a click from the starter. all gauge and lights come on.also engine light is on now.

i hit the starter while a buddy tried turning it over,shorted the seliniod and still nothing,even tried jumping it.

put it in neutral,and tried starting , nothing. so i had it towed to my brother in laws garage.

maybe the neutral safety switch ? idk.
It sounds like a starter to me, The starter has a big wire and a little wire, take a test light and put it on the small wire and have your buddy crank it, did it light? Yes, needs a starter probably

No. it's a switch, Ignition, PRNDL switch, bad wire, but if thats the case you should be able to jump from the big wire to the little to get it started. ( jump lil to big w/ piece of wire, should start, if battery is good and starter is good )

If you answered Yes, The big wire should make big sparks if you short it to ground w/ a screwdriver, If so , go get a Starter. ( the sparks just show you that you have some juice from the battery getting to the starter )

if none of this makes sense, go get a MECHANIC

Last edited by lwb Sami; 01-26-2010 at 10:50 PM.
lwb Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
dnf

thats what I love about my 84cj, no b.s. electrical crap.

its probable a $25-50 part that put her down.

I had a 95 ford do something simular years ago.
freaking $20 crankshaft sensor put me down for 2 days.

you know all that elec. crap is built by the cheapest bidder.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

buy a chevy ?
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hende View Post
buy a chevy ?
guy's already got a chrysler,he doesnt need another headache
Old 01-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
dnf

guy you may want to check your terminals.

I just remembered a time we was at a wedding and going to the reception. I had a 93 jeep. it wouldnt start,no clicking nothing.
light did come on. but I dont remember a engine light.

ended up the wires under the insulating was corroded. and wasnt getting enough juice to starter.

had to leave it there and come back later.
but I just leaned everything up and mounted new trminals to the wires.

after that no worries.
doesnt cost to check
Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

don't worry about the check engine light so much until you get it running. It's on as diagnostic iisue related to a no start. It'll stay on until the engine builds oil pressure (ie -running), that or your just noticing it now because you'r worried - it always comes on during start up for a short period of time.

As mentioned check the terminal for corrsion, unlike previous years the newer cherokees will not run with a dead battery even after a jump (there has to be a minimum voltage for the engine to run, can't remeber what it was though). Usually, with a dirty terminal issue, when you try to crank the engine the dash lights will go out or dim do to the increased draw of the starter.
Also problematic is the CPS (usually unplugging it, wait 15 secs and plug back in, this should get you started - if this works replace it or you'll get to know this procedure far too well and eventually it will fail outright).

Check your fuses and relays as well. check for any loose connectors. Have you had any type of starting/running issues prior to this? Any recent work done? When you jumped the solenoid did you get sparks?
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

the engine light is on cause the key is on and its not running. so that dont matter
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

check the fuse under the dash....i think the dash light fuse i cant remember but it wont charge if the fuse blows.. trust me driving at 1 am was wondering why the lights are going dim and then died...no fuel pump lol 10 cent fuse count less hrs going this alt is junk go get new 1 then same thing...
crawldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

it doesnt turn over. i did get sparks when i jumped the seliniod.the battery terminals are clean and get cleaned and sprayed with every oil change. no recent work and have had no problems starting till now. just up and went. the lights on dash do not dim when i try to start it.

its at my b laws shop now, it was way to cold out to check anymore. will no more tomorrow when we can get it in the warm shop.

thanks for the help.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

starter might have froze
crawldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 AM   #13
RCC Addict

My moneys on dirty battery terminals.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I'm going to say it sounds like the Neutral Safety Switch or totally and completely dead starter but you never said if it had an alarm on it though. Dad's '90 has had enough issues with the NSS that he put a toggle on it to start the truck with if that was acting up and my sister's '92 had some kind of alarm on it that would act the same way if you didn't unlock it a certain way. Also how old is you battery and what shape is it in as well as what's the weather been like lately by you. That's nearly bit me a couple times recently with my '98, the battery I installed in late '04 is getting old and has nearly gone completely dead on me a couple times the past few months from the cold.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Thats easy. rent a track hoe--drag it to behind walmart and throw it into the large dumpster--if it doesn't fit smash it repeately with the track hoe
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

top dead positioning sensor on the tranny bell housing, my wifes 95 cherokee had this problem, went through everything, i replaced battery, starter, all fuses, computer, and it was a little sensor that sent signal to computer to tell tell everything else when to work..

it would run and shut off in the middle of driving sometimes, other times wouldnt start same as your describing.. dont over look it..
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawldog View Post
starter might have froze

That would be my guess......I'd have a buddy try turning it over while you smack the starter with a hammer. You'd be surprised at how many starters will come back to life after a good beating. I had a truck that I drove for a year with a starter that had to be smacked from time to time before it finally died for good.
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

If you saw sparks using the screwdriver method then the starter is dead. ;)
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbound View Post
top dead positioning sensor on the tranny bell housing, my wifes 95 cherokee had this problem, went through everything, i replaced battery, starter, all fuses, computer, and it was a little sensor that sent signal to computer to tell tell everything else when to work..

it would run and shut off in the middle of driving sometimes, other times wouldnt start same as your describing.. dont over look it..

It's called a Crankshaft Position Sensor Went through it with a 99 and 96.

About 11 o'clock on the tranny bell housing, a real pita to get to but not too tough with a few extensions and a wobble somewhere. If ya want it's easier if you unbolt the tranny and lower it a bit with a jack.

When you turn the key to the ON position do you hear the fuel pump prime, kind of a brief .5 second long hum in the tank? If not, It's definitely the CPS. no more than 40-50 bucks and an hour of work. It's just a box on the bell housing , 2 bolts hold it on.
If the starter doesn't even ry to crank but all else in the cab works, CPS.
I believe yours should have OBD2 in it.
If you turn the key "On, OFF, ON, OFF, ON" and leave it for a few seconds the CEL should blink a few times followed by a pause then more blinks.
1 blink, pause then 2 blinks is a "12" 5, pause then 5 a "55" an so on. all codes are 2 digits fyi.

You should only get a 55 or a 12 55, 55 means end of code sequence, 12 means bat was disconnected in teh past 20 or so on/off cycles. Anything else is an issue.

IF it's a 95 then it's probably OBD2; The othe OBD hassimilar codes though and I have a book with them in it if ya need info. Go do it and tell us what you come up with.
With yours I'm certain it's OBD2 so you'll be looking for an "11" if it's CPS. Mind you, the codes are only set if certain criteria is met so you may have a malfunctioning CPS and not a dead one.
If your starter has been struggling lately it's a siezed starter but it sounds like NOTHING is happpening. CPS...
You're looking at, CPS or NSS or starter. If you had to replace all 3 (trial and error), you're looking at 44/CPS.... 2 to 300/NSS (you can take 'em apart and clean them for free fyi)....... or starter 80 bucks.

Last edited by solomon7; 01-27-2010 at 02:03 PM.
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

CPS...a bad one won't let the starter work at all on a Jeep? I've never heard of that. Normally(every time I've encountered problems starting on any car I've worked on) the starter will spin but the ecm won't inject fuel since it can't detect TDC.

But I'm not a Jeep guy. ;)
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote