Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: pre runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default pre runner

k, i know this is a rc crawling site, but has anyone thought of making a pre runner? those things are cool, and getting a 4 runner like twisted creations, and make it into one would look cool...im not saying that i would build one, maby in the future........if u made a pre runner post some pics
foodstamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

SEARCH!!!!!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29265 the 2nd chassie

Thomas
2fknqwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

wow, the newb showing up the not so newb.
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

hahahah thats calssic
customxprone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

well if he would look around i wouldnt have to do that

Thomas

p.s i have been here for some time just need to post some more
2fknqwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

wow, i got served, but thats not a pre runner.......i think..............this is

Old 04-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
K_B
I wanna be Dave

those are actually photos of me driving to work this morning...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
Sinking with the ship

HULK WERKS pre runner/crawler

1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodstamp
wow, i got served, but thats not a pre runner.......i think..............this is

Nope those are SCORE Trophy Trucks. They are the F1 of Off Road racing. I have seen and ridden in "PreRunners"( Terrible Herpst's Chase Truck) that were super trick! But they were not Trophy Trucks.

Dez
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fknqwk
If your going to bash someone, at least spell chassis correct.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:14 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

im thinkin of a stampede trans, tlt axils, novack brushless system, and a old bruser bodie.......thats my plan.......it wont happen, but..............so those trucks are SCORE Trophy Trucks................what is a prerunner?

i alwase called them a prerunner.............im not saying ur wrong, i believe u, i just want to learn the difference.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58161

got it in toyota to but im a F.rist O.n R.ace D.ay fan
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

The Trophy trucks are the actual fully tube-framed trucks that run in the races. Technically, a "prerunner" is anything that runs the race course ahead of time in order to get an overall "feel" for the course and allow them to properly tune shock valving etc. on the real race trucks. A prerunner can be anything from a totally stock vehicle to a full blown trophy truck that doesn't race. Most people that think they drive "prerunners" have nothing more than a Ford Ranger with a lift kit and fiberglass front fenders/pulled bedsides. The "real" prerunners (in my opinion) are trucks running true long travel (i.e. long travel coliover suspension in front, 4-link or long travel leafs in the rear). Also, most of the high-end prerunners begin as street trucks and receive the full long travel treatment, whereas modern trophy trucks such as those pictured above are full race trucks from the get-go. Here is an example of VERY high-end prerunner, costing over $300k: http://www.geiserbros.com/jason_baldwin1.htm
ctcballer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

ctcballer26 vbmenu_register("postmenu_292641", true); , you seem to know what your talking about. but the "prerunner" definition you gave isnt complete. in the mdr series,(mojave desert racing) they have a class for daily driven street legal prerunner type trucks, called class 1450. there are 2 types of trucks that race in that class, the pro class and sportsman class. i plan on racing in the sportsman class next year for some races, but only for fun. im really saving for some new +10 wider per side = lenth beams for my truck, http://giantmotorsports.com/products...engthbeams.php

after i get these, i will cut the fraimrails right behind the cab, and tube it up. right now, my truck is pulling around 16" front, and 14" rear. when i get my beams and link the back, i will be pulling around 22" front and 30" rear.

sorry, but i didnt mean to hijack...

KEvIN
OORRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Mr. Longtravel - It all depends in how you look at it. Technically, if you were using "prerunner" by the definition of the term, 1450 trucks would only fall into that category if they were being used to test run the course before another race vehicle of some sort. By the rules, 1450 trucks are only required to have slamming steel doors (unless they're continously winning by a huge margin, then they get bumped up to the 1400 class, which is the pro class you referred to). Also, not to argue, but 1450 trucks don't have to be daily driven vehicles or even close. If you look at many of the trucks such as Matt Torian's, Matt Helton's, Dan Vance's, or many others', you will see that there is no way on earth those trucks would be on the street without modification (They have no windshield's, required lights, etc.). Also, those Giant equal length kits aren't bad. They're great if you're not looking to dump a ridiculous amount of money on your suspension, especially with the DIY trailing arms. Are you going to do all the fab work yourself (engine cage, roll cage, rear tube frame, etc.)?
Old 04-22-2006, 04:08 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

well, the 1450 rules are right here.... http://home.earthlink.net/~moresevens/id8.html just amke sure to read the second set of rules, there more updated. yes,, your right about the prerunner defeintion. but thats what it all started out as.. old race trucks and buggies that were reitred or outdated used to map out the couse and find alternative lines through the course for a faster time. now the trem has mostly addapted to trucks with long travel suspension that are, for the most part, street legal. most trucks only need a windshield and lights like you said, along with a factory gas tank to be legal. but even trphy trucks can be made legal for the street. cocky head (r. gordon) new hummer, (the h-3 built for dakar) is street legal. in the new issue of sand sports, it has an article on it, and it says so there.

yah, i plan on doing the work myself. i have the majority of it all designed on the computer here. i have autocad 2006. <<
the main reason why im doing it myself is in 2010, (the year) i plan on starting my own fab shop for prerunners. i want to build my truck as practice, and to perfect my skills. i have many of ideas in my head, and im not telling anyone. we will be trying a setup on my ranger soon. using stock leafs, we'll be pulling about the same as the front hopefuly. if i works, i might start to market it. but i need to make my custom shackles... well see. do you have a prerunner??

KEvIN
Old 04-22-2006, 04:17 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Well I suppose we've pretty much laid out for everybody what a prerunner is. Robby Gordon's H3 is awesome! Believe it or not it actually began as a class 1 frame, but I'm pretty sure this month's issue of DirtSports already mentioned that. You ought to see that thing in person! It handles like a freakin' CORR truck. I don't know if you were at the BITD race a few months ago but that H3 won the trophy class and, as you said, he drove it out of there. Only in Arizona would something like that be registered as street legal! Anyway, nope, I don't own my own prerunner at this time, but I used to work at Link Motorsports where some of the coolest ones around are fabricated. I don't know if you've seen Matt's Tacoma, but it is fully tube framed with center mounted A arms, a pulled back Tundra V8, and the works. As for now, my 1:1 vehicles lean more toward trail riding/rock crawling (the Dodge does have a nifty 4-link setup up front and Deavers in the rear however). But anyway, I'm just a fellow avid desert racing fan. Are you going to be attending the CORR race next month?
Old 04-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

yah that truck is bad... but he's a dick. my friends used to work for him. he was the acount manager or something like that. i mostly go to the local mdr races out in barstow. im only 16, and just got my permit yesterday, so im kinda limited on where i can go. wheres the race at?? and when??? i think were going to test my truck agian this weeken, so im not going to be able to go??? where do you live?

KEvIN
Old 04-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Oh that's cool I've never been to an MDR race. I *almost* went to a night race last season but decided to pass at the last moment. The CORR race will occur in Chula Vista, CA, which is located near San Diego. Further information regarding the race can be found at http://www.corracing.com. The race is actually May 20th through the 21st. I am not sure how much tickets are, but they should be available soon on the website. I live in Redondo Beach, CA. I mostly attend the CORR and SCORE races, however I sometimes go to the smaller events if I know that they will be somewhat spectator-friendly, such as when they had the ROR races or the Baja Cup Challenge at Glen Helen Raceway. Anyway, we've probably spammed this poor guy's thread enough, so if you'd like to chat furtherm feel free to PM me.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

ok............lets start over, has anyone made a trophy truck?