Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gonna ask the LHS for a job. What to look out for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Gonna ask the LHS for a job. What to look out for?

I plan on asking the LHS for a summer job. A couple days a week, since my other summer job is only a couple days a week. I figure I can be the clerk, or stock things, or help people find stuff. Its a pretty small store run by a Older man. His sister helps him sometimes though, but I was just wondering what to look out for or If I even should Because if he says No, I would find it a little awkward to go back in there. What should I be looking out for? What to say what not to say?
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #2

I would suggest stopping by the shop, introducing yourself, and mention that you have a few days a week to fill in while you're not working at your other job. Being this is a small shop they may not have a lot of extra money to hire help BUT they may need someone to fill in if they have to run errands, go to a doctor's appointment, or what ever. You may want to have your name, address, and telephone number printed on a piece of paper and ask the owner if you may leave it with him "just in case you need some extra help". I'll bet the owner will take your information even if he tells you he doesn't have a job available right now.

Stop back every few days to keep your face in his memory. Look around the store, maybe order/buy something or just tell the owner you stopped by to say hello. Just because someone doesn't need help doesn't mean he doesn't like you. It just means he doesn't have a job right now. It's not rejection it's just part of the real world business environment.

There are also a few things you may want to consider. Be neat, clean, friendly, smile, show an interest in HIS business, and above all, be yourself. You appear to be energetic, willing to listen and grow, and willing to work all which are big pluses. You should do well in life.

Good luck and keep posting to let us know how you're doing with the job.
deserthobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_crawler View Post
I plan on asking the LHS for a summer job. A couple days a week, since my other summer job is only a couple days a week. I figure I can be the clerk, or stock things, or help people find stuff. Its a pretty small store run by a Older man. His sister helps him sometimes though, but I was just wondering what to look out for or If I even should Because if he says No, I would find it a little awkward to go back in there. What should I be looking out for? What to say what not to say?
If he were to say "no" and you didn't go back in the shop, that shows that you may not be mature enough yet. A small shop often times doesn't have the budget for an extra employee and they may not have insurance to cover somebody so young working for them. There are many more reasons why they might say no. Don't take it personally. Try to build a good relationship with the owner and prove yourself to him. Even if you never end up working there, some of the older hobby shop owners have a tremendous amount of knowledge, cool stories, and know how that will help you out in the long run.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote