Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Freedom of choice, not any more?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Freedom of choice, not any more?

http://www2.hernandotoday.com/conten...acco-use-butt/
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I dont have a problem with limitations being imposed while at work, on work premises or in work vehicles, but on their personal time?!?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Smoking is lame . I dont believe in what their trying to do but really if you smoke your pretty selfish . Even more so if you have children .
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

someone is always trying to make you do what they want. We have a smoking area at the end of the build 100ft away from the doors and its around 30ft or so away from the sidewalk. The way things are laid out people walking by cut thur the smoking area cause its 3 less steps to get to the door ( dumb ass people) but as they walk by they cover the mouth and and make that pertend cough and sometimes stupid statements like smoking is bad or your going to die young. I make sure they walk thur the cloud when they do this. It just makes me mad I always go out of my way to smoke where Im not going to bother anyone or offend anyone and they walk there the smoking area and do that s**t now there tring to force what they want on you. I hate people sometimes.
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

What I see is this is just the start, whats next? I don't see things getting better, just worse.
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Eng. View Post
What I see is this is just the start, whats next? I don't see things getting better, just worse.
I agree 110%. Like the old saying goes.. Give them an inch, they take a mile... What people do on their own time should be their own business. If it's illegal, then it should fall under the jurisdiction of law enforcement to handle it. If it is affecting their performance on the job, then I can agree with an employer taking corrective action against that person. Hell, with this mentality, I won't be able to smoke on my back porch before too long since I live in a condo complex.

I do understand that non-smokers don't want to be near smoke, or have to walk through it.. But I really think most non-smokers WAY over dramatize the issue. I always try to be respectful and stay a decent distance from non-smokers while smoking, and I just don't smoke when I'm around children. Either that or leave the area entirely. But at the same time, I should be able to smoke wherever the fawk I want outside. If you don't like it, go the other way. I'm making a conscious effort to be respectful, I feel non-smokers should extend the same courtesy.
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Things are definitely getting worse. My hometown just lost smoking in bars AND my college (University of North Dakota) just lost our nickname and logo. We lost the logo because it is offensive. It was people that don't go to bars who passed the smoking ban and it was stupid white people who say the Fighting Sioux nickname is offensive. Sioux tribes had voted to keep it. We are living in a country of mostly whiney idiots who have too much time on their hands...
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

just lit one up as a big to the man!!
rugerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

being an x-smoker, this kind of stuff really pisses me off. Smoking is a choice and the last time I checked, not against the law. If they want to ban it in restraunts and bars, and everywhere else, just cut the shit and say you want to make it illegal. But because the people that 'know better' know they can't just make it illegal, they will try to get it banned everywhere possible, thus pretty much making illegal w/o saying so.

smoke 'em if you have 'em. I don't give a big f.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

What? They require you to wear underwear to work there? Weird
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by camobob View Post
Smoking is lame . I dont believe in what their trying to do but really if you smoke your pretty selfish . Even more so if you have children .
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Eng. View Post
Just look to our neighbors to the north for a preview. Truckers in Canada can't smoke in their rigs, since it's a "workplace."
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
0 0

pretty sure it is illeagal to smoke on the streets in Chicago. not sure how true that is. just what i heard, and as i looked around i didn't see any butts laying in the street.
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
I agree 110%. Like the old saying goes.. Give them an inch, they take a mile... What people do on their own time should be their own business. If it's illegal, then it should fall under the jurisdiction of law enforcement to handle it. If it is affecting their performance on the job, then I can agree with an employer taking corrective action against that person. Hell, with this mentality, I won't be able to smoke on my back porch before too long since I live in a condo complex.

I do understand that non-smokers don't want to be near smoke, or have to walk through it.. But I really think most non-smokers WAY over dramatize the issue. I always try to be respectful and stay a decent distance from non-smokers while smoking, and I just don't smoke when I'm around children. Either that or leave the area entirely. But at the same time, I should be able to smoke wherever the fawk I want outside. If you don't like it, go the other way. I'm making a conscious effort to be respectful, I feel non-smokers should extend the same courtesy.
Very well put. I've wanted to quit lately, but a big part of me hasn't just because people try to make me.
MommaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
Just look to our neighbors to the north for a preview. Truckers in Canada can't smoke in their rigs, since it's a "workplace."
my work made that rule a couple years ago for our delivery vehicles. we had one driver take us to the labor board because he had to drive a vehicle that had been smoked in, he won.

we had another guy take us to the labor board a few years ago because we had him driving a manual. he didnt claim any medical reasons to not being able to drive it just that other drivers had automatics, we had a mixed fleet of Tacomas, and he felt discriminated against. part of our prehire is can you drive a stick, he answered yes but felt that it didnt mean he would have to. he won and now we're stuck with crappy autos.

just another sign of people with no real world brains trying to tell everyone else what to do. we lost smoking in our bars years ago, at first i didnt like it but it doesnt bother me. but telling me what i can and cant do in my Own vehicle is just rediculous.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I smoke,
I like to smoke.

Yes, I'm addicted, I'm fine with that.
I'm also fair. I don't smoke close to children, or in entry ways of buildings.

I don't want nor do I tolerate people telling me I can't, or shouldn't. Its my choice. I'm an adult.

If don't smoke in places I shouldn't, but I won't put it out because some idiot 200 feet away starts the fake bs "your smoking is bothering me cough"

I don't ask anyone to smoke, nor do I think anyone should. But if you do, its your choice.

The problem with this world is there's to many people pushing there beliefs oin others all while claiming to be standing up for the rights of the people.

Real americans don't force their beliefs on others, nor do they back down from their beliefs because some asshat tells them to.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Most people have been so indoctrinated about certain health hazards that they get kinda crazy, like people who will hold their breath while walking past a smoker and make some snide remark, then go home and cook a meal for the family in an untreated aluminium pot/pan which is just as bad as smoking if not worse, they don't know that grilling or broiling muscle meat (steak)releases carcinogenic Hetercyclic Amines, HCA's, drippings from fish, poultry and meat onto a barbecue also produces Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in the smoke and flare-ups, these people are totaly unaware of how many toxic substances they take in daily, even if they are a hundred miles from anyone smoking a cigarette, walking a couple blocks next to city traffic is like smoking a few, pumping gas into your car, using pesticide in your garden or home, haircare products, makeup, deodorant and even some prescribed medications. Enough already, we all know smoking is not good, but if you think about it, so are many, many, other things that the average person does in daily life, and some are way worse for you and your families health than you would ever care to know.
Link: http://yosemite.epa.gov/ochp/ochpweb.nsf/frmChemicals
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
dnf

wait till clean air acts prohihit you to use your smoker

we only lose right,we are never given more rights

its america,land of the free. that means I will do some things you dont like,and you will do things I dont like. people should get over it.

however,alot of times smokers do hang out right next to the doors
when I hug my wife I dont want to smell the smoke that stuck to her hair.

but just walk to close to a little smoke and thats what happens.
I say smokers are about 50/50 as far as being respectfull of others.

some are very mindfull,others could care less.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

get an e-ciggarette and smoke it everywhere just to piss others off
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #20
Suck it up!

I'm gonna quit smoking and take up habitual farting. No law against that!
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote