Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Tivo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tivo

My folks just got a Tivo for Christmas, with a card for something like 3 months of free service. Well, they got it all hooked up today, and I have been told it was a giant hassle for them. They had to run a phone line to it, and get all the wiring set. Then, they had issues with it being compatible with our digital cable box, and there are now two IR leads taped to the front of the cable box. And now there is a three second lag between pressing buttons on the remote, and the TV cable box actually doing what you tell it to. Add to that the fact that they had to wait on the phone for tech support for a couple hours, and they were a bit frustrated. :neutral:

I have never used a Tivo, so I am not too familiar with them. I realize what it is and what it does, but I am a bit in the dark about the service Tivo provides. From what I understand, a monthly fee goes towards a service that can suggest programs based on your viewing habits, and the "Season Pass" feature can record an entire season of a particular program. But I have also heard that you don't need the service. Does this mean they can cancel the service at the end of thier free trial membership, and use the Tivo just as a DVR, without it having to be hooked up to the phone line? All they really want is to use it to record shows, instead of having to use the VCR.

Edit: Well, I did a little searching online, and it seems that the older Series 1 Tivos could be used without a subscription, but not the newer Series 2 models. Oh well, I guess they may as well give it a whirl for thier free membership period at least. Maybe they'll get hooked.

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 01-07-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Just get a home theatre pc when the trial period is up. It will do anything you can ever imagine and more, no subscription. takes some understanding to build a good one and to set it up but it is worth every penny and minute you spend on it.
Frakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Well, all they really wanted was a DVD recorder. They like to tape shows, but VCRs are getting a little out-dated, and then a bunch of VHS tapes start piling up. I think I'll just get them a DVD recorder for their anniversary.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

What cable company do they have? I have Time Warner with the DVR through them, along with HD on my 55" HDTV, and I couldnt be happier!
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #5

I've got a HD Directv receiver with built in tivo and I can't imagine life without it. Besides sports and the news I hardly ever watch live t.v. because of all the commercials. I probably have 25 season passes setup for everthing from Inside RC to Nip/Tuck. I catch myself at my girls house trying to hit the pause or rewind button on the remote even though she doesn't have tivo.

If you're looking for a great remote you gotta check out the Logitech Harmony 880. It's kinda pricey and a little complicated to get setup but once you do you'll forget all about the price. I had to get it because my girl could never figure out how to work my system (maybe a good thing) and I was tired of having 5 remotes laying around.
Turn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Well, all they really wanted was a DVD recorder. They like to tape shows, but VCRs are getting a little out-dated, and then a bunch of VHS tapes start piling up. I think I'll just get them a DVD recorder for their anniversary.
From my reading, transfering video from the Tivo to a computer is a TIMELY process, I think it transfers around real-time, if not more. IE, if you have 6 hours worth of a show you like, it will take 6 hours+ to transfer that to your computer............then you have to add in the burning time. I looked into it awhile back, until I found out that I can't transfer from my DirecTV/Tivo like you can all the other Tivos.

Let your parents get used to it, they will LOVE IT before you know it.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
From my reading, transfering video from the Tivo to a computer is a TIMELY process, I think it transfers around real-time, if not more. IE, if you have 6 hours worth of a show you like, it will take 6 hours+ to transfer that to your computer............then you have to add in the burning time. I looked into it awhile back, until I found out that I can't transfer from my DirecTV/Tivo like you can all the other Tivos.
That is not true about the transfer times. The transfer rate depends on what kind of network adapter you hook up to your Tivo and the speed of your network.

I have series 1 Tivo's and a few series 2 Tivo's. They all have 120 GB hard drives in them and are on my home network so I can download programs I record. I am currently downloading each of the Dakar's for a friend.

Life without Tivo sucks.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

ADAM get ready to get Adelphia or whatever its called..... Time warner just purchased their service bunker out your way.... I have a cousin on that route and he will soon be on mine. HOOK UP with the service COMING SOOON at my house
Grape Ape !!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape !!!
ADAM get ready to get Adelphia or whatever its called..... Time warner just purchased their service bunker out your way.... I have a cousin on that route and he will soon be on mine. HOOK UP with the service COMING SOOON at my house

Do what? Adelphia is out further in Clermount county, like out in New Richmond. My parents have adelphia and they were told Time Warner was going to be buying out Adelphia. It shouldnt affect me though, as I'm already a Time Warner customer.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote