i never knew that ever happend thanks
chrispbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yea me either, Great find man.
RodyRazorBackc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I little history lesson right here on RCC. Great find JIA! And FANTASTIC move Mr. Monday!

dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have have this picture up at every job I have held as well as on my vehicals.
I had an inmate ask me why I had it on my door and what was the reason it has the strips and blue with stars. I explained what it ment then typed it up and put under it.

This is what the flag colors mean:

The Flag of the United States of America

What our colors mean:
White signifies Purity and Innocence
Red represents Hardiness and Valor.
Blue is for Vigilance, Perseverance and Justice.
The Stars are a symbol of the heavens and the divine goal to which man has aspired from time immemorial.
The Stripe is symbolic of the rays of light emanating from the sun.

On June 14, 1777, Congress mad the following resolution: “The flag of the United States shall be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white, with a union of thirteen stars of white on a blue field…” Official announcement of the new flag was not made until September 3, 1777.

In the beginning Congress failed to make a rules for how the flag should be made as far as guidelines and how the stars should be displayed, but the most common arrangement for the stars was a circle. As the United States grew each state that joined the Union, demanded to be represented in the stars and strips of the flag. So in 1795 Congress voted to increase the number of stars and strips to 15. Legislation stepped in, and in 1818 reestablished the number of stripes to 13 and instituted the policy, “That on the admission of every new state into the Union, one star be added to the union of the flag…”

At the time of the Mexican War in 1846, the American flag contained 29 stars. At the start of the American Civil War in 1861, the flag contained 34 stars. By the time of the Spanish-American War in 1898, the flag contained 45 stars. The last two stars were added in 1959 and 1960 after Alaska and Hawaii were admitted to the Union. Today in our everyday lives we salute 50 great stars standing for 50 of the greatest states in the World.

On October 29, 1912, President William Howard Taft issued an executive order to fix the overall width and length of the U.S. flag. This is known technically as the hoist and fly, in the ration of 1:1.9. The 13 stripes were fixed at equal width. The hoist of the blue field containing the stars was fixed at seven-thirteenths of the overall hoist, which is extending from the top of the flag to the bottom of the seventh strip. The fly of the blue field was fixed at three-fourths of the overall hoist. The diameter of each star was established as a minute fraction under one-sixteenth of the overall hoist. And the single point of each star is pointed upward. In 1959, President Eisenhower provided for the arrangement of the stars in nine rows of stars staggered horizontally and eleven rows of stars staggered vertically.

“Old Glory” as we like to call our flag, was coined by Captain Stephen Driver a shipmaster of Salem, Mass. in 1831. As he was leaving on one of his many voyages aboard the brig CHARLES DOGGETT - and this one would climax the rescue of the mutineers of the BOUNTY – some friends presented him with a beautiful flag of twenty four stars. As the banner opened to the ocean breeze for the first time, he exclaimed “OLD GLORY!”

He retired to Nashville in 1837, taking his treasured flag from his sea days with him. By the time the Civil War erupted, most everyone in and around Nashville recognized Captain Driver’s “Old Glory” When Tennessee seceded form the Union, Rebels were determined to destroy his flag, but repeated searches revealed no trace of the hated banner.

Then on February 25th, 1862, Union forces captured Nashville and raised the American flag over the capital. It was a rather small ensign and immediately folks began asking Captain Driver if “Old Glory” still existed. Happy to have soldiers with him this time, Captain Driver went home and began ripping at the seams of his bedcover. As the stitches holding the quilt-top to the batting unraveled, onlookers peered inside and saw the 24-starred original “Old Glory”!
Captain Drive gently gathered up the flag and returned with the soldiers to the capital. Though he was sixty years old, the Captain climbed up to the tower to replace the smaller banner with his beloved flag. The Sixth Ohio Regiment cheered and saluted – and later adopted the nickname “Old Glory” as their own, telling and re-telling the story of Captain Driver’s devotion to the flag we honor yet today.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

OH great find JIA.
Also after 9/11 I had over 300 correctional workers and there family members with this flag on there vehicles and work areas. I ended up making over a 1000 in all and I had none left with in two weeks. I still see it around town.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote