Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Help me determine if I should talk my 14 year old son into a Wraith over a Summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #1

Default Help me determine if I should talk my 14 year old son into a Wraith over a Summit

Title says most. My son has been saving his lawn mowing money from most of last Summer and this summer. He is less than $100 away from having enough saved for a Summit. Now the Wraith is coming out. I personally think the Wraith would be better. He thinks the Summit. It looks like to me in a do it all competition the Summit would likely win because of its massive size. But I think that is also it's main weakness. I'm having a hard time getting my son to realize how big that monster would be to store and take with us any where we went. He's 14 so of course he loves that fact that the Summit is huge. I'm also guessing with all the servo's the Summit would take more maintenance.
Trying to decide how persausive I should be.....
Any input would be appreciated.

alwaysfixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Yes you should, just know that when not in low gear the summit eats batteries like a sumo wrestler at a buffet
RCTRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Which one of you will be working on it?
I have a mini erevo and it's a pain to work on, you have to take half the car apart to get to any one part.
Solid axles, links and a chassis are much easier to deal with.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

At the price point of either of these, just make sure he is happy. You wouldn't want all his hard work and money spent on something that he will regret in the end.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
B@3

^^^^ Very good point. It's a good lesson that you are teaching him about working hard and saving money.

About what to do. In the end its his money that he worked for and if the summit is what he wants let him get it. If he finds that it isn't what he wanted then another life lesson learned. Make sure he understands the cost of owning a summit. They take two batteries which add to the cost. I realize that they come with batteries but they need to be upgraded eventually. A good charger is need if you don't have one already. Upgrades are more than likely more expensive. The maintance is more time consuming and needs to be done keep it running in the best condition. It will be good for him to learn that too. I just think that the ongoing cost might be higher for the summit.

On the other hand I love my summit. Its a very versitile monster truck. They are very tough and it never gets boring.

Good luck
B@3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
RCC Addict

The summit will be more prone to breaking parts as is the nature of independent suspension. It's also extremely heavy and cumbersome. The other problem is it requires twice the batteries. Like said in high gear it's a power hog too. Then with all the servos and gadgets there is so much to go wrong and maintenance is a nightmare having to take it all apart. You have one servo on the wraith (two with dig option) and there are 5 servos on the summit and a ton of linkage to make it all work.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
RCC Addict

He is 14. Its his money. Let him pick.

Edit: Better idea is. Let him get the Summit, and you buy a Wraith. When he figures out the Summit sucks, you can give him the Wraith. Then he will learn to listen to you, and you will be the coolest Dad for giving him your Wraith.

Last edited by KBrog; 06-16-2011 at 10:36 AM.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Coming from a 14 year old to that had a summit. Don't even touch it. A wraith with a brushless setup and upgraded servo would be best for sure.
pastrana#199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. I think I will provide as much information to him on the pro's and con's of each and then let him choose. I will try not to let my desire for the Wraith interfere too much.
alwaysfixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have a summit, and I will most likely be buying a wraith. One major hassel about the summit is that it needs two batteries, IMO it sucks having to wait for two batts to charge. One cool thing aobut the summit is that it is really big, therefore it can climb bigger things that would normally be a problem for the smaller trucks.

But if he does decide to go with the summit you could probally find him a good deal on a used one and save him alot of money to put towards extra batts. or a charger.

I think I'll be selling mine somtime
Duramarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

has he driven a wraith? he prob wants a summit b/c he has some sort of contact with it.
JS412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Edit: Better idea is. Let him get the Summit, and you buy a Wraith. When he figures out the Summit sucks, you can give him the Wraith. Then he will learn to listen to you, and you will be the coolest Dad for giving him your Wraith.
I like this idea.......
sasquatch420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

This. If you want your kid to get into the hobby, let him do it with whatever truck HE wants. Eventually he'll either learn that he's happy with his choice, and be hooked, or he'll be unhappy with it and look for something else - at which point you can try to steer him towards the Wraith.
Rudukai13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Also encourage him to read some about each on here
RCTRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfixin View Post
Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. I think I will provide as much information to him on the pro's and con's of each and then let him choose. I will try not to let my desire for the Wraith interfere too much.

Has he watched any of the videos of the Wraiths yet? Perhaps have him watch some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudukai13 View Post
This. If you want your kid to get into the hobby, let him do it with whatever truck HE wants. Eventually he'll either learn that he's happy with his choice, and be hooked, or he'll be unhappy with it and look for something else - at which point you can try to steer him towards the Wraith.
If he winds up hating the Summit, then he might avoid the hobby all together. First bad taste tends to kill the desire to want more.... just like eating certain foods.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:03 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

And if you give him the wraith then he can mow your yard for a couple summers.. which leaves you more time for crawling
docsrcrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Has he watched any of the videos of the Wraiths yet? Perhaps have him watch some

If he winds up hating the Summit, then he might avoid the hobby all together. First bad taste tends to kill the desire to want more.... just like eating certain foods.

TOYO has a great point. Gettin a car you don't like Sours you on the hobby. At 14 I'm sure he doesn't have the cash to buy the a Wraith if the Summit doesnt work out. I would have him watch 3 videos os the Wraith in stock, then 3 of the Summit stock. Price 4 summit batteries and 2 Wraith batteries. Then compare $500 for the Summit vs. $350 for the Wraith.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

You'd better not show him the summit video this thing is bad azz,brings out the 14year old in me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPCj...yer_detailpage
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I personally would tell him to get the Summit. That way he has more options on what he wants to do with it. Bashing off ramps, going though mud, playing in the water, and crawling... Sounds like a good rc to help him make up his mind on what he wants to do in rc.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I would think the Summit is more up his ally for now. Speed, wheelies at will, jumping ramps, flying over berms, etc. I did sell mine, but it was a total blast to drive. Things have just been tight though and the wife needed a new bike. I still wish I had one for the dogs to chase.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote