Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Fishing

So A while back(on my local board) I posted a thread about fishing. Today, while walking through my local Walmart, I got a wild hair to look at what they had for fishing gear. Seems like if I were to come with a hundred bucks in my pocket, I could get enough goodies to get started with some beginner fishing off our local banks.

My question is, is there brands I should look for, or avoid? I like the reel that is in the link below. Seemed smooth, and nice. Perhaps it is a piece of crap. I know NOTHING about fishing or the equipment. Would I be better off getting something that is already put together, or get a rod and reel seperate? I assume that the hooks, and other assorted tackle would depend on the place I am fishing?

Any help is appreciated. I don't know anyone close enough to ask about these kinds of things, and want to go do a little fishing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Okuma-Tyci...-Reel/10993620
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I bought a Abu Garcia combo from wal mart years ago and have had no problems. I've even gone back recently and bought another Abu Garcia combo for the lady and Mine is still as buttery smooth as hers. We use them for lake fishing. I believe they're both 6-12lb and 6'6".

You also cant go wrong with an ugly stick.

this is the one i got recently for the lady.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Abu-Garcia...-Combo/6395945

the hooks and bait and all that stuff is going to be determined by what you're trying to catch. And everyone has different opinions on using certain things (hooks/bait/knots) to catch certain fish. So your best bet would be to find some locals and find out what they're using.

Last edited by TANK; 09-09-2010 at 11:54 PM.
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have a ultra light ugly stick best rod i have ever had. reel that comes on it blows. Tell ya what talk about fun with a steel head on it the rod at wal-mart was around $30
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
Tossin' Salad

I would start by indentifying what type of fish you want to catch first. If you want to do lake fishing, it is much different than shallow creek or river fishing. Fly fishing I think is the purest art form.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Like others have said, It all depends on where you are going to fish and what you are going to be fishing for. My best advice is go talk to the guys at a local bait shop, they always know where the fish are biting and what to use to get them to bite.

I prefer an open face reel and a 6 to 6,6 foot rod with a graphite blank and ceramic or ti guides, my favorite right now is a 6 foot ugly stick and a mitchell reel the rod is on the stiffer side for more control while casting.

Last edited by thumper68; 09-10-2010 at 05:23 AM.
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
dkf
Rock Crawler

I agree we need to know what type of fishing your going to be doing. Always best to buy a rod and reel seperate IMO. There are actually some very low cost rods and reels out there with some very good quality. If your a beginner with little no no fishing experience a bait casting reel like in the link is not the best option. Bait casting reels can be difficult to cast for beginners and usually work best with heavier lures 1/4oz. plus. A spinning reel would be a much better choice.

Last edited by dkf; 09-10-2010 at 06:50 AM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I do know, that out on Sauvies Island, you can catch catfish like they're going out of style, with just worms from the little store down the road. At least the one time I did when I was a little kid we did. And out on the Columbia, I am pretty sure you can catch Salmon, and I have heard that there is Steelhead in the creek by my house.

I am going to pay a visit to my local bait shop and get a little info. Thanks for the imput thus far guys.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

judging by his avatar, id say he plans on fishing for bASS
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Went to my local bait shop here in Scappoose, and found out alot of info. Next week I will pry pick up a decent rod and reel, some light gear, and buy my licence. Out here we can catch alot off the shore apparently. Salmon, sturgeon, steel head, catfish, walleye, pan fish, and a few others. So needless to say, I wont get bored too soon.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Well, I have none dollars into this so far, and have a couple goodies. Pry going to put the bigger abu reel on the rod I have, and get an ugly stick for one of the other reels.

I am going to get my licene and tags this week, then go fishing for bass, trout, and steel head. Once I have a big enough reel and rod, I am gunnin for salmon and sturgeon.

Got these from a buddy. Biggest one I was told is a 12lb max reel. But free is the shit.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Fighting anything on ultralight gear is a lot of fun.........Good Stuff...
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Can we throw rocks at the "FISH"?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i buy nothing but baitcasters. i have 7 of them. i mainly use pfluger reels. pretty pricy though. one of the best reels i have though is the cheapest one too. it is a bass pro shop brand and it was 75bucks for rod and reel. when rods usually cost me about 100 and the reel is around 200 or so. then you got on average 5 bucks per lure. it can be as expensive as this hooby. throw in gold clubs....fishing gear....camping and my other hobbies and needless to say my wife wasnt happy with me getting another hobby. I said its another hobby or another wife take your pick woman...now go make me dinner. LOL then i woke up.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

So, I have accumulated enough crap to get started. Got a bigger rod and reel at my local bait shop, and a smaller rod, on the consignment wall. The bigger one is a 10ft, 10-20lb test setup. I will be mainly bank fishing for salmon, steel head, and sturgeon. But I do have a couple smaller rods and reels for smaller fish.

Also, bought a cheap tackle box of CL to get me started. The gal that owns the bait shop said I didn't get THAT good of a deal, but I figure it was a good assortment of stuff just to have something to start with. Then I spent 14 bucks in some other misc goodies I needed to get from her, my tag, and licence, and now I am set. I will try to get out this week after work.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

looks good what is the rod on the right is that a ugly stick?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have a Desent reel that is an extra and to bog for my ultra lite its yours if ya pay shipping let me know and ill get a pic of it in tommarow
Old 09-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

It's a Marshall.

I got a bunch of reels now. Thanks anywho
Old 09-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Chris .. take a look at this site. It's kinda neat. http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing...ncatchableFish
nomobux is offline   Reply With Quote