Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Your help/input is needed please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
Debunking old stereotypes

Default Your help/input is needed please

As some of you know, I recently retired (yesterday). :-P
To fill some of my free time I've decided to open an on-line RC hobby shop.
To keep overhead low and prices as low as possible, I plan on stocking a small inventory of the most used rock crawling items, (for fast shipping) with the ability to order and have most parts within a week.

I retired on a comfortable income, so I don't plan on making a living on selling RC crawling parts. I enjoy RC's and RC crawling and This is more to fill some of my free time.

This is where I would like your input.
I'm meeting next week with a friend who's been in the hobby wholesale businesses for over 35 years, ( you should see his RC collection) I'm working on getting a website up and running and he wants a list of the most used and wanted crawler parts that I think I will be ordering. I've made a list but may have missed some stuff and some of you may have different preferences.
Please list what you like to use, or would like to see. And I'll get the best prices possible from him, and pass them on to you.

Watch for the Freetimerchobbys.com website coming soon for the parts you've listed.
For now check the vendors market for Freetimecrawler's ads.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 04-22-2006 at 12:29 AM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Are you looking for specific vehicles or just general parts for crawling? Example motors, esc's, batteries and general chassis and link building materials.
polyophio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyophio
Are you looking for specific vehicles or just general parts for crawling? Example motors, esc's, batteries and general chassis and link building materials.
General parts for crawling . And any suggestions you may have.
It doesn't have to be limited to crawling only, I can get RC10's, tlt kits, Nitro's, Planes, Heli's etc etc. But since crawling is my favorite, I plan on specializing more in that.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 04-22-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:51 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Well, just off the top of my head, there is:

TLT Kits - If you could beat the $80 sale price at Ultimate, you would sell them like hot-cakes

Clod Kits - Maybe you could part out the axles, bodies, and etc. seperately?

Stampede Trannies - in "kit" form, or you could pre-build them

Lathe Motors always seem to be in demand

Perhaps you could strike up a deal with some of the vendors here and sell some chassis

Or, if you want to do some fab-work to help keep you busy, you could sell pre-made and custom links, or maybe develop your own chassis
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Well, just off the top of my head, there is:

TLT Kits - If you could beat the $80 sale price at Ultimate, you would sell them like hot-cakes

Clod Kits - Maybe you could part out the axles, bodies, and etc. seperately?

Stampede Trannies - in "kit" form, or you could pre-build them

Lathe Motors always seem to be in demand

Perhaps you could strike up a deal with some of the vendors here and sell some chassis

Or, if you want to do some fab-work to help keep you busy, you could sell pre-made and custom links, or maybe develop your own chassis

I did get Two dozen 55t Integy lathes in today. They are listed in the vendors Market if interested.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 04-22-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

maybe instead of the whole truck kit you could carry just the axles used as crawlers generally look just for those.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I know you said you retired comfortably but if you want to make any "real" money IMO you're gonna want to carry more than just crawling stuff. I just don't think the market's quite that big yet. If you just want to try and pass on some good deals to the rest of us than go for it.

My advice would be to try and carry not only general parts but also multiple brand specific parts. The problem with "most" companies out there right now is that they cater to mainly one brand of crawler, if you could carry parts for multiple brands (Clod, TLT, TXT, Maxx) I think you'd have a real advantage over other companies by having more to offer.

If there's anyway at all to get just axles (more than just Clod) and trannies without having to buy "kits" I think you could make a killing there. I would then fab up (if you have the skills/tools) some simple parts that could be used with those axles such as servo mounts and link/shock mounts. Making reasonably priced links in many different sizes for general use would be good. Then you've got all of the "order" stuff- lathes, spur gears, pinions, spools/lockers, wheels/tires, bodies, ESC's, servo's, axles parts (bearings/knuckles), etc. Main goal would be to offer a variety of crawling specific parts that don't cater to a specific brand/model.

Good luck and I look forward to checking out your site!

