Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Black day for off road racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #21
RCC Addict

I feel sorry for the ones that died and were injured and for the driver who had to go through that. It isnt the drivers fault that this happened, the spectators know that they are supposed to be 100ft from the track and they chose not to follow that. If you get a bunch of people, beer, and a huge event something is gonna happen no matter what. I may sound like an ass but I follow a rule of thumb "Shit happens". If that spot is one of the hottest spots to watch the race then maybe the guy running the event needs to pay a little more attetion to the safety around that area. Once again i hope I dont come off to sound like an ass about this, My prayers are with the ones hurt and lost.

Last edited by jwalker; 08-16-2010 at 08:42 AM.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Just saw this on the news this morning. From what they were saying, driver would not be charged. I'm sure having to live with this the rest of his life is punishment enough.

I'm not surprised people were standing in a dangerous area like that. While dangerous, it also is where the action is and where people like to be seated to take pics, etc.

I wonder what kind of insurance policy the organizers had? In most cases, it would serve to indemnify them against any responsibility from injury or death. Not sure if it would extend to protecting the drivers (assuming they were not driving carelessly but also realizing it's a dangerous sport). In any case, I have a feeling there's going to be a shitstorm of lawsuits that come out of this. Black day indeed.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
the spectators know that they are supposed to be 100ft from the track and they chose not to follow that.
Glad someone else mentioned that. No way should the race organizer, driver, team or anyone else be at fault. The driver wasn't going 100mph, it was a freak accident, i'm sure we've all seen videos from the baja 1000, where they are going much faster through even tighter crowds. Front left tire could have landed in an awkward shaped hole, causing the truck to rebound weird causing a roll over. Who knows, but if the spec's were 100ft from the track, chances are it wouldn't have happened. Even if it rolled 120ft, people would have seen it rolling towards them and got out of the way. I'm not bashing those spectators, i would have been right there with them. Enforce the 100ft rule, and keep the sport going. I'm sure the driver feels awful about the situation, and probably is dealing with a lot more than anyone can imagine. I hope he can be forgiven by the loved ones who are gone. Godbless all those involved.

Last edited by dirk379; 08-16-2010 at 10:30 AM.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #24
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
No way should the race organizer, driver, team or anyone else be at fault.
Nearly every motor sports event I've ever attended had a disclaimer on the back of the ticket releasing anyone involved with the race from any responsibility concerning accidental injury or death spectators. By purchasing that ticket, you accept those terms.

Like the old saying goes, you pay your money, you take your chances.

It is unfortunate that things happened as they did, but it was their decision to stand dangerously close to the action.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Nearly every motor sports event I've ever attended had a disclaimer on the back of the ticket releasing anyone involved with the race from any responsibility concerning accidental injury or death spectators. By purchasing that ticket, you accept those terms.

Like the old saying goes, you pay your money, you take your chances.

It is unfortunate that things happened as they did, but it was their decision to stand dangerously close to the action.
It even says that on the back of the hockey tickets of the games I go to, they aren't responsible if you get smoked in the head with a puck.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Only problem is that there is no ticket or spectator fee for most desert racing. You just drive around the desert until you find the spot that looks the best to you, Then sit and watch.
I've been 100' from a trophy truck doing 90mph plus and that was scary. Can't imagine why anyone would go to the edge of the road like that.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I feel sorry for the ones that died and were injured and for the driver who had to go through that. It isnt the drivers fault that this happened, the spectators know that they are supposed to be 100ft from the track and they chose not to follow that. If you get a bunch of people, beer, and a huge event something is gonna happen no matter what. I may sound like an ass but I follow a rule of thumb "Shit happens". If that spot is one of the hottest spots to watch the race then maybe the guy running the event needs to pay a little more attetion to the safety around that area. Once again i hope I dont come off to sound like an ass about this, My prayers are with the ones hurt and lost.
it is 100ft and never on the outside of a turn.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #28
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59sled View Post
Only problem is that there is no ticket or spectator fee for most desert racing. You just drive around the desert until you find the spot that looks the best to you, Then sit and watch.
I've been 100' from a trophy truck doing 90mph plus and that was scary. Can't imagine why anyone would go to the edge of the road like that.
Still, there is an element of personal responsibility there. If you drive out to the desert to watch away from barriers, you are responsible for your own safety.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote