Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Comp Geeks: What Maintenance Should I Do When I Open My Case?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Comp Geeks: What Maintenance Should I Do When I Open My Case?

I have a few parts coming in (hopefully) by this weekend for my computer, and since I will have it apart, I was wondering if there are any tips and tricks I should do while I am in there? I am thinking that all I am going to do, maintenance wise, is shoot the thing with some compressed air. Are there any areas that may be hidden that I need to pay extra attention to as far as cleaning goes? Outside of cleaning, is there anything else I should do when I crack it open?

Thanks!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #2

if it isnt already done, zip tie all of your wires together and to the sides of your case for more eficient cooling.other than that, i dont know
JoKeR65656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

it dependn how far you want to go you can tug the extra cables in the back or above the power supply, tug the ribbon cables away as much as you can, but if you dont have case fans it is not important. you should dust off the cpu heatsink and the video card throughouly. also if you can, blow through the powersupply. other than that, I wouldnt worry too much.
Frakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

step 1 take a hammer
step 2 decide on point of least resitence
step 3 lunge hammer into pc till desired result
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Install a full set of bearings
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Be sure to ground yourself before you grab any boards or components, so you don't shock them. You can get "grounding straps" which are like wristbands with a leash that you attatch to something grounded, but I have also heard that just touching the metal case first is fine. If there is a lot of dust you want to take care of, you may want to have a vacuum with a hose attatchment handy. It helps to have someone there to work the vacuum and hold the nozzle close, but not touching anything inside the computer. You don't need to actually vacuum the boards or anything - The idea of the vacuum is just to suck up any dust that you knock loose with the compressed air, so it dosen't settle elsewhere inside the case. Just give the connections a once-over, and make sure everything looks good. If it powers up fine, you should be all set.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:11 AM   #7
I joined the Band!

PLEASE you dont need grounding straps 98% of the boards are sealed now.....the ground strap thing is old news....DONT USE A VACUUM it creats static electricity with the particles moving around in the can. The vacuum will induce an electrostatic charge onto the case and whatever else is near it especially if your touching the case it will charge you. the air compressor is an ok Idea as long as you have an inline moisture trap and have purged the compressor through the drain on the bottom of the tank quite a bit to dry it out. just blow you your case and check that screws are snug on your hard drives, the drives can sometimes rattle screws loose (same goes with cd drives)
Keep any kids or buddies back with any liquid beverages and you should be ok.

Make sure you pull the cord out of the back of the case to remove any power to the supply.
Grape Ape !!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I would install some more cooling fans on the case if it is still stock from the factory. I have 7 fans and a water cooling kit in mine i just probaly use my computer all day.
joecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #9
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecrawler
I would install some more cooling fans on the case if it is still stock from the factory. I have 7 fans and a water cooling kit in mine i just probaly use my computer all day.
Way over kill. I bet you have those stupid lights in your case also.

I have stock fans in mine, maybe one extra fan and my Linux PC's NEVER get shut off.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Way over kill. I bet you have those stupid lights in your case also.

I have stock fans in mine, maybe one extra fan and my Linux PC's NEVER get shut off.
No such thing as overkill, my daily user has watercooling, and my gaming/benching machine is going to phase change cooling in the next month or so. Water cooling is nice because set up right, it makes less noise than air cooling while being more stable; temperatures don't fluctuate as much, and ambient temps do not make as big of a difference.
billy gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:33 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

As far as cleaning, I would remove all the fans and clean them off quick with a toothbrush or the like, the fan blades tend to build up dirt and grime that doesn't like to just blast off with an air compressor or can of compressed air. If you just brush them off real quick it helps them out a lot. I have actually seen a few fans die because they became so unbalance with dirt that it blew out the bearings.

Other than that what everyone mentioned looks good. As far as grounding straps, not necessary, but life a little easier knowing that you might save a component using it.
billy gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #12
I joined the Band!

water cooling has its place in gaming.... For day to day its overkill.... I am running 4 fans and an onboard fan to cool my system I have a need to install 1 more exhaust on top but will move another fan from another place to accomodate that
Old 03-16-2006, 11:03 AM   #13

You want to leave the power cord hooked to the power supply, so that it will remain grounded. And static straps are a good thing, static is your enemy...
AkCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkCrash
You want to leave the power cord hooked to the power supply, so that it will remain grounded. And static straps are a good thing, static is your enemy...
Really? Leave the power cord plugged in?

I always unplug it just to be safe. I don't want to be working on a machine and accidentally hit the power button or have something else happen.

I just touch the power supply or keep my hand on it if I can to stay grounded when working.

As for maintenance, like said above...

Blow out the dust, tidy up some wires if you can and make sure they are clear of getting caught in/on anything, Make sure all cards and cables are tightly attached.
cmsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

if you unplug the main power, and there is nothing else to ground the case, you can fry the chips just as easy. just turn the psu off with the switch and leave it plugged in for grounding and just touch it once in a while. besides, 12V is the most you can get zapped with in the pc, so no big deal
Frakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:49 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

Take out the cord and unless your stroking a balloon youll be ok. I NEVER use a ground strap and have never shorted out or fried anything.... like i said the boards today are coated and its not an issue, you shouldnt be touching components anyway you should always handle by the case and or the edges of the board.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:07 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Well, I am a little anal in the regard to grounding, so I am always grounded to it when I open my case. I actually do have one of those wrist straps around here somewhere, but I usually just run a wire from my wedding band to the case. About 1.5 years ago, I was swapping cases in my work comp, and was gentle with everything, and when it got all back together, the mobo was dead. Not sure if it was static or not, but I have grounded myself since. Better safe than sorry.

As far as cooling, it is already water cooled. In fact, a new pump is one of the components I am replacing.

Thanks for the reminder about cleaning up the wiring! I do need to pick up some smaller loom before I go into this.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:26 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

well, i do use my computer for gaming and what is wrong with having the lights in it. Making and keeping my computer up to date is one of the things i pay attention to. i mean what is better than staying up all night playing WARCRAFT or UNREAL TOURNAMENT.
joecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecrawler
i mean what is better than staying up all night playing WARCRAFT or UNREAL TOURNAMENT.

Getting laid, seeing daylight, being sociable come to mind.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I bought warcraft never played. I like Joint ops or lockdown from rainbow6.
RodyRazorBackc5 is offline   Reply With Quote