Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Hurricane Earl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Hurricane Earl

if you haven't already heard. hurricane earl is suppose to be brushing along the east coast. is anyone preparing for when it hits? i live only 3 mins from the beach so im kind of worried. you see were it says sally ike rd. on the map (yellow highlighted)? at the top of sally ike were it says herbertsville is were i live. and you can clearly see were the ocean is and im basicaly surrounded by water.
Bryan732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Thats wierd. All the stations down south are saying that NC might get touched but then its supposed to turn back out to sea. Rich VA isnt even supposed to get anything. I wouldnt think youd have anything to worry about up there???
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

HLN is saying its going all east coast and heading back out to the ocean up by canada ay?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan732 View Post
HLN is saying its going all east coast and heading back out to the ocean up by canada ay?
Where it should simmer down because of the cool water...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
dkf
Rock Crawler

I'm watching it who knows where it may go. With the weather out west and the jetstream the way it is it could come into shore farther than expected. In the past hurricanes and TS have done some wild unpredictable path changes. Where your located, I'd have the shit in the car pointed PA way just in case. Its not just the wind but the possible rain and storm surge. Its dry as a fart hear in PA, I'm hoping for from rain.

Last edited by dkf; 09-02-2010 at 08:20 AM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

well i just talked to my mom and she apparently doesn't care if evacuation is advised. shes turning into one of thoes old people who are satisfied were there at and arnt for sudden change
Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

"Hurricane Earl path is likely to spare N.J."
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...likely_to.html

but look at some of the comments though...

"you should NOT be posting news articles like this. you are not qualified or certified to comment on when and where a hurricane which is largely an "unpredictable force of nature" will end up. new jersey residents need to prepare for anything bad in the event this thing turns north and heads west. then let me tell you what? NJ will take a direct hit from a category 3 and possibly 4 strength monster of a storm. NJ.com do us all a favor and STOP commenting on hurricanes. all you're doing is discredting your journalism." -edward78

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201....html#comments
Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
dkf
Rock Crawler

I tend to agree with that guys comments. I remember seeing a storm down off the coast of FL the other year where the storm looked like it was going off sharply into the atlantic then did a massive turn and nailed FL. Its unpredictable and storm surges and rain can wipe out low lying areas. It seems NJ.com doesn't want to hurt the tourism for the Labor day weekend. Money over anything else remember.

If mom don't want to leave slip her some sleeping pills and she'll wake up in another state none the wiser.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Either bug out or bug in.
only you know your situation and how well you and yours are set for a disaster.

If your staying you need three things in this order. WATER, FOOD, SECURITY.

Or a way to secure them. DO you want to be the only one in the "hood" running a generator and have a 20YO gangbanger take EVERYTHING from you with a 50.00 raver pistol just cause you were NOT thinking?

Think of all the disasters this country's faced and how THE GOV. WAS NOT THERE! Or when they were how they messed things up. (kitrina).

I won't go into a lot of detail... This isn't a survival/gun board, and your original post leads me to believe you're not a gun nut or survivalist. No offense.

BUT if your posting on the internet for advice the DAY disaster is comming you're NOT ready.

I really hope it's a NON-event and you and yours are safe no matter what you choose. Hell I hope everyone is save and it's a non-event. Disaster is never good just ask the dinasours!

Later
Rich
armalite_ar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by armalite_ar50 View Post
Think of all the disasters this country's faced and how THE GOV. WAS NOT THERE! Or when they were how they messed things up. (kitrina).
You are referring to failures by the local government. Just a few years ago, my area experienced a devastating hurricane. Did we have similar problems to what we saw after Katrina? Nope. All thanks to our local government doing their jobs and coordinating relief with the federal government.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

as you might not know im only 16 so their is much i cant do. im no survivalist nor do i own any firearms but im a solid 256lbs with a pocket knife. but if we get hit theres not much i can do. just have to hope for the best i suppose.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Damn it, did W let another hurricane out of the corral?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

JeremyH

What I'm trying to convey is to make the right preps. and rely on yourself.
BE HONEST and asses your situation.

Is it worth it to leave or stay?
If you stay, are you a burden or are you ready to help yourself so you can help others.
(do you need meds.? a special diet? DOES YOUR FAMILY?) Or he people you want to help? If so DO YOU HAVE what they need?

If so do you have enough for the long haul?

Local Gov. ain't gonna work unless the locals are willing to work together.

I know what you mean about coming together.
BUT in a large population things seem to tear apart.

I just want anyone in the path of earl to think and make the best decision for them and their family.

Like I said I really hope it's a non-event. we have enough finacial ruin from the gulf. we don't meed this on the alantic.

Later
Rich
Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
but if we get hit theres not much i can do. just have to hope for the best i suppose.
There are plenty of things you can do to prepare for an upcoming hurricane. As I mentioned earlier, Houston was hit by a major hurricane a few years ago and I learned a LOT during that storm....my family did not leave. I did not have a generator, but didnt find it extremely necessary. My home was without power for more than two weeks. The items that I did find helpful were:

- Tea light candles (easy to maneuver and cheap) ~50
- Lighter
- Cards/boardgames
- Fill clean bathtubs with water (if city water loses pressure, its output can become contaminated) for drinking
- Gas powered chainsaw (I got a heck of a workout using my manual saw)
- lots of drinking water
- battery operated fans (for sleeping at night)
- Car charger for cell phone
- Full gas tanks in car and spare tanks filled
- Keep fridge closed as LONG as possible...only open for short periods of time

Last edited by JeremyH; 09-02-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by armalite_ar50 View Post
I know what you mean about coming together. BUT in a large population things seem to tear apart.
The population of Houston is pushing 6 million....our mayor did an EXCELLENT of coordinating with FEMA and when they were of no use any longer, he told them to hit the road.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

http://frugalsquirrels.com/
Join that board after EARL passes.

You live in a area that is prone for disater.

I moved to PA for a reason (nothing happens here)

Your 16
I'm 40
I've been into to staying alive for a while. (I'm still here and that's proof in the pudd'n)

I'm set, your to young to be set unless your parents did it.

So keep your head about you. and prep. prep. prep.
like the poster said fill the tubs.

Boil water if the pub. works shuts off.

also keep a cool head, panic kills. with you asking what you have shows self preservation and the willingness to make it and learn.

look around your house for tools. TOOLS make things.

BE AWARE of your souroundings. NO matter where you are.

You said you have a knife? all you need after that is to have a imagination and not go on a rampage.

I want you and everyone there to make it.

Later
Ric
Old 09-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

thanks for all the advice ric. i was just thinking about my surroundings as well. i have a reservoir 40ft from my house for water and theres an overpass like 60ft away for clearance if theres a flood. my dad has a deere and a trailer in the shed im my yard that can also be put to use.

by the looks of earl as it is now without progressing into a cat4. what kind of damage is expected? broken branches obviously.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
what kind of damage is expected? broken branches obviously.
Here is what my house looked like after Ike (keep in mind, I live about 60 miles from where Ike made landfall) which was a category 4:

Nearby bayou:
(before)

(after)
Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
PapaGriz Yo

When hurricane Andrew went through I spent several days on the OPD (Offshore Petrolium Divers) barge in Sabine Pass Texas. I figured it would be a safe place and I'd be ready to go to work, even though they evacuated the town.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

i think i heard the eye of the storm is like 100mi off shore