Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: lockers and winter conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default lockers and winter conditions

Whats ya'lls thoughts on having a rear locker in winter conditions (ice/snow packed roads, powder) and also in a dd rig...thinking of the aussie locker (lock right)

Does it help with dead start on snow packed roads? My biggest issue with a open diff '90 toy. I also want the locker for mild off-roading, i can get the toy a lot farther than some other open diff rigs i've been with (i know how drive) but it be nice to just crawl up stuff

Also thoughts on the aussie locker, from what i have read its A+ for a lunchbox locker, i'm not going to pony up for a arb or something for a little toyota rear end. Although it be pretty sweet to have a arb for it.

Oh its a dd with 30's on it, i have a '90 commanche for any good wheeling trip (it'll go just about anywhere)...but my driveway is a wheeling trip i itself in any adverse weather conditions...the semi has to chain up anytime theres snow on the ground to get home. and its got meaty aggressive tires not highway tires
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i had tons of fun with mine..
everyone who says theyre anything but awesome is a *****.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well, even if its a lunchbox type, it will still lock hard on slippery ice and snow during cornering. You will theoretically have better traction due to both tires driving rather than just one, but the instability will be an issue. You will likely have a hard time controlling fishtailing.

I installed one in a buddies TJ a while ago and it worked great for light trail duty, but he HATED it in the winter time.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
i had tons of fun with mine..
everyone who says theyre anything but awesome is a *****.
ha ha, i'm sure their fun, but how beneficial can they be in wheelin in the winter. I've read and have little experience of driving locked vehicle in a dd winter condition, which i'm not too worried about the traction issues as i drive for the most part 40 miles of straight hwy everyday...at 45+, right now i just toss er into 4 high, lock the hubs in and drive like normal, i have no complaints of the open diff in winter, BUT in 2 wheel, at a dead stop, its just about impossible to get going on a snow packed road (especially one with a slight uphill grade to it)

So thats my biggest question is how well they help on snow pack at slow speeds.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
cherry bomb

leave it open or put a locker in you can control. (or weld it, thats what i'd do) i think soemthing that can kick in and out on its own free will (and it will on unpredictable traction surfaces) could do you more harm then good. you want it to drive the same all the time (predictable) when conditions are like this.
the above is for on-raod daily driving sircumstances

off-road it doesnt really matter what locker you have, if you get all crazy you have less chance damage other peoples property or potentialy hurt someone.

toyota 3rds are cheap (if you're running a common gear) go ahead and weld it

Last edited by fred0000; 10-16-2011 at 09:21 PM.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Well, even if its a lunchbox type, it will still lock hard on slippery ice and snow during cornering. You will theoretically have better traction due to both tires driving rather than just one, but the instability will be an issue. You will likely have a hard time controlling fishtailing.

I installed one in a buddies TJ a while ago and it worked great for light trail duty, but he HATED it in the winter time.
Yes i know about this...but shouldn't be too big of an issue as i drive main hwy everyday and its always salted so most there is is slush, when it is powded or snow pack i drop in in 4high...also for the most part its straight. Just wondering if i'll gain any traction in startups on sno pack and climbing hills on snow pac...also just general offroading in powder.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
leave it open or put a locker in you can control. (or weld it, thats what i'd do) i think soemthing that can kick in and out on its own free will (and it will on unpredictable traction surfaces) could do you more harm then good. you want it to drive the same all the time (predictable) when conditions are like this.
the above is for on-raod daily driving sircumstances

off-road it doesnt really matter what locker you have, if you get all crazy you have less chance damage other peoples property or potentialy hurt someone.

toyota 3rds are cheap (if you're running a common gear) go ahead and weld it
It is a dd, i want something that won't kill tires on the corners. If i know correctly, welded gears are just 100% locked, like a spool (running a spool in the commanche)
Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
It is a dd, i want something that won't kill tires on the corners. If i know correctly, welded gears are just 100% locked, like a spool (running a spool in the commanche)
yes its like a spool, could start rotating tires on a regular basis to even out the wear.

what I mean by wanting something predictable is, say your going around a corner (on slick ice surface) and your lunchbox is acting as a diff, so your driving normaly for it being an open diff, then it decides it wants to lock, then who knows what its going to do, and there is a good chance you wont be ready for it. if its welded solid you will know for sure how its going to act, this is why I say get something you can control

good luck.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thats not how a "lunchbox" locker works. A lunchbox locks up when you put the power to them. They unlock when you let off for cornering. They don't just pop in and out whenever, or as the road conditions change. I run a Lockrite (F/R) in my Explorer. They will help you get started but as far as slick conditions go I wish they werent there sometimes. A ARB or OX (selectable) would be a better choice for winter, street driving. Of course the price of these are quite a bit more than the lunchbox type, but if I could do it all over (which I will be) I would go with one of those first.

Last edited by BLOODBANE; 10-16-2011 at 09:48 PM.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Don't do it!

I lost my fiance last year due to her inexperience driving a spool on slippery roads. She swerved to miss a deer and there was no comming back.
BurnLatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODBANE View Post
Thats not how a "lunchbox" locker works. A lunchbox locks up when you put the power to them. They unlock when you let off for cornering. .
Exactly. If your lockrite ain't clicking and clattering around a corner, it ain't working. Under power, they will click, clack, clatter, and bang when turning under power. But when you are coasting, they unlock.

The OP wants to know if they work well for gaining traction in winter (ie. accelerating)
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnLatex View Post
Don't do it!

I lost my fiance last year due to her inexperience driving a spool on slippery roads. She swerved to miss a deer and there was no comming back.
i'm really sorry for your loss
not to ad salt to the wound but, thats why it's illegal to swerve to miss deer. most times it's more dangerous then actualy hitting the dear.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODBANE View Post
Thats not how a "lunchbox" locker works. A lunchbox locks up when you put the power to them. They unlock when you let off for cornering. They don't just pop in and out whenever, or as the road conditions change. I run a Lockrite (F/R) in my Explorer. They will help you get started but as far as slick conditions go I wish they werent there sometimes. A ARB or OX (selectable) would be a better choice for winter, street driving. Of course the price of these are quite a bit more than the lunchbox type, but if I could do it all over (which I will be) I would go with one of those first.
Were talking about putting it in a truck that only cost about a grand, a arb or ox locker will almost be worth more than the truck Although it be awesome if i could get a arb for it

Now, i know detrotit lockers work as you speak, BUT from what i've read the aussie locker never unlocks, just allows one tire to spin faster than the drive tire, so both no matter what will be going the min speed the tranny is putting out, BUT around a corner the outside tire can rotate faster and makes a ratcheting noise

I'm also considering just putting a locker up front, so when i need it its there, but if i don't need it on the ice just not turn one hub in.

Oh the aussie locker cost less than $300, just an fyi. so not bad.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I'm also considering just putting a locker up front, so when i need it its there, but if i don't need it on the ice just not turn one hub in.
if it's got manual hubs weld it

nothing beats a miller-mega-traction unit... except mayde a lincoln locker
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
Got Worms?

Quote:
if it's got manual hubs weld it
Nah, i don't want to weld up my gears I don't need it locked that bad. $300 isn't too much to cough up...bout a good months worth of $ from overkillrc.com

I like todo stuff the proper way, if it can't be done right, don't do it at all. Now a auto locker is as close as to proper i'm willing to go though in the toy, If i was to toss a arb in it, it'll have to get a axle swap to something bigger like a 60.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
cherry bomb

I honestly wouldn't weld my gears on a DD either, but i'm still sticking with my statement of having something you can control, or something that doesnt go in and out of lock/unlock.

my XJ on toyota 8" axles was welded front and rear and I loved it, it was a trail rig only however (but I did drive to and from the trail)
Old 10-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Also this is future planning for a pre-runner suspension i want to toss under it.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
I'm a stupid C U N T!

they change the way you drive, you really have to pay attention to how you turn and how you apply throttle or your going to spend alot of time sideways. They def. improve traction but on slippery stuff you will be locking up all the time
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I myself have hit several deer. I know whats up. Accidents still happen.

Spools are definatley not good for street or highway use. If you disagree, you should not have a license. You could hit other traffic when you spin out.

That being said, one wheel peelers are for fags. Posi up bro. A good limited slip is what you need. On power lock up but off power diff action.

The spool was fun for offoading no doubt. Its just a bad thing on road.
BurnLatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #20
Got Worms?

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't weld my gears on a DD either, but i'm still sticking with my statement of having something you can control, or something that doesnt go in and out of lock/unlock.

my XJ on toyota 8" axles was welded front and rear and I loved it, it was a trail rig only however (but I did drive to and from the trail)
The predictably can't be any worse than full open, there is like a 50/50 chance now whether if i'll keep traction to the wheels or break traction around corners now since i'm so light in my bed...i did though probably toss 1/4ton of hay bales in my bed last year when it got really bad which helped alot but killed fuel mileage and power.