Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Cool Pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #5281

Default Re: Cool Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
My dad rode one of these bad boys(very simular) 750cc 2 stroke triple..frightening bike..lol, I had the S2 Kawi which was only a 350 2 stroke triple..
I almost bought a new 750cc triple Kawi in '76 but went for the Honda CB400F instead. I had a couple of buddies with triple Kawis, one had the 250cc and the other the 350cc. The 500cc Kawi had a reputation as a 'widow maker' in the UK as it killed/injured a lot of riders due to it's raw power and rather flexible frame (torque twist under power was a big issue).

The only triple I ever owned was a Yamaha XS750 4-stroke with shaft drive. I bought it used and it had been fitted with slightly higher bars and a very comfortable 'King and Queen' seat. I remember I had to watch throttle application on damp roads when going around roundabouts as the back wheel used to like to 'step out' and you would end up going around 'speedway style' on opposite lock with a spinning rear wheel!
Tako_Kichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #5282
MODERATOR™

Quick flip of the topic for a minute.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #5283
Rock Crawler

Recently discovered cave in Vietnam..just epic
http://ninjanews.com/a-farmer-found-...r-breath-away/
Here is a cool drone flight through
Attached Images

Last edited by vonclod; 03-22-2015 at 07:25 PM.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #5284
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
When those bike are on the pipe look out..the H2 was nicknamed the bic rocket..pretty dangerous in stock form with a loosey goosey frame. My s2 350 weighed about 330lbs and put out maybee 40hp..not bad for that displacment in the earyl 70s
That is pretty good! Especially when the brakes were sub par and the chassis was basically part of the suspension with it flexing under load! My Sportster doesn't make a whole lot more than that, and its about 200 lbs heavier. I may trim it down a bit and possibly pick up a mini cafe fairing and a chin spoiler. I've done all possible bolt on upgrades, but haven't done anything internally.

From something like mine here.....

To this....
(This guy has the same model and year as mine
In the same color and matching pipes as mine. Aside from the air cleaner, he has already done what I have always imagined. Found him on Facebook by chance in a group we both belong to.)

Last edited by MAXXMASHER; 03-23-2015 at 04:24 AM.
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #5285
Rock Crawler

Cool stuff, Sporty is a good engine to mod and make power, I think some of the Buels(shame they are gone) are putting out 100+hp. Nice project keep us posted. My dad rode his H2(80hp just over 400lbs) after he bought it and decided it was a death trap so he stripped her down and welded some gussets into the frame and made it right..it was still scary(hard to keep front wheel down when it hits the powerband) but at least it would go straight. I miss my dad, such a skilled welder/engineer so much I never learned from him.

Last edited by EeePee; 03-23-2015 at 10:41 AM.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #5286
Quarry Creeper

HP is overrated, carving corners is where it's at. I'm fortunate to live in street bike mecca

hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #5287
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
HP is overrated, carving corners is where it's at. I'm fortunate to live in street bike mecca
+1

Plus it's hardly like a Harely can use even 70bhp as they don't stop or go round corners well, so what's the point
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #5288
RCC Addict

I always wanted to put a Harley or two Harley motors in my Miata. Can you imagine the confusion hearing that idle at a stop light. Or fire up without warning..... Badass.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #5289
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
+1

Plus it's hardly like a Harely can use even 70bhp as they don't stop or go round corners well, so what's the point
I'd ride a Harley, yes please

Old 03-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #5290
Quarry Creeper

Twin shocks, belt drive and a Harely motor, no thanks
Exhaust looks perfectly placed to melt your right leg as well, must have taken them all of 10mins to "design" that

The twin exhausts are what nails it for me, that goes into the "all show and no go" category for me, just like Harelys in fact

Last edited by EeePee; 03-23-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #5291
I wanna be Dave

The XR 750 was introduced in 1970 and has dominated the flat track scene ever since. It possesses engine power characteristics that are ideal for flat track racing. It has a gradual powerband that delivers excellent torque and horsepower. And since they switched to alloy cylinders in 1972 from its original cast iron cylinders, it has been extremely durable.

just saying..........

