Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: McMaster-Carr question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default McMaster-Carr question

Ok so I figure this belongs here rather than tool and procedures forum.

I placed an order with MMC today and they shipped according to their site but it doesn't show a shipping charge. Is this normal first place I ever ordered from that you didn't know the total cost before your stuff went out the door...Just seems kinda strange to me is all.
gordieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

That is what I didn't like about them as well. Until you get your cc bill I didn't know how much it was.
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

They typically send an email when it ships telling you the total amount.I made the mistake the first time ordering and clicked on overnight because there wasn't a price. about $35 later for about $10 worth of parts not good.

Last edited by ncalkrawler; 02-23-2010 at 08:49 PM.
ncalkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yeah, you don't find out until you get your invoice in the mail. This is why i quit ordering stuff from them.

My last 2 orders were both 2 sheets of 12"x12" delrin. The 1st time, shipping was $9 or so, the second time around shipping was $18 and some change. ticked me off because i would e-mail them about why the shipping prices changed, i get no response, but when i e-mail them about making a payment, i get instance response's.

So now, i either order from ebay, or another site.
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Mcmaster isn't really for the regular Joe type of buyer. The are tailored more towards businesses with open accounts. I love them as they deliver to my door the same day or the next morning! But then again, my company orders a lot more than parts for my crawlers.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
Mcmaster isn't really for the regular Joe type of buyer. The are tailored more towards businesses with open accounts. I love them as they deliver to my door the same day or the next morning! But then again, my company orders a lot more than parts for my crawlers.
X2. We order a LOT of stuff from them daily. When I need random this or that, I throw in an order at work for what I want and have them take whatever the price was of what I ordered out of my pay. Shipping doesn't cost me anything that way in their eyes since I'm basically piggybacking a shipping charge that already exists. I've never ordered from them other than on a business account though, never realized they did all shipping charges like that, I just thought it was for business accounts.
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #7

Please take into factor that 98% of people who order from mcmaster carr are large companies with ups account numbers and fed ex accounts therefore they do not have it setup to show shipping but they offer 3d/2d cad on 90% of everything they have they are definately a leading edge company
drawsdonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
RCC Addict

They sure could use a smarter shipping department. I got a 4 foot long, 4" round tube for two 5/16" delrin rods. Great packing, just way over kill. Aslo ordered a 2" X 2" box of screws on that same order that could have been put in the tube with the delrin, but came in another 8" X 8" box. If I was the owner and went into the shipping department and saw this kind of waist I'd flip a nuget.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
They sure could use a smarter shipping department. I got a 4 foot long, 4" round tube for two 5/16" delrin rods. Great packing, just way over kill. Aslo ordered a 2" X 2" box of screws on that same order that could have been put in the tube with the delrin, but came in another 8" X 8" box. If I was the owner and went into the shipping department and saw this kind of waist I'd flip a nuget.
I love their packaging! Their boxes are great. I reuse them to ship stuff I sell all the time. Thanks Mcmaster!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Yeah, but you have to think though.. 99% of their business is to companies that will fill out that shipping tube or box. That's what they have in stock to ship with, their workers are just filling orders. Trust me, to fill orders like they do, they don't have time to bicker over 2 little rods in an oversized shipping tube.
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Yeah,, I suppose your right,,,When you put it that way...
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

mcmaster has the best dam web site in the world, and no minimums, but they are business to business oriented, people always freak out about shipping charges, its not mcmaster's fault what ups or fedex charges.
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
RCC Addict

We order from them all the time. Can't beat their prices and overnight shipping. Their printed catalogs are great for flipping through looking for ideas.

One tip if you order, try and make sure that your entire order ships from the same warehouse. That will cut down on your shipping charges, although you still won't know what they are until you receive your invoice.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I'm not terribly concerned I just found it odd hope it's not too much

I got a confirmation email from them it's in the ups center already both items from same place still no total bill.

Just confirmed I picked ground so hopefully I get to keep my arms and legs
gordieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post
mcmaster has the best dam web site in the world, ......
Got that right. Lots of places could learn from their web team.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I hardly touch the printed catalog anymore. Their website and search function is so much faster and with my account setup online, it makes ordering a snap. The nice thing for me is that they aren't very far so they send my items via their own courier! The only bad part is that sometimes he gets to my shop before my office is even open and rings the damn gate before I can even finish my coffee!