Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Desktop Replacement Laptop Help needed...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Desktop Replacement Laptop Help needed...

I am in the market for a new computer, and I'm looking for the following:

16" + screen, prefer 17+ though
i7 720QM or better processor
4GB or more ram
500GB 7200RPM HDD
at least 512MB VRAM, prefer 1GB though
at least 900p screen, but 1080p would be nice
Bluetooth/normal wifi connectivity
Windows 7 (no Mac OS...)
somewhat decent battery life, portability isn't a preference, but being able to take it to school is something I will want.

I get a corporate discount through a few different manufacturers, but it's not a whole lot, but I'm looking to spend $1200 with tax and shipping.

With my corp discount, I found the following:

HP DV7t:
i7-720QM/4GB RAM/500GB 7200RPM HDD/17.3" 900p/1GB VRAM/Lightscribe for $1030.16 before tax

HP DV8t:
i7-720QM/4GB RAM/500GB 7200RPM HDD/18.4" 1080p/1GB VRAM/Lightscribe for $1160.58 before tax

Sony Vaio F series:
i7-720QM/4GB RAM/500GB 7200RPM HDD/16.4" 900p/512MB VRAM/Backlit Keyboard for $1016.99 before tax, or I can upgrade to 1080p/1GB VRAM for a total of $1151.99

Dell Studio XPS 16:
i7-720QM/4GB RAM/500GB 7200RPM HDD/15.6" 900p/1GB VRAM for $1329.00 before tax/shipping

Dell Studio 17:
i7-720QM/4GB RAM/500GB 7200RPM HDD/17.3" 900p/1GB VRAM/Backlit Keyboard for $1144

What else is out there for that price that I should consider?Toshiba and Lenovo and IBM are more expensive for the same specs. If it were your money, what would you get and why? (I don't want any manufacturer bashing though, if you have had personal experience with one of the above laptops, post it up, otherwise, post up what you WOULD get with that money.)

Last edited by monkeyracer; 03-31-2010 at 03:14 PM.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I've had experience with the HP DV series laptops. I had one, as well as my roomate had the next model down below mine. Within a couple of months on his, the video card had burned out and had to be sent back for warranty. His is still working fine after the fix though. Mine on the other hand, lasted about 6-7 months, and the internal power supply burned out on it. Evidently the only way to fix that one is an entire new motherboard. Warranty would have taken care of that, but I put it in the corner and honestly forgot about it till it was too late because I always use my desktop anyway.

So, just be leery of HP's, from talking to repair places, these are fairly common failures. Hope that helps ya.
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Dell XPS!!!
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My car computer was an HP, can't remember the model off hand, but it's power supply failed as well, and you're right, the only way to fix it is a new motherboard. I bought it for $150 because the screen was cracked, and sold it for $125 a year later when the PS went out. I figured it was a fluke, but also that the DV series would use different equipment.

I was leaning towards the Sony, but a few years back my dad went through 3 of them because of power issues as well, but I was hoping that is still not the case with them.

My current Dell is on it's way out, power issues as well, my power cord plug is loose and my batteries don't last more than 15 minutes off the wall power. It's 4 years old though, so I was expecting issues, and expect that the batteries would be end of life.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADASSPONY View Post
Dell XPS!!!
Can you get one with the specs I posted for under $1200 shipped?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Can you get one with the specs I posted for under $1200 shipped?
Nope, got it to $1329 before tax or shipping...

What else is there?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

just make sure you get an extended service plan of some kind. it will probably add about 1-200 to the cost, but it could be worth it if the computer goes out.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Asus
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been more of a response... So is the Sony a good buy? I think I am leaning toward that one, but I want to make sure I get something good.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #10

If it were my money I wouldn't spend it on an HP, I'd get a Lenovo. They're the most solidly build of all laptops IMO. The question I have for you is what are you going to be doing with it? That will really help me give a recommendation to you.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #11
MODERHATER™

If I was you I would get a Mac. As far as I can tell they are the best. I am wondering why they are not in your options?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
If it were my money I wouldn't spend it on an HP, I'd get a Lenovo. They're the most solidly build of all laptops IMO. The question I have for you is what are you going to be doing with it? That will really help me give a recommendation to you.
The Lenovo is almost twice as much for the 17" that they have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
If I was you I would get a Mac. As far as I can tell they are the best. I am wondering why they are not in your options?
I plan to use this to run a lot of the CAD and Engineering software that I will be needing for school, and I don't want to run XP mode on a mac. From what I hear it doesn't work as well for those kind of programs (AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Pro-E, etc.) Plus I've never really been a fan of MacOS, Not that Windows is that great, it's just something about Mac that I don't like, oh, and the 17" macbook pro is more than twice my budget.

The links that es79 posted help with something I wanted to know is making a Whitebox Laptop, but again, price for the specs, the Sony is starting to sound like what I'll end up getting.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #14

Ok, now that I know you will be needing a mobile workstation, you're requirements get a little tighter. The HP DV series laptops are consumer laptops, they will not do what you need them to do. Here are a list of items that you need to pay attention to.

1. You will need an OpenGL based video card, both ATI and Nvidia make them, look for Quadro (Nvidia) and Firepro (ATI) in the video card name. The Intel integrated, Nvidia geforce, or ATI Radeon video cards will NOT work, you'll be throwing your money away.

2. CAD programs are very CPU intensive. Get the fastest processor you can afford.

3. As far as RAM, you're 4Gb minimum is good, unless you are working with 2000+ part assemblies, 4Gb is all you need.

If you are buying brand new, look to spend $1400+. Another alternative, (and this is what I did) Buy last years model. When the Lenovo W series came out, I bought a T61P. The T61P was last years top of the line laptop. If I remember right I paid about half of what it was sold for brand new. I bought it from ebay NIB too.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post

The links that es79 posted help with something I wanted to know is making a Whitebox Laptop, but again, price for the specs, the Sony is starting to sound like what I'll end up getting.
yeah, but Sony is made by quanta or twinhead I think, lenova is made by them as well.

Get lenova T510. It has discrete graphics. Plenty CPU power, check me on this though don't spend money on 1333 speed ram, with i7 620 processor I think it can only go to 1066. Some places tell you that when buying but I didn't notice that on the website, but they could have updated the chipset by now as well.
es79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by es79 View Post
yeah, but Sony is made by quanta or twinhead I think, lenova is made by them as well.

Get lenova T510. It has discrete graphics. Plenty CPU power, check me on this though don't spend money on 1333 speed ram, with i7 620 processor I think it can only go to 1066. Some places tell you that when buying but I didn't notice that on the website, but they could have updated the chipset by now as well.
If the OP is going to be using Solidworks, or and CAD software for that matter, he will need a workstation card, which the NVS 3100m is not. It is a DirectX based card, the CAD software will not use the GPU and will instead rely on the processor for all graphics duties, not what you want to use the processor for. I hope that you meant to say the W510, that would be a more appropriate solution from Lenovo for the requirements that the OP needs.

You're right about the RAM, "i" based mobile processors are mostly 1066MHz based.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
If the OP is going to be using Solidworks, or and CAD software for that matter, he will need a workstation card, which the NVS 3100m is not. It is a DirectX based card, the CAD software will not use the GPU and will instead rely on the processor for all graphics duties, not what you want to use the processor for. I hope that you meant to say the W510, that would be a more appropriate solution from Lenovo for the requirements that the OP needs.

You're right about the RAM, "i" based mobile processors are mostly 1066MHz based.
no, don't take it the wrong way I was just trying to stay within his budget. I do realize that he needs the workstation card, but that machine will run it may not be ideal but lets face it, if you want real 3d/CADD power get a box not a laptop. Hell I have a box, that is uses a ATI Radeon 3450 HD and I can run Autocad, Photoshop, Aftereffects, Solidworks and anything else I can ever throw at it. I know I've done it. Now I do have a Core2Quad Processor but never even hic-ups, might look better run even smoother with a workstation card but I don't mind. And just so to be clear I'm no expert nor do claim to be and don't really wanna be, just simply stating my opinion.
es79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #18
RCC Addict

personally, if you are going to run CAD programs, and want those kind of specs, i think the way to go is with a desktop. you could get a desktop PC with all of those specs, and a decent 18-22 inch monitor for less than a laptop. plus, desktop components are easier to upgrade when needed, too.
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote