Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Bike Mechanic Stands?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Bike Mechanic Stands?

Has anyone custom made a Bike Mechanic Stand?

Spending $100+ on a bike stand by Park tools is really out of my budget for something i will not need too often, other than just repairing or maintaining my bike. I am thinking of building my own Bike mechanic Stand out of PVC, but wondering if anyone has even tried this..

if anyone has made a bike mechanic stand, please post pics!

Thanks!
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I've not made one, but this thread has some interesting ideas for one:

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listco...4234&pagenum=1

Anything that holds the bike by the seat and allows full motion of the crank arms and doesn't flex too much would be good.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
RCC Addict

From someone that has tried multiple times. A decent stand is worth EVERY penny you put into it. The ability to spin the bike upside down or rotate it 90 degree either direction is an absolute requirement if you are going to use a stand. If all the stand does is hold the bike off the ground so you can spin the wheels, you really have not achieved much.

I used this stand for years to maintain a Klien, a Schwinn and a Diamondback, all with suspension so a decent amount of work went inot them each year tuning and maintaining. $120 is a cheap price for the ease this brings. I liked this one because it folds completely flat and the clamp arm will clamp on the seat tube or (if the frame is Chrommoly) the frame.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
RCC Addict

What is the point of rotating the bike? i mean i was only thinking of making the stand, since my back began to hurt after staying in one spot for awhile, as well as no stable way to put the bike up for me..

What bike stands are cheap and reccomended?

I saw one go for $80..
Old 08-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
What is the point of rotating the bike? i mean i was only thinking of making the stand, since my back began to hurt after staying in one spot for awhile, as well as no stable way to put the bike up for me..

What bike stands are cheap and reccomended?

I saw one go for $80..
Performance bike always has a park brand for about $100. And a decent one with their own name on it for about $80
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
Performance bike always has a park brand for about $100. And a decent one with their own name on it for about $80
I believe the one with their name is "Spin Doctor"

Is there a big difference between Spin Doctor and Park Tools?

I wouldnt mind paying the extra, right now, my bike stands around 20ish.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I am actually in the middle of building one right now. I will try to get some pics up. It is going pretty well, I just need to finalize a couple things. For $100 I would buy one if I did not have the fab skills to build exactly what I wanted.......
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
06 Super National Champ

Park PCS-9. About $110 and good as you'd need for home mechanic use.

JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The Park stand that JIA posted is a pretty nice one. We have one as a spare at the shop I work at for basic maintenance classes and whatnot. I really don't think being able to rotate the bike upside down or 90 degrees in either direction is a requirement in a stand. For most repairs, simply having the bike held securely with the ability to spin the wheels and cranks freely is enough. When I'm wrenching on bikes at the shop, it's pretty rare that I spin the bike upside down or 90 degrees.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
The Park stand that JIA posted is a pretty nice one. We have one as a spare at the shop I work at for basic maintenance classes and whatnot. I really don't think being able to rotate the bike upside down or 90 degrees in either direction is a requirement in a stand. For most repairs, simply having the bike held securely with the ability to spin the wheels and cranks freely is enough. When I'm wrenching on bikes at the shop, it's pretty rare that I spin the bike upside down or 90 degrees.
That is what i was thinking....

Could someone enlighten me on what is the point of having a stand that can rotate around?

I could potentially see why, i could, but i work on my bike with the bike upside down on the floor, and work on them that way, but my back begins to hurt after about 10min of that, since all the things like shifting and brakes are near the ground.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
That is what i was thinking....

Could someone enlighten me on what is the point of having a stand that can rotate around?

I could potentially see why, i could, but i work on my bike with the bike upside down on the floor, and work on them that way, but my back begins to hurt after about 10min of that, since all the things like shifting and brakes are near the ground.
Rotation is handy. The PCS-9 rotates. This allows you to clamp to the top tube or to the seatpost.

I will also rotate the front of the bike down (as pictured above) so the front end points straight with the help of gravity. Usually I'll let the front tire rest on the ground.

I spent an extra $20 or so on the parts/tool tray for the stand as well.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #12
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Park PCS-9. About $110 and good as you'd need for home mechanic use.

Couldnt this stand also hold from the tt?
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

If you already have a 1:1 motor stand you could just make your own mount and buy some kind of clamp.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #14
RCC Addict

When I was working at bike shops, I frequently had bikes upside down. R&Ring wheels, basic wheel truing and doing bottom bracket stuff is easier upside down.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
Couldnt this stand also hold from the tt?
Yes, the clamp rotates. For this bike I clamp to the seat tube because the carbon top tube is oval and I don't want to risk damage to the frame.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Yes, the clamp rotates. For this bike I clamp to the seat tube because the carbon top tube is oval and I don't want to risk damage to the frame.
I figured as much,but wasnt sure how much it would open.It would be nice if it would open onough to catch the down tube also.

I may have to get one,I'm about to have to build my son another whip and the living room floor is hard on the back.I'm a fanatic about his ride when I 1st build it.I'll build it 2x,once for fit,then with lub.,but the hardest part is getting the brakes perfect,rear detangler,then the front,making look good and feel good and work perfect takes time.This next ride is just rear with straight cable,so that cuts off like 4 hrs for me.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote