Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Semi-Fast, Cheap, 1:18 scale car/truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Semi-Fast, Cheap, 1:18 scale car/truck

I've let my son play around with my crawler, but I'm getting too much money in it for a 3-year old to play with, besides he mostly just goes full blast in the grass. I would like to find a decent, cheap smaller scale(1:18 or similar) basher that he can't really mess up to bad? I will buy it used but I need to know what to look for? I'm still new to the rc scene so I'm not sure what's out there that's good. Any suggestions? I have debated on getting or just building a MRC and making it into more of a basher type truck, but not sure it that's a good idea?
es79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

You can pick up an RC18T, RC18B, RC18MT or RC18R for around $100; probably cheaper now that the second version has come out ( RC18T2/RC18B2/SC18 ).

RC18T is the truck.

RC18MT is the "monster truck."

RC18R is the on-road style car.

RC18B is the buggy.

I would say, for your situation, the RC18MT is the best bet. It has a taller gearing allowing for more low-torque for your son to bash through the grass as well as higher ride height. It is by no means a crawler, and I was quite impressed with the stock speed. You can probably pick up a brand new in box RC18MT at your local hobby shop for around $150 or get a used one off of eBay or the likes for under $100.

Oh, and with any of these, you get everything you need in the RTR package: the radio. motor, ESC, battery and even a battery charger are all included!

Cheers,
Kyle.
Donziikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can pick up an RC18T, RC18B, RC18MT or RC18R for around $100; probably cheaper now that the second version has come out ( RC18T2/RC18B2/SC18 ).
I would say, for your situation, the RC18MT is the best bet. It has a taller gearing allowing for more low-torque for your son to bash through the grass as well as higher ride height. It is by no means a crawler, and I was quite impressed with the stock speed. You can probably pick up a brand new in box RC18MT at your local hobby shop for around $150 or get a used one off of eBay or the likes for under $100.

Oh, and with any of these, you get everything you need in the RTR package: the radio. motor, ESC, battery and even a battery charger are all included!

Cheers,
Kyle.
Thanks, those all look pretty neat. I like all of those, but your right about the RC18MT, the added ride height, would be better since he would be in the grass, I would let him play with it in the street but I'm afraid he would hit cars, curbs and everything else that was in the way. And no I'm not expecting it to be a crawler at all just a plain fun bashing type truck. I was debating the rustler? But most of those are almost a little too much money. I'm keeping an eye out on the For Sale board for anything that might work.

Thanks for the info.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, keep posting.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
I'm a stupid C U N T!

the minis are cool, but for a 3 year old I'd look into a rustler or a stampede. they are a dime a dozen and damn near bullet proof I see them as rollers for $100 all the time sometimes less
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
the minis are cool, but for a 3 year old I'd look into a rustler or a stampede. they are a dime a dozen and damn near bullet proof I see them as rollers for $100 all the time sometimes less
This gets my vote. I have a stampede and beat on it everyday. The size makes it nice especially if you say grass is involved. Upgrades are out there and most hobby shops carry parts for rustler/stampede/bandit. Speed can be upgraded down the road when it's needed.
NeoNeoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Third vote for the rustler / stampede idea.

RC18s are not real tough, with a 3 year old driving you will be replacing parts on a daily basis. A stampede with a stock motor, is pretty much unbreakable.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
WOOPOOW!!

I too have owned 2 rc18's. First an rc18b then an MT, and they both broke just about everytime i ran them on my track. Maybe even look into a traxxas slash for the ultimate of bullet proof RTR vehicles. I jumped my slash off of just about every ledge/hill/solid object at my house and never broke it to this day.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I have had my RC18MT for three years without anything breaking. I even run a Mamba25 with a Dynamite 9200kV through the stock drive train without anything breaking. To me they are pretty indestructible--even off curbs, ramps and into car tires. Guess everyone's experience is different.

I would also agree on the Stampede or Rustler, though. Seeing as how he will be in tall grass, the added ride height of the Stampede is a major plus.

Either way he will have a blast.
Donziikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Yeah I think I'm going with the Stampede. I'm sure I can find one pretty cheap on here, I'm in no hurry to buy it so I'll just wait to see what comes up.

Thanks for the help, my son says thanks too. (my wife not so much, hehe)
Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
I'm a stupid C U N T!

No prob. Put an add in the Wanted section I'm sure you'll pick one up in a day or so
Old 04-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by es79 View Post
Yeah I think I'm going with the Stampede. I'm sure I can find one pretty cheap on here, I'm in no hurry to buy it so I'll just wait to see what comes up.

Thanks for the help, my son says thanks too. (my wife not so much, hehe)
Give me till the weekend and I might be able to get you going pretty cheap with an RTR Pede. Need to see if I still have all the parts for it (I had a few of them, I believe I have enough parts to make almost 2 of them) and I can cut you a deal. All you will need is batteries. I think I even have a basic charger lying about if you need a second one. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I'm concidering selling a Rustler, havent decided yet. Older version(xl-1) full ball bearing all the way around, adjustable cambers, New Losi Tapers, new rims, also have a 2.5amp charger. extra spur gear, extra slipper pads.. 4 older rim and 2 stock rear tires....

would need a motor I have the original XL-1 esc but reverse dont work for some reason 17t motor limit. or possibly a Tamyia ESC 20t motor limit i belive w/ reverse. I do have a 12t motor but it would fry the ESC....

Fully greased. PM for details,
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
RCC Addict

another good bombproof option is a Tamiya Lunchbox. it's a kit you'll have to build, but it will give both you and your son fun. i had one for my first R/C almost 20 years ago, and trust me, they are built like TANKS!!!! plus, i think they are cooler looking than a 'Pede...
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I've been thinking about getting something like a Stampede, nice and cheap to bash around, break, fix, repeat. Maybe try to find a roller that I can add a brushless system and my own radio. I would go with another Slash, but I'd kind of like some more ground clearance.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

mini revo would be cool too but not cheap, or mini slayer
nmanuel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanuel01 View Post
mini revo would be cool too but not cheap, or mini slayer
I saw the mini revo the other day, those are really cool. But way out of my price range for a 3 year old.

Never heard/seen a slayer. Will look that one up now.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

es79 he means the mini SLASH not Slayer, the Slayer is the full size Nitro version of the Slash. The MINI SLASH is going to be about the same price as the Mini revo...
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #18

check out the Helion Animus 18SC its sorta like the mini slash and retail is $99.99 I picked up 3 for my boys while the wife and i drive mini slash's hers is brushed like the animus.

also comes rtr just need 8AA for transmitter.

http://www.helionrc.com/animus/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Dannyb1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #19
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyb1977 View Post
check out the Helion Animus 18SC its sorta like the mini slash and retail is $99.99 I picked up 3 for my boys while the wife and i drive mini slash's hers is brushed like the animus.

also comes rtr just need 8AA for transmitter.

http://www.helionrc.com/animus/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Never heard of it, whats parts availability, can you stop at your LHS and pick up parts like for a pede, or do you have to order them from overseas?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
Never heard of it, whats parts availability, can you stop at your LHS and pick up parts like for a pede, or do you have to order them from overseas?
I believe they are sold exclusively through Hobby Town.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote