Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: ACT F'd up times

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #21
Got Worms?

[QUOTE=binaryterror;3060459]

Not true its clear you are stressed about the conditions of the test. You are stressing over the time issue which if you let it get to you will greatly affect the outcome of the test. Relax, do some reading exercises to learn to quickly read and process info.

[QUOTE]

I'm not stressed...i was chatting with a friend last night (he is stressed), and i figured i'd see what everyone thoughts was on the ACT. Honestly i could care less about my score this year, well i do care but not enough to stress over it. Because i can always take it again next year...actually take it a few times next year before i have to send in applications. If i was stressed right now i'd probably be doing all the act prep stuff we were given for stuff to do at home. I haven't done any of it

Now if i don't get the score i want, probably a few weeks before the next ACT i'll be going through a practice test once a day till i get to the point i am finishing the test with accuracy at or under the alloted time.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like your head is in the right place; I'm about to start working on my graduate degree now, but I do remember a little bit about the ACT.

I think the most important things are just testing as soon as you can, and keeping your eyes on the prize. If you can knock down the score you need / want before you start your Senior year life will be so much more enjoyable . Also remember the more work you put in now, the less work you'll have to worry about later. The ACT is in IMO the most important factor in applying for scholarships, and can be the difference between a full ride with a stipend and working your way through college, taking loans or having your parents pay for it.

Also, don't report your scores to schools. Take the test a few times untill you're confident you've done your best, and then you can choose to report your best scores and best overall to the schools of your choice. It costs more, but if you bomb a section it can be totally worth it (assuming they still let you do that).

I would also recomend you pick up the prep-guide from the actual ACT people. The test is not so much about it's content (although it does test general knowledge) as it is your basic reasoning and analysis skills. My High School didn't offer any sort of prep-course so I had to do it all on my own, and I spent a lot of time just working, and re-working that book. I think if you develop a strategy that you stick with, and hit the test as hard as you can you should have no problems with time. This practice will help you with time mangement and keeping a cool / level head come test day, while also giving you a hint of what to expect in a lot of your college classes.

Also be certain to plan well in advance how you plan to get to the test site (plan for traffic, lack of parking ect.) and make sure you can actually be awake and functional when you take the test. I went for a quick run the morning of each of mine and tried to wake up a few hours earlier than I actually needed too. The better prepared you are, the less stressed you will be.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #23
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Sounds like your head is in the right place; I'm about to start working on my graduate degree now, but I do remember a little bit about the ACT.

I think the most important things are just testing as soon as you can, and keeping your eyes on the prize. If you can knock down the score you need / want before you start your Senior year life will be so much more enjoyable . Also remember the more work you put in now, the less work you'll have to worry about later. The ACT is in IMO the most important factor in applying for scholarships, and can be the difference between a full ride with a stipend and working your way through college, taking loans or having your parents pay for it.

Also, don't report your scores to schools. Take the test a few times untill you're confident you've done your best, and then you can choose to report your best scores and best overall to the schools of your choice. It costs more, but if you bomb a section it can be totally worth it (assuming they still let you do that).

I would also recomend you pick up the prep-guide from the actual ACT people. The test is not so much about it's content (although it does test general knowledge) as it is your basic reasoning and analysis skills. My High School didn't offer any sort of prep-course so I had to do it all on my own, and I spent a lot of time just working, and re-working that book. I think if you develop a strategy that you stick with, and hit the test as hard as you can you should have no problems with time. This practice will help you with time mangement and keeping a cool / level head come test day, while also giving you a hint of what to expect in a lot of your college classes.

Also be certain to plan well in advance how you plan to get to the test site (plan for traffic, lack of parking ect.) and make sure you can actually be awake and functional when you take the test. I went for a quick run the morning of each of mine and tried to wake up a few hours earlier than I actually needed too. The better prepared you are, the less stressed you will be.
too late now, filled in registration a few weeks ago, we were told to send scores to the schools we were gonna apply to

Test site is at the High School, during class hours.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
too late now, filled in registration a few weeks ago, we were told to send scores to the schools we were gonna apply to

Test site is at the High School, during class hours.
You can do it for future tests ... because you'll take it more than once, right, righhhhht?

And yeah, you're lucky - mine was at Western Kentucky University - 45 minutes away.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #25
Got Worms?

Well i took it today..I'm sure i'll score high on math, there was like 10 i wasn't 100% positive about the answer, only 5 i guessed on. If i had more time, ther would have only be 1 or two i couldn't have done, and been positive about the answer because it was a trig only concept, trig isn't offered at my school. BUT it gave me the law of sines so i probably could have figured it out. 30-60 minutes later.

English i'm sure i did good on, probably above average. I finished it, only guessed on the "review the paragraph and rearrange the sentences so they flow better." questions, i wasn't gong to spen 5 minutes analyzing a paragraph for 1 question

Reading and science though, i just guessed on the last 20 questions. For me, just not enough time is allowed to read the passage properly, then answer questions, reading another 5 minutes would have let me come alot closer to finishing, science i would have needed another 15-20 minutes, as i still had 2.5 sections to do at the 5 min call.

BUT after getting on to act's website and looking at a table...the average act composite score for the college i want to go to is 28, well according to act if you have a composite of 28 your smarter than 91% of the high schoolers in the nation beings we are a POOR high school, i'd say being smarter than 91% of the nation is quite a task to do.

SO in 3-8 weeks i'll know my score...hopefully its good because i never had the opportunity to undo the send to these colleges section...Once one test ended the next started 30-60 seconds later, with a short break before reading and science, probably what screwed with me was that break.

I think i'm going blind right now, barley read what i'm typing (3-4 ft away from the monitor, but its normal) Its probable my astigmatism acting up, it comes and goes...i think anyways, i know my bad eye swaps sides too, well according to the eye person. So sorry if there misspelt word or something, as i can't read what i typed right now