Last edited by RANOVRU; 04-22-2006 at 09:47 AM.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

can you get traxxas stampede in a kit form? i miss my old truck and want to build another.
blazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I want to add in that if you were to become a Kyosho parts dealer you would have the corner of the market. There is no place I have called or looked up that carries Mad Force or Twin Force parts. It would be cool if you carried some simple items like Hub carriers, Diff locker (Vertigo), axle mounted steering kits and what ever else for the Mad and Twin Force trucks. I know there are more than a few folks here and around the RC Crawler world that love the Twin Force and Mad Force axles for crawling but the parts are hard to get because of there are no Hobby shops that carry the parts any more.

Just a thought.
You can become a dealer at Kyoshoamerica.com

Oh yea, I second carrying the TLT kits and things like that. If you could compete with Ultimate Hobbies prices on the TLT kits that would be awesome for us Crawler folks that buy TLT kits all the time. I could be persuaded to by my TLT's from you if you had better prices.

I have bought 5 kits in the past 10 months and plan on buying another shortly. I buy them for myself and friends that I build for.

I can't wait till you open.
jwrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Also stock up on some bodies too- bronco, jeeps, rock pleazers that whole chestnut.

Since you have so much freetime on your hands now maybe you should think of coming up with a chassis to get your shops name out there. And dont forget the moabs

have fun designing the website
joecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Good luck! I'll be looking for the site!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Tlt axles, servos, tires, bead locks, pede trannies, lathe motors....
Spdsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdsk8er
Tlt axles, servos, tires, bead locks, pede trannies, lathe motors....
....batteries, chargers, bodies (hard and lexan), SHOCKS, links, driveshafts, dogbones, links ends....

KEvIN
OORRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:42 PM   #14

I have Hitec 645's and 55t's in stock now, listed in Vendors Market. More will come soon.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:08 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

A gear/pit bag to suit our crawlers would be an awesome inclusion. I would certianly be intrested in one if you found it ..

Scott
Fozzy Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:21 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Jato shafts
Revo shafts
Stainless Steel screws
LRP AI runner ESC
4" Shocks
Hpi rims
Rustler Rims
Carbon fiber Sheet
Carbon fiber Tube
Bearing Kits
Medium density polyethylene (Cutting Board)
Reusable zip ties
Velcro straps
1/8 scale bodies or larger

Just some ideas I have had. I use these things all the time others might too.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:37 AM   #17

well i think everybody has pretty much touched on all the parts and accessories that would be nice to get straight through a forum vendor. one thing i would like to see is some package deals on parts alone,,, such as axles with like servo mounting plates included, or BTA allready installed. at a decent price. i would like to see the lexan bodies also. wish you could find a ,,,2nd 3rd or 4th gen. toyota 1:8 body. i have been searching with no luck at all. can't wait to see the web site when you get it up an running. good luck with everything.
taco crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:14 PM   #18
K_B
I wanna be Dave

If you need some help with your site, let me know. It would be nice to ad a hobby shop to my portfolio. I'm not looking for money, I need to boost my portfolio and the best way to do that is to give away free work. I did a few things for johnrobholmes.

If you need help finding a webhost, registering a domain or designing your site, feel free to drop me a PM. Like I said, I'm not looking for money, just a resume booster.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:21 PM   #19
I joined the Band!

HPI z819 3x6x3.0mm
hpi z817 3x6x2.0 both of these are spacers

OFNA10977 cone washer 3mm
Ofna Blue 3mm Concave Washer 3mm 10343 or 10975

associated 3848 Long/Short Special Ball Ends Black
Grape Ape !!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:20 AM   #20
RCC Addict

sounds like everyone has covered the crawler needs, if you want anymore suggestions, i would suggest tamiya and/or x-ray touring car parts/hop-ups! i love my tamiya TC's, but finding parts for them stateside can be a bit of a pain somtimes, the same also goes with
x-ray stuff, too....
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote