Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: stick on wheel weights illegal in californis ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default stick on wheel weights illegal in californis ?

so whats the deal with getting stick on lead wheel weights in California. i have gone to all the local tire shops and most claim they no longer have stick on lead and others say they can not legally give me them. so i go to kragen/oreilly's website and find them. at the bottom of each part it states not legal for sale in California
rcjunky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Jer
Rock Crawler

probably affraid they'll come off and kill trees I work in a shop, and I can tell you that if the wheel is cleaned properly, the stick on weights are FAR less likely to come off than the pound-ons.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

To many stupid laws is one of the reasons I left California.

Have an out of state friend order some, then mail them to ya.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

luckily i am going to texas in a few weeks for work i just was kind of surprised what i have gone through the last 4-5 days trying to get these
rcjunky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i think rpphobby.com sells them
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hende View Post
i think rpphobby.com sells them
still doubt he could buy them, he shouldnt be able to because he is still in CA

god, just another reason to hate California!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I ran into this problem over a year ago here in Idaho. They switched to steel weights instead, they suck. I bought a crap load of lead's off ebay after that though.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky3 View Post
luckily i am going to texas in a few weeks for work i just was kind of surprised what i have gone through the last 4-5 days trying to get these
My local tire shop (Discount Tire) now tells me that they cant sell them to me....even after I promised not to lick them.

The mom and pop shop just down the road had no troubles giving (free of charge) them to me....especially when I showed them what they were going on!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Hell's Gnome

Advance Auto Parts, at least here in PA, sells them. Have to buy a box of them, but they have them. I work there.
LumTheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Probably because EVERYTHING that has ever been made says the following:

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I did pick some up at Car Quest a few years back, about $50 for a 5 pound box IIRC. Only other place I could find them at was Napa, who wanted $80 for an even larger box. Wheel weight lead isn't bad though, you should try and get a can of spray paint shipped from one person to another across state lines
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Good thing they are illegal here, I just get my dad to get me some from his work every so often.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

The California State Legislature, concerned with lead contamination in California, enacted a new law to reduce lead in wheel weights. Starting Jan. 1, 2010, California law prohibits the manufacture, sale, or installation of wheel weights that contain more than 0.1 percent lead.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that 1.6 million pounds of lead is abandoned on U.S. roadways from weights that have fallen off wheels. Lead from wheel weights is a potential contributor of lead in the environment. Lead wheel weights can be washed into storm drains that connect to creeks, rivers, and ultimately the ocean. Lead dissolves in water and contaminates and endangers the aquatic food web. Lead wheel weights also can be abraded from traffic, creating lead dust and contaminating the air.

Lead presents a health hazard because lead is highly toxic; can contaminate drinking water; and is linked to neurological problems in children, including reduced intelligence and behavior problems. Lead also poses a danger to the environment because it can inhibitit growth processes in plants and marine algae and can alter blood chemistry in fish, amphibians, and birds (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Contaminant Hazard Review Report No. 14). The EPA has targeted lead to be eliminated or reduced in product manufacturing by modifying production processes.
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky3 View Post
so whats the deal with getting stick on lead wheel weights in California. i have gone to all the local tire shops and most claim they no longer have stick on lead and others say they can not legally give me them. so i go to kragen/oreilly's website and find them. at the bottom of each part it states not legal for sale in California
Yep. When I wanted stick on weights, I went to one of my tire shops and all they had was steel weights for like $8 a strip. I guess california is trying to ban lead....
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

$8! dude if you live in Northern california and need weights hit me up. Steel weights that is. I re-use old lead weights i take off wheels.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
The California State Legislature, concerned with lead contamination in California, enacted a new law to reduce lead in wheel weights. Starting Jan. 1, 2010, California law prohibits the manufacture, sale, or installation of wheel weights that contain more than 0.1 percent lead.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that 1.6 million pounds of lead is abandoned on U.S. roadways from weights that have fallen off wheels. Lead from wheel weights is a potential contributor of lead in the environment. Lead wheel weights can be washed into storm drains that connect to creeks, rivers, and ultimately the ocean. Lead dissolves in water and contaminates and endangers the aquatic food web. Lead wheel weights also can be abraded from traffic, creating lead dust and contaminating the air.

Lead presents a health hazard because lead is highly toxic; can contaminate drinking water; and is linked to neurological problems in children, including reduced intelligence and behavior problems. Lead also poses a danger to the environment because it can inhibitit growth processes in plants and marine algae and can alter blood chemistry in fish, amphibians, and birds (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Contaminant Hazard Review Report No. 14). The EPA has targeted lead to be eliminated or reduced in product manufacturing by modifying production processes.
Ha did you copy that from Les Schwabs Page?
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

no. some CA.gov page
Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

this to be exact.
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/PollutionPrev...eelweights.cfm
Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
$8! dude if you live in Northern california and need weights hit me up. Steel weights that is. I re-use old lead weights i take off wheels.
Cool that's good to know. I thought it was quiet rediculous as well. I was planning on getting four, but after I found out the price I just got two.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

If they are illegal two of the bigger LHS here in San Diego don't know about it, you can buy those suckers by the case!!!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote