Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Craigslist Scammers ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Craigslist Scammers ?????

So im wondering how they go about doing it ?? I know theres the people that send you a large check,tell you to cash it and send them the balance,then a few days later the check bounces and your screwed. But how about the ones that ask for your name,addy,and phone number,if you give them the info what do they do with it, its not like it secret info,anyone can get that from a phone book. What other scams do they do and are these overseas people,cause they sure are stupid, i know its a scam just by there first email,why dont they make them more normal and not the same thing over and over.
jeepron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepron View Post
So im wondering how they go about doing it ?? I know theres the people that send you a large check,tell you to cash it and send them the balance,then a few days later the check bounces and your screwed. But how about the ones that ask for your name,addy,and phone number,if you give them the info what do they do with it, its not like it secret info,anyone can get that from a phone book. What other scams do they do and are these overseas people,cause they sure are stupid, i know its a scam just by there first email,why dont they make them more normal and not the same thing over and over.
If people keep falling for it, and it is still making them money, why change it?

When this scam stops making them money, they'll come up with something new, they always do.

Plus, I look at CL as an extended local fleamarket. All transactions are face-to-face and in a public place.

Last edited by Greatscott; 05-03-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepron View Post
why dont they make them more normal and not the same thing over and over.
Ummm because they are scammers. Also it seems like most of these folks are from outside the United States and have a tenuous grasp on the english language at best. This is why I only deal with people from craigslist in person and with cash only.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I had a guy try to buys something from me. He made a fake paypal service e-mail to me and it said I would she the amount in my account as soon as the item shipped. I called paypal about it, sent them the e-mail and the nailed the fu(ker for frawd.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I was selling a free standing fireplace on craigslist a while back. I had someone email me offering to pay me by certified check and a trusted shipper would pick it up and store it for them. I sent back an email saying that if the shipper was so trusted, send them the check and tell them to bring me cash. I never heard back from them... LOL!
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

One of the biggest problems with craigslist here in CA is robbery. Follow home break in's, home invasions, and strong arm robbery, etc
Crooks aren't interested in what you are actually selling but more interested in what else you have, and when you leave home, etc.
Meet in a public place, away from home, double back and make sure you weren't followed. Better yet, go anywhere but your home. Unfortunately with reverse phone searches starting to pop up cel info, it's already too easy for them to find your home address. Or with all the geo data attatched to many of the pics we all post online, it's very easy to find where you live and places you regularly go.
And if you have an I-Phone, then just freakin forget about not being able to be tracked or located by crooks

Last edited by Rig Rocker; 05-05-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote