Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: truck start questiof to throw out there...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default truck start questiof to throw out there...

so what do you guys think, my truck won't start unless the battery is hooked to the battery charger, and when it does start, it dies imediately if you let off the gas!! does anyone else think this is due to a completely dead battery? or even a battery with a dead cell in it? all the lights and accesories still work on the inside, it just doesn't want to turnover without being hooked to the charger, and even when it does, it needs to be given constant gas...
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Starter Coil maybe? Throwin it out there.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Its your alternator.... the reason i think its the alternator is because the alternator should be able to run your truck with no battery at all. When your foot is on the gas its making the alternator turn faster and thats why its runs. The battery probably has a bad cell from being ran so low. The only way to check the battery is to use a battery checker or take it to a Autozone/checkers etc and have it checked. Hope this help

Dez
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

first off what kind of truck is it?
saying i got a truck is like me saying i got an rc

anyways
check all the simple things first. connections
also yes get your battery checked
do you have a volt meter?
if you do hook it up to your battery before you start it have some one turn off the charger after it is started and read the voltage, if it is more that whe you shut it off then your alt is good
could be your coil, not enough voltage to make a good spark when its at idle, but more volts when it has some rpms

also some vehicles need to learn the idle again if the battery is completlt dead. so, if your battery has less then 12.6-12.0 volt before you put a charger on it, try another battery if you got one laying around

hope this helped
canadianlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Agree with Dez. Its definitely your alternator.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnRockCrawler View Post
Agree with Dez. Its definitely your alternator.
x2 alternator and maybe the battery
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
Its your alternator.... the reason i think its the alternator is because the alternator should be able to run your truck with no battery at all.
Bingo.

Take it up to VatoZone and have them check it out....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Everybody is quick to say the alternator. as it could very well be, but I had the same problem with my car. I fist bought a new battery, and it worked for 2 days, then died. jumped it, worked another day and died, had my old battery tested, it was junk only pushing 8v (alternators kick in after battery drops to 9v, then kicks in and charges it)

well come to find out, i bought a junk battery replaced it, had my alternator checked and it was dead. My battery would keep just enough charge to start my car, but then the alternator would be running the car, thus burning up my alternator, If i would of changed or had my battery check long ago i could of avoided buying a $160 alternator.

get your battery checked, and alternator, like jermeyH said, take it to auto zone/ advanced / car quest what ever store you have near you and get them BOTH checked.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

The alternator is not designed to run your truck...that is the battery's job. Do NOT disconnect the battery cables while the vehicle is running! The alternator can run wild (30+ volts) since there is no battery to tell it what to do. I have seen so many fried computers, modules, ignition components, basically anything that is designed to run on 12-16 volts DC by troubleshooting with this method.

canadianlimited has you on the right track. Do your testing with a volt meter and go from there.
MNROKCRAWLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

How green is the cables? A shot cable will keep it from running. Also modern cars wont run with a dead battery. Year make model, last tune up will help.

Last edited by thatguy; 04-18-2011 at 05:41 PM.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

X2 everyone is quick to say alternator..
well i build alternators and starters, and the problem depends on what kind of vehicle it is.

The Alternator IS designed to run the vehicle and keep the battery charged. the battery is for powering all the Accessories

some vehicles after 94 will run with a bad battery, some will not.
some alternator regulators will not energize if a battery has discharged to far or has a bad cell.
secondly, Alternators and generators charge Amperage not voltage.
without amperage, voltage won't take you anywhere.
it takes between 8 to 10 volts to energize most regulators.

hook up a multimeter to the battery and try cranking it, see what the voltage on the battery drops to. anything below 8.50V cranking and you need to
hook a charger up on a 2amp charge for about 4hrs, then take your battery and have it checked if you don't have a charger take it to Autozone and request them put it on charge for you.. but if i were to make an educated Guess, i would say Bad Battery.

and yes a LOT of vehicles will run without the battery. i can start my truck take out the battery and drive to Florida if i wanted to.. thats what the voltage regulator is for. Newer Vehicles depend on battery voltage to help regulator do its job, thats why we all need to know what kind of vehicle he has before he spends a Lot of money listening to us guess.

if you want more info check this out. http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/function.html
http://www.cartechautoparts.com/alternator-regulator/

Last edited by Twisted Nuts; 04-18-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

well have you found the problem yet
for my last 10 years as an auto tech im thinking you have maybe a couple of problems as i listed above
canadianlimited is offline   Reply With Quote