Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: I want to fly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default I want to fly

Lately I've been interested in learning how to Fly RC (Heli or plane). I've been playing around here and there with Simulators they have set up and different hobby shops. Some people tell me the Sim is not the same as flying while the Hobby shop tells me its the best way to learn. What's your guy's input on this?
TACORICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I learned with a Hobbyzone Supercub. It is a good trainer and easy to fly. After a year I went to an aileron plane and I know I wouldnt have been able to fly it if I hadnt flown the Supercub first.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ7300.html
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have the real flight G5. I was told it is the best way to learn how to fly (by people who fly all the time). Seems to be working out.
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I recently got a HBZ UM Champ, it's awesome, learned to fly pretty well in just one afternoon.
There is a free RC flight sim called FMS, the graphics are OK, but not great, what can you expect for free, anyway I've been using an X-Box controller and it works very well, just like a 4 channel stick transmitter, helped me learn better orientation and stick control.
Here is the link to download the free FMS sim: http://n.ethz.ch/~mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

Here is a link for extra FMS planes: http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htm

You can download more scenery, planes and other stuff.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
I recently got a HBZ UM Champ, it's awesome, learned to fly pretty well in just one afternoon.
There is a free RC flight sim called FMS, the graphics are OK, but not great, what can you expect for free, anyway I've been using an X-Box controller and it works very well, just like a 4 channel stick transmitter, helped me learn better orientation and stick control.
Here is the link to download the free FMS sim: http://n.ethz.ch/~mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

Here is a link for extra FMS planes: http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htm

You can download more scenery, planes and other stuff.
How do you connect the XBOX Controller to the PC? This might be a dumb question but I'm not computer smart I just know how to use them
Old 11-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #6

RC flight sim is the way to start, first it helps you to gain that "muscle memory" effect to immediately correct things. Specially for a Heli. 2nd its so expensive when heli and planes crash so its cheaper to wack them in the sim. You can always get the cheap heli planes but they are not quite the same as the big ones.
TruckBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

What's a good Sim? Phoenix or Realflight? I do like the fact that I can use a DX6i that I plan on buying from a friend for cheap. Pros Cons?
Old 11-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACORICAN View Post
What's a good Sim? Phoenix or Realflight? I do like the fact that I can use a DX6i that I plan on buying from a friend for cheap. Pros Cons?
IMHO

RealFlight:
Pros:
No need to charges TX batts
More model skin
good physics

Cons:
Price
Upgrade needs to pay

Phoenix
You can use your own TX
Free upgrade

Cons:
down time if tx batt dies
depends on modelers for background and scheme

Honestly i have them both, those 2 you can really go wrong and they are within my budget
TruckBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckBasher View Post
IMHO

RealFlight:
Pros:
No need to charges TX batts
More model skin
good physics

Cons:
Price
Upgrade needs to pay

Phoenix
You can use your own TX
Free upgrade

Cons:
down time if tx batt dies
depends on modelers for background and scheme

Honestly i have them both, those 2 you can really go wrong and they are within my budget
X2 about the cons on the real flight. I bought the basic for $100, ended up taking it back & paying another $100 for the G5. It was well worth it though.
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACORICAN View Post
How do you connect the XBOX Controller to the PC? This might be a dumb question but I'm not computer smart I just know how to use them
You have to get a corded type, not the wireless, it has a USB connector.
You can download the driver, X-Box is microsoft technology, so it works perfectly on any windows based PC.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I think the sims are great for teaching you which way to move the controls depending on the relative attitude and direction of the model.

narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Make sure your pc can run g5 first if you go that route.

It will help with the muscle memory, can fly multiple plane/helis to see what you like before you buy one and you can try things on the sim before you try it with a real plane/heli to see if its possible.

Think I had 20-30 hours on a sim before I flew my first plane...definetly helped on the first flight. Suggest for your first flight you pick a day with little to no wind also.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Get a Sim, and a Parkzone ultra micro.

the micros are very durable and easy to fix.

use the sim and the little bird together until you can fly w/ crashing.

then get a bigger bird.!
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failedabortion View Post
Make sure your pc can run g5 first if you go that route.
And the best way to determine this is to download the trial version available on-line. If it works OK, then the retail version should also work fine.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #15

I'd have to agree on the parkzone micro stuff. Real easy to learn that way for planes. I have G3 then upgraded to G4, and it has really helped my Heli flights.

If you crash on the Sim you hit a button and try again. It's all too easy to do this. So After I got a little better, my idea was to fly and if I crashed, I wasn't allowed to fly again unitl the next day. That made it a little more realistic.

Helicopters; for me it was a requirement to fly on the sim, no way I would have figured it out crashing the real thing, way too much collateral damage.
I would've ended up broke then divorced.

I definately agree with the download the trial version. You can turn on or off lot's of options to help the computer keep up, but if you have to turn off everything, it definately takes away from the realism.
j10on4ds is offline   Reply With Quote