Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Xbox to Laptop connect??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Xbox to Laptop connect??

Need some help connecting the box to my laptop via an ethernet cable. Ive tired everything I can possibly think of or find on the net. I would like to access my music/movies from the computer as well as use the wireless connection to access live. Heres what Ive tried and still no luck. Bridged the LAN with the wireless, changed around ip adresses and installed windows media 11. Ive also tried countless other lil things and combos of things with no luck. Heres where im at, I can get windows media 11 to find the xbox and I have got the connection bridged without kicking me off of wireless. Other than WM11 recognizing that the xbox is there I can get no other signs of connection between the two. I think that once I can get the xbox and computer to connect then I would have no problems getting live setup. Has anyone else had these problems or may have some insight as to what the problem might be?
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

What operating system is on the laptop. There is some software I downloaded to my computer from microsoft that let my desktop(vista 64 bit premium) find and talk with my xbox. But I have them connected through a router, not direct.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Gold Star Baby Momma!

Windows media center in vista will connect with my laptop through my router, albeit very, very slow. Have never tried to connect with wires though.
Tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

zune player works better plus you can use it while playing games.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Im running xp with service pack 3 and windows media 11. Windows media will find the xbox but the xbox shows no signs of a connection. I keep getting a conflicting IP address message on the comp.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

are you connecting directly to the xbox or through a switch? I think part of your problem is that you are not running a "media" version of windows. The ip address conflict is another story and you should set all your adapters to obtain an ip automatically and then make sure you have enough addresses allocated for dhcp in the router/switch.

Have you given twonky media a shot?

I have found that running a dedicated whs is much smoother and more reliable when streaming to an xbox.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i know the situation, he is trying to connect to a the laptop directly, next time i am over there, he has a spare netgear access point, and i am going to see if i can convert that to a bridge that he can connect the xbox through.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i would imagine a crossover cable would work.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

From what I have read all you need for XP to work is the service pack 2 update. I have updated to SP3 and added WM11 which has windows connect. My LAN connection can be setup for ICS but I cant figure out how to setup the incoming wireless for this. I have gotten the Xbox to at least get a connection to the network through bridging the connections but it will not find a pc. Ive also changed settings in the router. So Kurt your theory of having a media OS could be right.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I'm running Vista now on my laptop, and had XP on my PC. Both worked fine for me. I always used a router, not direct, and it has worked fine. I'm no computer wiz either, more or less computer illiterate actually. I set up media center with it and have the Zune software installed on both computers. I can use either the dashboard to watch/listen or media center. The XBOX site helped me through any of my little glitches I had, but it went pretty smooth. I am running the XBOX wired, not wireless, I dunno if there's any difference on setting it up.
jimgavey is offline   Reply With Quote