Flat Track Grand National Champions

2009 - Jared Mees (Harley-Davidson)
2008 - Ken Coolbeth (Harley-Davidson/Honda)
2007 - Ken Coolbeth (Harley-Davidson/Honda)
2006 - Ken Coolbeth (Harley-Davidson/Honda)
2005 - Chris Carr (Harley-Davidson/KTM)
2004 - Chris Carr (Harley-Davidson/Rotax/KTM)
2003 - Chris Carr (Harley-Davidson/Rotax/VOR)
2002 - Chris Carr (HarleyDavidson/Rotax/ATK/VOR)
2001 - Chris Carr (Harley-Davidson/Rotax /ATK)
2000 - Joe Kopp (Harley-Davidson)
1999 - Chris Carr (Harley-Davidson)
1998 - Scott Parker (Harley-Davidson)
1997 - Scott Parker (Harley-Davidson)
1996 - Scott Parker (Harley-Davidson)
1995 - Scott Parker (Harley-Davidson)
1994 - Scott Parker (Harley-Davidson)
1993 - Ricky Graham (Honda)
1992 - Chris Carr (Harley-Davidson)
1991 - Scott Parker (Harley-Davidson)
1990 - Scott Parker (Harley-Davidson)
1989 - Scott Parker (Harley-Davidson)
1988 - Scott Parker (Harley-Davidson)
1987 - Bubba Shobert (Honda)
1986 - Bubba Shobert (Honda)
1985 - Bubba Shobert (Honda)
1984 - Ricky Graham (Honda)
1983 - Randy Goss (Harley-Davidson)
1982 - Ricky Graham (Harley-Davidson)
1981 - Mike Kidd (Harley-Davidson/Yamaha)
1980 - Randy Goss (Harley-Davidson)
1979 - Steve Eklund (Harley-Davidson/Yamaha)
1978 - Jay Springsteen (Harley-Davidson)
1977 - Jay Springsteen (Harley-Davidson)
1976 - Jay Springsteen (Harley-Davidson)
1975 - Gary Scott (Harley-Davidson)
1974 - Kenny Roberts (Yamaha)
1973 - Kenny Roberts (Yamaha)
1972 - Mark Brelsford (Harley-Davidson)
1971 - Dick Mann (BSA)
1970 - Gene Romero (Triumph)
1969 - Mert Lawill (Harley-Davidson)
1968 - Gary Nixon (Triumph)
1967 - Gary Nixon (Triumph)
1966 - Bart Markel (Harley-Davidson)
1965 - Bart Markel (Harley-Davidson)
1964 - Roger Reiman (Harley-Davidson)
1963 - Dick Mann (BSA/MAT)
1962 - Bart Markel (Harley-Davidson)
1961 - Carroll Resweber (Harley-Davidson)
1960 - Carroll Resweber (Harley-Davidson)
1959 - Carroll Resweber (Harley-Davidson)
1958 - Carroll Resweber (Harley-Davidson)
1957 - Joe Leonard (Harley-Davidson)
1956 - Joe Leonard (Harley-Davidson)
1955 - Brad Andres (Harley-Davidson)
1954 - Joe Leonard (Harley-Davidson)

love me some XR 750"s
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:54 PM   #5292
MODERATOR™

What kind of curve is desirable for flat track?

Fat torque curve or peaky high end?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #5293
Quarry Creeper

mikro383 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:23 AM   #5294
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksloski View Post
The XR 750 was introduced in 1970 and has dominated the flat track scene ever since. It possesses engine power characteristics that are ideal for flat track racing. It has a gradual powerband that delivers excellent torque and horsepower. And since they switched to alloy cylinders in 1972 from its original cast iron cylinders, it has been extremely durable.
I see, so Harleys are good off-road then?
Any Motocross or enduro championships won on a Harley?

Just asking

In all seriousness if you're American the draw is obvious, there are areas with long straight roads so cruising is more important than cornering, they're also American so folks buy with their heart.

I've ridden several though and in my opinion coming from sportsbikes, they're crap.
The suspension is crap, the brakes are crap, the sitting position is crap, the engine is like it's been taken out of a tractor, the foot forward position is crap and they handle so bad they become a liability when ridden on European roads in a group.

The other thing over here in Europe is that most Harely buyers don't have a foooookin clue about bikes, most are middle aged bank managers going through a mid life crisis, so they buy into the life style idea of a Harley.
Which to be honest is equally kinda funny and sad by the same amount.

So for Americans in America i still think they're crap bikes but i understand the draw, i still think they're crap as bikes though.

But then again i have a Miata and Smart and play with toy cars so......
Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #5295
I wanna be Dave

Harley's have a niche, and apparently it's not one you fit in. I don't own one and never will. But I know quite a few that do and love them for what they are and how they use them. Which is basically just cruising. They'll make a 3-4 day trip on them crushing the scenic highways. Try that on a crotch rocket as a middle aged person with the wifey on the bag while carrying several changes of clothes and toiletries in saddle bags or a backpack. Just saying. You laugh at Harley's like we laugh at Smart cars.

It's all good. Different machine, different riding conditions, and a different mindset.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #5296
~THE SCALE SHOP~

STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #5297
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Harley's have a niche, and apparently it's not one you fit in. I don't own one and never will. But I know quite a few that do and love them for what they are and how they use them. Which is basically just cruising. They'll make a 3-4 day trip on them crushing the scenic highways. Try that on a crotch rocket as a middle aged person with the wifey on the bag while carrying several changes of clothes and toiletries in saddle bags or a backpack. Just saying. You laugh at Harley's like we laugh at Smart cars.

It's all good. Different machine, different riding conditions, and a different mindset.
Never really understood why folks think of sportsbikes as uncomfortable.
The Mrs and i have done Greece to the UK and back a few times on various sportsbikes.
Throw in a bit of touring getting there and we usually see 5000 miles in 3 weeks.

My old Cbr fv pic'd here in the alps

Each to their own, as i say in the US i can understand the appeal even if they're not for me
Old 03-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #5298
Quarry Creeper

Yep all show, no go, as pictured below. My point was that Harley has made a model that turns, stops, and does things that you would not normally think they'd be suited for. If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine. But automatically dismissing something's capabilities based on appearance alone is pretty closed minded IMO. I've had my eyes opened more than once by guys on completely unassuming looking bikes, and for that matter, completely unassuming looking riders.

They even have a spec class series devoted to it, and if I had the cash, I'd love to race in it. It all comes down to the rider and bike setup that way.

Last edited by hpiguy; 03-24-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #5299
Quarry Creeper

Harleys are great for Motocross.

Harleys are slowly creeping into freestyle motocross now.

59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #5300
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Yep all show, no go, as pictured below. My point was that Harley has made a model that turns, stops, and does things that you would not normally think they'd be suited for. If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine. But automatically dismissing something's capabilities based on appearance alone is pretty closed minded IMO. I've had my eyes opened more than once by guys on completely unassuming looking bikes, and for that matter, completely unassuming looking riders.

They even have a spec class series devoted to it, and if I had the cash, I'd love to race in it. It all comes down to the rider and bike setup that way.

All you have shown is that a Harley can compete with other Harleys IF only Harleys are in the same race.

I used to race old air cooled TZ250's, we had a blast but compared to any other bike it was like riding a pushbike speed wise.

As far as judging something based upon appearances.
Twin shocks aren't the best way to go, i know this from experience, the fact that they've been replaced by mono shocks on pretty much all performance motorbikes is a pretty reliable tell tale.

There is absolutely no performance gain to be had by using 2 end cans of a 4 stroke, all you're doing is adding weight.
If that's not done just for show i don't know what is.

I'd also question the logic of having 1 shock right next to the exhaust, unless it's a mod that's restricted due to some class regulations it seems a pretty daft location.

A quick google and first mention of lap times i found for the Harleys was at NJMP..
A Harley-Davidson XR1200 ridden by Shane Narbonne clocked a 1:29.773

First google result i found for a road bike time there was this guy on a R6 with road tyres.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao8NwkAq6dQ

At 6:20 he posted a lap of 1'32.24

Sure 2.5 seconds a lap is a huge gap, there's not a racer in the world that wouldn't do anything to get that sort of advantage.
But for (what seems) to be a stock 600cc road bike (i.e. with lights, number plate, stock fairing etc) on road tyres, being ridden by someone without race experience, hopefully it goes some way to put my point forward that Harleys aren't really circuit bikes and that by making them so it's all about show.

Not to say slow bikes aren't entertaining to watch if they're evenly matched, but it's more a Harely public relations exercise than anything else IMO, hence the all show no go remark

*BTW Josh Hayes posted a 1:20.716 in 2009 there in the American Superbike championship
Such a shame he didn't get a better chance in MotoGP