Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Anybody a Trucker here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

not much for truckin, but we need a semi to haul our fork lifts and automatic scafolding. Ive been pulling loads for our masonary company with a 91 Dodge 1-ton, 5.9 cummins, flat bed, 5-speed, and air bags, rellay wish we had a semi to pull our damn loads, we got semi trailers but no truck to pull them
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
not much for truckin, but we need a semi to haul our fork lifts and automatic scafolding. Ive been pulling loads for our masonary company with a 91 Dodge 1-ton, 5.9 cummins, flat bed, 5-speed, and air bags, rellay wish we had a semi to pull our damn loads, we got semi trailers but no truck to pull them
Well what the hell is the point of that?

Nah, just kidding.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
You can get cheap semi's for around 3-8k. As for the cummins, please our company pickup truck was a 95 dodge 1-ton, 12 valve cummins diesel, flat bed, 5 speed, we pulled a fawkin house trailer with it. Frame on the trailer broke the frame was dragging the ground and we was pulling the trailer and its broken frame uphil to get it somewhere to stop.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_crawler View Post
The volvo's are nice. We have 5 volvo 670's and there nice and roomy. I like the international prostar's but I can't get over the damn automatic transmission in the heartland express trucks.
Thats a international
CUSTOMHILUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #25
LR3
Rock Crawler

Let's see a pic of you and one of the company trucks crawler lol.
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
used to be. Can't say i miss it much.
x2....
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
x2....
You're no fun. All I've ever wanted to do since I was little was drive trucks. Here's me and my dad, who passed away in '91, truckin' it up back about '77 or '78.

TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerBrad View Post
You're no fun. All I've ever wanted to do since I was little was drive trucks. Here's me and my dad, who passed away in '91, truckin' it up back about '77 or '78.

I "was fun" until I took the swan dive off my truck and had to have surgery on my knee. I do miss it at times, Brad. I wanted to drive trucks since I was little also.
I did dig through an old photo album and scanned some pics onto my computer.

The first truck I drove in northern CA

My favorite that I drove for a company out of Nebraska. 1987 379 Pete. 3406C Cat, 18 spd.

4 axle tractor I pulled a 3 axle flatbed trailer with here in Montana

Crappy pic of the Super B I drove here in MT and around the northwest US. Nevermind the the print you see. I had to explain to my dad in CA what exactly a Super B was
Unfortunately this is the only pic I can find of it right now
super b 001

Someplace around here I have pics of the last truck I drove. It was a 2007 4 axle 379 Pete that I used to pull a 4 axle chip trailer with.....

Last edited by montana.matt; 08-06-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
You're no fun.
And I definitely won't miss it this winter. No more shoveling snow off the top of my chip trailer to get the tarp rolled open and no more trying to roll lumber tarps up when it's -40 out and they roll up to about the size of a house
I'll be happy I'm driving a desk where it's nice and warm
Old 08-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You can get cheap semi's for around 3-8k. As for the cummins, please our company pickup truck was a 95 dodge 1-ton, 12 valve cummins diesel, flat bed, 5 speed, we pulled a fawkin house trailer with it. Frame on the trailer broke the frame was dragging the ground and we was pulling the trailer and its broken frame uphil to get it somewhere to stop.
grandpa is just too damn hard headed to get one!

5.9 is an awesome motor! best 6 cyl. ever made! ours has well over 500,000, another local one has 973,000, good care and matinace they f***in last! but thats nouthin to a semi to have over 2 million miles!

just today at work i was haulin 3 30ft long bridges for automatic scafolding, 2 6x4 "feet" for them, set of hand rails, and a set of tie bars that ties it to the wall, each bridge weighs about 6500lbs a pice, a foot is around 400lbs, hand rail is 40lbs, a set is 50 i think, tie bars are 20 a pice, had 30 of them, and about another 1500lbs in misc. items. she idled up hill in 1st gear, with out a load ill never use 1st gear, too damn low! and she likes to be driven hard, shes a little cranked up too!

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 08-06-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby View Post
Well what the hell is the point of that?

Nah, just kidding.
cuz we got a feller who comes and hauls them for us, we got a crane truck that will pull a semi trailer, but not over 45mph its a real pice of work!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You're no fun. All I've ever wanted to do since I was little was drive trucks.
Same here, til I did it

Drivers have to put up with so much shit, it's not even funny.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
grandpa is just too damn hard headed to get one!

5.9 is an awesome motor! best 6 cyl. ever made! ours has well over 500,000, another local one has 973,000, good care and matinace they f***in last! but thats nouthin to a semi to have over 2 million miles!

just today at work i was haulin 3 30ft long bridges for automatic scafolding, 2 6x4 "feet" for them, set of hand rails, and a set of tie bars that ties it to the wall, each bridge weighs about 6500lbs a pice, a foot is around 400lbs, hand rail is 40lbs, a set is 50 i think, tie bars are 20 a pice, had 30 of them, and about another 1500lbs in misc. items. she idled up hill in 1st gear, with out a load ill never use 1st gear, too damn low! and she likes to be driven hard, shes a little cranked up too!
2 million miles I would be tired of working on it. I think on a 2 million mile truck it would be around 20 or so years old, not getting good fuel mileage, and at our company it would be parked. We have a 98 379 pete, 550 Cat, 18 speed with 1.5 million on it and it still going strong, never had to touch the motor. Thats a pete for you!

Last edited by country_crawler; 08-07-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
Same here, til I did it

Drivers have to put up with so much shit, it's not even funny.
x2. Best thing I have found for drivers is keep your mouth shut and do your job. and Don't screw up the trucks. I can't tell you how many trucks have came back wrecked, tore up, things missing just sitting on the lot and the driver no where to be found. Alot of people like to steal, chains, straps, binders, ect, needless to say my dad is around 6'2 and 295lbs, its not a good day when he catches them.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
x2. Best thing I have found for drivers is keep your mouth shut and do your job. and Don't screw up the trucks. I can't tell you how many trucks have came back wrecked, tore up, things missing just sitting on the lot and the driver no where to be found. Alot of people like to steal, chains, straps, binders, ect, needless to say my dad is around 6'2 and 295lbs, its not a good day when he catches them.
Sounds to me like you need to check your drivers out a little better before putting them in a truck.

I'm pretty lucky to be working where I am. We have it really good compared to most. We only haul for a handful of companies so we're not going someplace new all the time. We get weekends off at the house unless we let the office know that we'd like to work, or she will ask if we would mind running over the weekend. My boss has 15 trucks and the driver's time with the company range from 24 years down to the new guy that's been there a little over a year now with most of us around 6 to 8 years with him.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Sounds to me like you need to check your drivers out a little better before putting them in a truck.
Well put....
Old 08-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:

I'm pretty lucky to be working where I am. We have it really good compared to most. We only haul for a handful of companies so we're not going someplace new all the time. We get weekends off at the house unless we let the office know that we'd like to work, or she will ask if we would mind running over the weekend. My boss has 15 trucks and the driver's time with the company range from 24 years down to the new guy that's been there a little over a year now with most of us around 6 to 8 years with him.
Were based in a small town, and you'll get everybody, and some that look like good people and then they'll steal from you.

We leased out to Rush Trucking, and we run Dedicated runs now. We split our 10 trucks up evenly. 5 runs to El Paso, TX empty then hauls car parts to Lousville,KY once a week and home on weekends. The other 5 go from Spring Hill,TN to Kansas City, MO 2 or 3 times a week and home on the weekends. Its no touch van frieght all you do, is drive from point a to point b, back it up to a dock sit in your truck, then shut your doors and drive.