Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 3d printing---dimension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default 3d printing---dimension

This is a Q for those who work with dimension printers...

Will the dimension print material handle the stresses a crawler chassis has to support???
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm by no means "in the field" or an expert on the subject, but I think they're more or less just for prototyping 3 dimensional objects, and I don't think the printed product is very structurally strong

BUT

depending on how complex the part is you're trying to make, you could probably print it, create a mold of it with plaster, and then melt some plastic or maybe even metal (if you can get enough metal hot enough), and try to cast the final product
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Light testing would be ok if you use abs+ material. No way though if you plan to really work the chassis. I have used abs+ for some parts but they had some beef to them. The dimension parts work great for make sure parts fit and move propertly like knuckles and C hubs. Flat stuff like chassis it just make more sense to get it laser cut.
Shoei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoei1 View Post
Light testing would be ok if you use abs+ material. No way though if you plan to really work the chassis. I have used abs+ for some parts but they had some beef to them. The dimension parts work great for make sure parts fit and move propertly like knuckles and C hubs. Flat stuff like chassis it just make more sense to get it laser cut.
I'd like to get 6 hours of testing, i won't try to be too abusive, just enough to get a good feeling on what needs to be changed and what not. I can print 5 chassis for the cost to get 1 cut here in town.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
RCC Addict

It will easily prove out your suspension layout and any clearances you've built in. You MIGHT be able to get away with actually running it, but I don't as they're usually fairly brittle.

Make it thicker than your production versions and you may be ok.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

We have a Dimension here at work. The parts are strong but I can't see it holding together for very long under the stress a crawler can put out. Of course this depends on your design and how hard you are on it during your testing.

Is there a particular reason it has to be plastic other than the cost of machining? What is the final material going to be?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Got Worms?

It'll be 1/8" delrin eventually, i'm working on a lcc replacment chassis.

Its just for testing, i don't plan on being too hard on it (falling off a cliff, jumping, etc)

Mostly just to test it till i have 20+ chassis cut out.

There's other structural elements, just haven't modeled them yet, this is just a sketch

Old 09-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
20K Club

A print of that will not hold up at all.

Having something like that cut really shouldn't cost more than $10 a chassis or less.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
A print of that will not hold up at all.

Having something like that cut really shouldn't cost more than $10 a chassis or less.
Not when you add in the topper and machined skid, as a one off. I can print it for like $6-9. and have it when i want it.

It will have more support to keep it from folding in on itself if thats what your wondering/thinking...
Old 09-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
RCC Addict

That part won't last at all done up as a rapid prototype piece. Not if you're going to run it anyway.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Got Worms?

explain, where's the fault...where will it break? The above is no where near the complete chassis, just a sketch i drew up of what the profile will be, it will be getting more beef to it
Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
RCC Addict

There may not be a fault in the actual design, but a rapid prototype part is brittle. Like I said before, we use them to prove out suspension and link locations, NOT to actually run them.

If nothing else, double up the thickness for your prototype if you still want to run it. Don't expect it to live though unless you add a bunch of bracing. Bracing that may not necessarily be needed if you were using the production material.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
...I can print it for like $6-9. and have it when i want it....
Well for that price, just get it printed and try it out. It's not like you're making a huge investment in it...if it breaks, then it breaks.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Got Worms?

just wondering, if this material is so brittle...why can you make springs out of it?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Why ask for opinions, just have the chassis made and find out for yourself. You're not out much if it breaks.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #16
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
Why ask for opinions, just have the chassis made and find out for yourself. You're not out much if it breaks.
because, just trying to kill time...and $10 is 2 days worth of fuel to drive to school everyday, gotta pinch pennies

Also because i don't want it to crumble within 5 minutes and kill hours worth of work

Just trying to figure out if i can get afew non abusive hours out of it.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Since you're disagreed with everyone who has said you're likely to have issues, have at it. I'm sure it will be fine now.

Also, if you're that worried about a $10 R&D investment for your business, you shouldn't be in business...
Old 09-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #18
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
...if you're that worried about a $10 R&D investment for your business, you shouldn't be in business...
I hate to say it but he's right.

This looks like a very simple part to machine from 1/8" delrin. I don't know where you buy your delrin from but I have some laying around. If you really want to test this out with the material you intend to make it from, and if I have big enough pieces, I can make it for you. That way you can get some real information from your testing.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I used a Stratasys Dimension printer for a chassis a couple of years ago. The material can be strengthened using thin CA and saturating the material. The piece I designed was thick enough that the forces it would be subjected to would unlikely break-it (I did carry a spare in case).

Looking at your planned design, I'd say the material will be subjected to forces that will make the structure fail.
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #20
No idea what I'm doing

If you look closely at the construction of his part, you can see why the chassis would break apart. The Dimension extrudes lines of plastic, layer by layer to make the part. 1/8" is not very thick for these lines to get strength from.

One thing I would do differently on Hartman's part though is print the part as a solid and drill the holes afterwards. I've done this with parts we make at work and the holes come out much better especially if they are intended to be tapped.