Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: My LHS rant....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Thumbs down My LHS rant....

So the lhs here has been open for about a year. I really havent bought much there since they are are all nitro heads they don't carry much I need. Since it was local I tried to buy what I could there but it was only small things like dean's and rod ends. Last week I went in to buy another pack of rod ends for my new project and also bought a used slash. The slash was one of the owners trucks and I was told that it had brand new aluminum front hubs, esc/motor and shocks.

Unfortunately I didn't get to drive it in the store, because they didnt even have a charged battery, and now I'm kicking myself for it. I got it home and had to set the gear mesh, cange the screws in the top of the shocks because they were wrong, add the metal spacers in the rod ends, change the "brand new aluminum hubs" because they were worn to hell, change all the spindles because they were bent, and thats only the least of it. I got 4 packs through it and the esc died. So I went back and asked them if they could look at it and they treated me like a fawking idiot by asking if the battery was charged...or if the motor was hooked up. After they found the the ground connector had melted they simply told me a new one was $35.

REALLY?!?!? Either 1. the connector was defect from the company or 2. The idiot I bought it from (who also works at the store) hooked it up wrong. So instead of offering to help me by sending the "brand new esc/motor" in to traxxas to see if warranty would cover it or even give me a discount a new one, they simply told me to bend over. So later that day I went back in and asked the owner of the store and he simply told me to call traxxas and see if they could help me. I called traxxas and they said any warranty would be void since I changed the plug to deans.

So I guess my question is does anyone think I wold be able to switch the connector back to traxxas style and see if traxxas will warranty it then since the people at the lhs wont stand behind the product.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Thats retarded. I sent a traxxas xl-5 in with the deans plug still on there? They unsoldered it and sent it back to me with the new replacement esc. Just leave a note in there and ship it to them. I didnt even call them first, just sent it in, got an email with a tracking number a couple weeks later.
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman2010 View Post
Thats retarded. I sent a traxxas xl-5 in with the deans plug still on there? They unsoldered it and sent it back to me with the new replacement esc. Just leave a note in there and ship it to them. I didnt even call them first, just sent it in, got an email with a tracking number a couple weeks later.
x2 I've sent them lots of stuff with non traxxas plugs with no issue
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks axman and slobin. How recent did you do this? Maybe it was a policy that was just recently changed. I know when I called Novak about a different esc they just told me to cut the wires at the deans, but thats a different story.

Do I just send it to the texas address listed here or is there a special warranty/repair adress?

http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...n&suchbegriff=
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
..... Last week I went in to buy another pack of rod ends for my new project and also bought a used slash. ...
See the part I made red. Perhaps it's because I'm in the buy/sell business but if something is USED, means its sold as is with no warranty unless stated otherwise. You the buyer, agreed to purchase said USED item. You admitted you didn't test or even properly inspect the car, right? I'd be on the hobby shops side. You can't blame them for your possible poor judgment when making an impulse purchase.

Buyer beware!!
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
See the part I made red. Perhaps it's because I'm in the buy/sell business but if something is USED, means its sold as is with no warranty unless stated otherwise. You the buyer, agreed to purchase said USED item. You admitted you didn't test or even properly inspect the car, right? I'd be on the hobby shops side. You can't blame them for your possible poor judgment when making an impulse purchase.

Buyer beware!!
x2

I don't think that traxxas would deny a warranty over a changed plug, but being a second hand item, in most cases the warranty only applies to the original owner only and doesn't transfer. and how old has it been since the O.P bought the truck? how is traxxas supposed to know? Those are legitimate reason not to warranty an item.

when you ship something for warranty is has to be accompanied by a original receipt of purchase.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post

Buyer beware!!
The truck was used but has nothing to do with the condition of the "brand new out of the box" esc. It doesnt matter what you put a brand new esc in but it should last longer than 4 packs. So either they lied to me and just cleaned up the esc/motor or they should treat it like a brand new esc. Put it this way, as a customer I go there to give them money, period. Even simpler than ecinomics 101. With customer service like this why should I go buy another brand new esc from them when I can simply buy one from the internet from someone who will treat me better?

