Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Cameras and HD camcorders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Tossin' Salad

Default Cameras and HD camcorders

So, I did a little searching, and did not find any recent thread about this subject. Pardon me if it has been covered recently.

Right now I am using a point and shoot Sony 10 Megapixel. The video sucks, flat out. I have really been thinking to pick up a good DSLR with HD video capability, but the price is astronomical. The Canon 5D Mark II is a good example. Pricey, but does everything.

On the other hand, I could just use the point and shoot for simple pics for updates, but get a decent camcorder.

What say ye? What is the route I should be looking here? I do plan to get more heavy into recording and photography, but the entry price of the gear I want is quite high.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

So far I've found it hard to find a device that does both really well, vid and pic. It may be pricey, but I think overall it'll be worth it to go separate. I was nervous about buying the Panasonic HDC-HS700K because the price tag was high, at least to me it was. But now that I have it, it was totally worth it. Small, lightweight, tons of features, and great video quality are just some of the reasons I don't regret it.
TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Tossin' Salad

Yeah, Lisa...that Panasonic is quite good. I will go to Hong Kong next week to have a look around. I can usually find pretty good deals for these types of electronics.

One of my only requirements is that it records in H.264 full HD, which is now somewhat of a standard.....makes life easy trying to use iMovie.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

DSLR's are not video cameras. They are still camera's that a marketing department put a video option on. Most (possibly all) will not auto focus while shooting video, HD or not. On top of that audio quality is toilet with them, I think the higher end Canon's have an external mic input- I am a Nikon guy so I am only going of what I have heard.

Find out which you do more of, video or still. Then spend your money accordingly.

And, yes. This has been covered.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The Canon 5D or 7D both offer great photo quality, as long as you have the lenses and abilities to take a good photo. They are even the cameras used as additional footage for several TV shows and movies. The HD video quality is great. Yes audio can be a small issue but there are high quality mics out there to take care of it.

The new Sony NEX-VG10 camcorder.... has me wanting to sell off the FX7 and get it this fall/winter.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote