Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: The Crawliseum wasn't built in a day...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #121
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verted View Post
I would like to see pics or vids of this scaler course you might want to start your own thread.
i have a build thread of my course on byt.
all_scaled_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

Thats the most impressive indoor course I have ever seen indeed, I have an outdoor course me and a buddy built with over 60 hrs if not more, its as thrilling as driving on it after, ill post pics this weekend if the snow stays away.
EEM-CrawlinMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #123
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_scaled_out View Post
awesome work on on the course. i wish i couldve done mine under a roof. the course i built is primarily for scalers though and takes up around 8k sq ft in my backyard. was looking around to get ideas for my rope bridge that i just started building and yours is pretty sweet, but im using small logs for a more outdoorsy scale approach. making a turn in the bridge is a PITA.

i really like how your concrete rocks turned out too with all the tunnels and stuff. i have a concrete "mountain" i made but its only half-way finished and doesnt look half as good as yours. i think the second half will turn out much better. after seeing yours it gave me some ideas to help me improve mine.

was also reading along an saw that you had said something about building the course is an obsession. i can completely agree with that. ive been building mine for about 5 months now and im always outside planning, constructing and working on my course. its almost a full time job you dont get paid for lol. then again im the only person building my course, some extra manpower would be nice at times.
i added a waterfall and river on my course that runs into a small pond. im thnking about adding a second waterfall that i can crawl on but thats not for a long while. too many projects going on at once and its never ending

Thanks.
Using sticks will def look better than the 1X3 lumber. We were in a hurry, building with sticks would have tripled build time. They just dont cover as much ground/(air), but do look alot better. As far as turns, try to use curved sticks to make the camber work for ya. Are you gonna use rope or long sticks for the main support?
Thanks again on the cement rocks. Use concrete if possible for more traction, and have some steep parts but make sure to have plenty of moderate slopes for off camber practice. Next time I'll leave a good size depression up high to hold some "rainwater" too.
Building a waterfall has been taunting me from the beginning, I've got a barely used corner that is callin'....
I def want to see your pics for some insight into what I'll be trying to figure out. Never ending? Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEG View Post
Freakin awesome! This is something that is much needed in my neck of the woods also. We have like non stop rain for the past 3 weeks. MEH! Seattle go figure! Very nice work Mike! Wish ya were a little closer.

JEG

Thanks! My wife would love to live in Wa., she thinks. Maybe we should come out for a month and help you build a course! See how she feels after that.
Thanks again. Head east for sometime.
MikeBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #124
Quarry Creeper

@MIKEBIKE

i know what ya mean bout sticks taking longer. im using some bailing wire..lots of time twisting an wrapping each an every stick. im gonna use the wire to hold it up in some places and gonna use some 4x4 posts to hold it in the other places.
i used quickcrete in some places and mortar in others. i have a 20ft table top that has two levels and has 2 kinda steep inclines. and the other side is a hill climb and theres a part in the middle that goes to the log bridge. i will definiely use your advice.
i built my waterfall three times and the third time i made it out of mortar and large river rocks. ive been thinking about making a second waterfall that can be used for crawling on. the one i built is mainly for decoration since its visible from the house. my course thread on byt has tons of pics from beginning to present. i might try to make a timelapsed thread on this site.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #125
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
That is simply awesome! I'm gonna have to plan me a trip to the Crawliseum

Thanks! Make plans and come try it out. Your tickets will be at the "will call' window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEM-CrawlinMachine View Post
Thats the most impressive indoor course I have ever seen indeed, I have an outdoor course me and a buddy built with over 60 hrs if not more, its as thrilling as driving on it after, ill post pics this weekend if the snow stays away.

Wow, Thanks!
Building a course is def more fun than I'd expected. I'd quess there's about 90 man hours in mine so far. Plus countless hours thinkin' about how to do the next part.

Last edited by MikeBike; 01-20-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBike View Post
Back in October a LHS owner mentioned that he had a crawler course for sale. What he had was 4-4x8 bedliner coated styrofoam sheets propped against a 4x4 table. The price was right, it was portable and ready made.

Shortly after the initial setup we started making mods. We chunked the wobbly pvc pipe table that had a small winch for raising and lower the entire contraption. It was doomed from day 1. Then we hung 3 of the sides.
When we started this project the plan was to setup a small practice spot for more son and I to get in a little drive time without driving anywhere, so it was well worth the $$.
Like any good project though this thng has taken on a life of its own, The Crawliseum.

The last 2 are pics from this week, construction continues. I'll be posting pics from the entire process.
Nice man...
Rocklife89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #127

that place looks amazing nice job man!
zim35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #128
Quarry Creeper

Amazing... that looks like hours of fun right there
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #129
Quarry Creeper

i have never seen a better made inside rock crawling area than here...

This is amazing work man!
VintageCopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #130
Rock Stacker

I like the dead stadium truck in the pics
paintz2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #131

Thats cool how you have some bruder construction Equipment to clean up.
RCTech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #132
Rock Stacker

Rocklife89, Thanks.

Zim35, Thanks, I'm still amazed when I look at it too.

Rockeater, It has been many hours of fun already, Thanks.

VintageCopal, Thank you for the strong compliment.

paintz2007,

RCTech9, Thanks. The crew seemed like a natural for the maintence demands. After seeing some of the threads on Scale4x4rc.org, I think they need to be earnin' their keep a little better though.
We're building a scale trail on the Crawliseum grounds, here's a piece of equipment we added for this project.

Last edited by MikeBike; 01-24-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #133
Quarry Creeper

sweet. you beat me to the punch. i want to get rc construction equipment and make a little construction site just for kicks. thats awesome you are adding a scale trail.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #134
Quarry Creeper

As seen on Swamp Loggers!
clayton78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #135
Rock Crawler

Quote:
sweet. you beat me to the punch. i want to get rc construction equipment and make a little construction site just for kicks. thats awesome you are adding a scale trail.
Buy some Tonkas and swap in drive axels and electronics.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #136

That place is sick!!!
groundhog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #137
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMGREG View Post
i would do that but i want them functional. i want the decent rc ones. found a site that sells them for a decent price and look good too
Old 02-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #138
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yea a scale construction area would be sweeet. You've got a good spot for one, with all that sand! Not sure if you've seen the costruction/ag threads...http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55040
The Scale Trail at the Crawliseum is coming along, watch for a new thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton78 View Post
As seen on Swamp Loggers!
'Zactly what I was thinkin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMGREG View Post
Wish I had the patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog69 View Post
That place is sick!!!
Thanks!!

Quote:
i would do that but i want them functional. i want the decent rc ones. found a site that sells them for a decent price and look good too
Linky???
Old 02-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #139
Rock Stacker

Exclamation Feb. 5th Practice

We'll be practicing tomorrow, Saturday Feb 5th., here at the Crawliseum. Everyone is welcome to come check it out.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #140
Quarry Creeper

heres the construction trucks. they have a few others
http://www.trendtimes.com/remote-control-bulldozer.html
http://www.trendtimes.com/remote-con...ump-truck.html
http://www.trendtimes.com/remote-control-excavator.html

im going to scan thru scale4x4 now