Other than that, where should I send it in to?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
RCC Addict

So did you buy a new ESC in a used R/C from your LHS? If so, you should have a receipt showing this and I would send the ESC back to Traxxas.

If you bought a used R/C from your LHS that had a used ESC in it then, its on you.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
they treated me like a fawking idiot by asking if the battery was charged...or if the motor was hooked up.
this is because about 80% of the people that come in with problems to an LHS are complete idiots, and they dont know you from Adam; so based on experience, they are pretty much on autopilot to think that it will be some stupid issue like an uncharged battery.
When Jake worked at our LHS, I spent a lot of time in there hanging out, and you would not believe the questions they get...

I would think, since you saw the slash before you bought it, and had the option to look at things instead of taking a description at face value, and to test it: that there's nothing you can do.
If you had gone through the classifieds on here, and the same thing had happened, you would have a lot more people behind you--since lies were all you had to go on before purchasing.
but since you could have looked at those "brand new hubs" and said "wtf, these suck" or you could have tested it in the store... it sounds like a situation of "lesson learned, move on and dont make the same mistake again".
Del Montess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Used.... unless it was made very clear that there was a warrenty at somepoint than it is assumed it is AS-IS.

Pointless rant.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Montess View Post
this is because about 80% of the people that come in with problems to an LHS are complete idiots, and they dont know you from Adam; so based on experience, they are pretty much on autopilot to think that it will be some stupid issue like an uncharged battery.
When Jake worked at our LHS, I spent a lot of time in there hanging out, and you would not believe the questions they get...

I would think, since you saw the slash before you bought it, and had the option to look at things instead of taking a description at face value, and to test it: that there's nothing you can do.
If you had gone through the classifieds on here, and the same thing had happened, you would have a lot more people behind you--since lies were all you had to go on before purchasing.
but since you could have looked at those "brand new hubs" and said "wtf, these suck" or you could have tested it in the store... it sounds like a situation of "lesson learned, move on and dont make the same mistake again".
I understand that people ask dumb questions, but just because you stand behind a desk at hobby shop doesn't mean you know what you are talking about. The shape of this truck is a good example of the shops work. Aside from what I mentioned above the chassis is broke, beads on the wheels were broke, tires had holes in them, all alingment is off, screws in the bumper are missing and the bushings are missing in the bellcrank. He represented the shop with this truck and can't do a little matinance? Another example, the customer in front of me had a nitro buggy that he brought in and told them it was leaking somewhere and he had to run it really lean to make it run at all. The employee, who is also the guy i bought my truck from, looks at it, scratches his head and says yep, your carb is leaking and it turns over funny. He seemed clueless about what was really wrong with the buggy. Why should I buy something from a shop with this kind of customer service?

Anyway back on topic. Yes, I realize I bought a used truck. My problem is not with broken parts since I can actually fix and maintain a truck. My problem with the shop is, if the esc is new like they claim, they should back up the claim. Lesson learned? Yep, not to shop there again. Done.Did.Moving on now.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

All the guys saying it is his fault, would you say the same if you were in the O.P's shoes? Doubt it.

A guy should be able to TRUST his LHS, if my LHS sold me some garbage like this I would cut my losses and throw it back through their fu*king window. And actually, I bought a VXL system from my LHS that was a little bit screwy, and they replaced it with a brand new one. That's god damn customer service, not selling people shit as if it is "brand new". Also, if your LHS doesn't have the brains to maintain RC's they are selling, why the hell are they behind the counter?
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post
All the guys saying it is his fault, would you say the same if you were in the O.P's shoes? Doubt it.

A guy should be able to TRUST his LHS, if my LHS sold me some garbage like this I would cut my losses and throw it back through their fu*king window. And actually, I bought a VXL system from my LHS that was a little bit screwy, and they replaced it with a brand new one. That's god damn customer service, not selling people shit as if it is "brand new". Also, if your LHS doesn't have the brains to maintain RC's they are selling, why the hell are they behind the counter?

But from what I can tell, he bought the RC from an employee of said LHS. If the deal was with the LHS, then just stop shopping there if you feel you have been wronged...easy.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Not to doubt you mt man, but a lot. An happen in 4 runs. It's possible you could have overheated it if it were geared incorrectly or something of that nature. What motor/speedo is in it? Vxl? What kind of battery did you run rough it?
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowkrawl View Post

Thats the best piece of advice on this whole thread

I feel bad for the OP as well.I cant stand the eggheads that work at my LHS.They talk to everyone like they just fell off the turnip cart

Hope it all works out for you one way or the other

Last edited by xv-townboy; 10-20-2010 at 11:47 PM.
xv-townboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
....Another example, the customer in front of me .... Why should I buy something from a shop with this kind of customer service?
So, after watching this, why did you buy the truck?

I guess my expectations are low for most hobby shops (especially the ones in my area).....I go in with the expectation that they wont have what I need, wont know what to do when I tell them it's not for a Traxxas vehicle and tell them that I too can order the part from Tower.

What I would do if this had happened to me is to call the store....ask when the manager would be there....do NOT speak to the kids behind the counter about the issue.....go up to the store with the truck and your receipt and work out a deal with the guy. Tell him that you are not happy and see what he is willing to do to keep your business. If he is not willing to do anything, then dont patronize his store anymore...and tell him you are going to do that.

Last edited by JeremyH; 10-21-2010 at 08:25 AM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
But from what I can tell, he bought the RC from an employee of said LHS. If the deal was with the LHS, then just stop shopping there if you feel you have been wronged...easy.
The employee was the previouse owner and who I bought it from, but the truck was sold through the hobby shop. Stop shopping there? Definately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
Not to doubt you mt man, but a lot. An happen in 4 runs. It's possible you could have overheated it if it were geared incorrectly or something of that nature. What motor/speedo is in it? Vxl? What kind of battery did you run rough it?
Not vxl. I ran a standard 6 cell that was never charged more than 8.5V. If it was geared wrong, they geared it. The connector on the ground between the esc and motor was is what killed the esc. I did not install it or ever toutch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
So, after watching this, why did you buy the truck?...
This was after I bought a truck and came in to see if I missed why it was not working.

So I went in today to get the bushings and screws I had previously ordered and before paying I calmly asked, "why should I spend money at a shop with bad customer service?" He just snapped. Instead of listening to anything I had to say, he just grabbed the package and yelled about how he is a millionare and doesn't need my buisness. I tried to prove my point for a minute then just said "I guess thats your answer, you don't need my money" and walked away. I don't see how people like this have jobs. Well ladies and gents, that's the end of the story.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
He just snapped. Instead of listening to anything I had to say, he just grabbed the package and yelled about how he is a millionare and doesn't need my buisness.
Haha! I've had a similar experience. Went into a shop expecting to spend quite a bit of money.....had the owner yell at me for bringing an RC into the shop....he told me that he was rich and didnt need my money. So I left. I've told EVERYONE I know about that experience. We have three people at my office who are big into RCs and have plenty of bucks to spend....none of them shop there....even though it is only a mile or so from our office.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Similar experience here. I had an LXT (old school Losi racing truck) that I raced quite a bit. I broke a front arm and so I went to the closest HobbyTown to get a replacement. When I asked if they had them in stock the owner lost his mind and started screaming about how all us young punks (I was 18 at the time) ordered all the big ticket crap from mail order but expected him to stay in business selling the nickle and dime shit. I brought the truck with me and the box it came in because that is what I carried to the races. I opened the box, took out the receipt and showed him that I bought the truck from him about a year before. I then placed the arms on the counter, told him to fawk off, and walked out.

I never went back and to my knowledge, the ass-hat died of a massive heart attack not long after.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Glad my LHS aren't that bad. They are still rude, overpriced rogues but never gone off at me. Maybe cause I only go in there when I absolutely need something or forget to put extra dean plugs in my last order, and then have to pay $7 a pair

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote