Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Moto gp : (

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Moto gp : (

Marco Simoncelli from Italy, who was on Team Gesini Honda, was killed today in the race in Malaysia. He was hit by by two other riders, Colin Edwards, and Valentino Rossi. Another tragic loss in the racing community.

Godspeed Marco you will be missed.
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

R.I.P. indeed, I hope it was quick for him. Edwards and Rossi had no chance of missing him the way him and the bike came back in line.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Yes, a sad day again. Simoncelli was damn good rider, usually the fastest on a non-factory bike, and had what it took to be a winner. He was trying to save a lowside, but was too far off on the side of the bike, just hanging onto it really. Terrible.

If anyone is offended by these pictures, I will remove them:

Last edited by gunnar; 10-23-2011 at 06:25 PM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

not a good couple weeks for the motorsport community....to see a rider laing prone like that on the track not moving is a horrible sight.
I'd say there will be a few racing organization going through safety audits to see what, if anything, they can do to try to minimize fatalities.
slowlearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I saw that this morning before NASCAR. Shit was crazy! He straight got hit by a motorcycle as he tumbled across the course. Something I don't know is, how did he lose it?

EDIT: Excuse the question, I didn't read the thread before I posted. I didn't just look over the pictures.

Last edited by NoobCrawler; 10-23-2011 at 07:32 PM.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

He lowsided through the turn, most riders would let go of the bike, but I have a feeling his leg could have been caught under the fairing, he was much further over on the side than normal.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Wow that is crazy, I missed the race this morning and have it on a recording for Tuesday.

I have to say that it is a tragedy that this happened to Marco. It was a pleasure to watch him this season, he really was doing well. Last season he averaged what 10th place and this season he lead quite a few laps and was trading with the big guys.

I will also say that I am sorry for Edwards and Rossi, even though it looks like they couldnt do anything they must be going through those moments over and over in their head thinking that they could have done something.

A reminder that even though riding on a track is very safe it is still a dangerous activity.

Ok I just watched the video, I dont understand what happened and how he ended up cutting back across the track like that. I almost feel like he passed out or something, why didnt he move at all? A very weird incident indeed.

Last edited by SMR 510RR; 10-23-2011 at 09:06 PM.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Very sad,i just watched the vid on youtube,his helmut came flying off during the collision,very sad...RIP.
GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Absolutely gutted this morning when i saw it.

Unfortunately as it happened it looked all to familiar to Shoya Tomizawa's death at San Marino last year in the Moto2 class.

Simoncelli has been pretty much the only entertainment this year in MotoGP, since Rossi jumped on a shite bike and Repsol Honda started hiring sulky, complaining, boring, bitches.

We went to the Misano round last month and unlike most of the grid (Rossi included) Simoncelli really couldn't do enough for his fans.

If heart courage and determination counted as points, Marco would have been world champ many times over.

Sadly missed.

The double tragedy is Simoncelli and Rossi were really good mates.
Rossi had taken him under his wing and was pretty much the only guy that spoke up for him this year after some "enthusiastic" over takes.

I expect to read that this incident will cause Rossi to rethink his career path, i'd put money on him announcing his retirement in the next few weeks.

A tragedy for Simoncell's family and loved ones.
Mega tough times for Rossi (i know they weigh up the risks, but can you imagine running your mate over with your bike and effectively killing him) And a mega loss for racing fans everywhere.

To give the folks that don't watch MotoGP a rough idea on what he had to put up with this year.
Pedrosa refused to shake hands with Simoncelli.FLV - YouTube

Sure he had made a few mistakes but certainly no more than Lorenzo, Rossi, etc.

Instant hero status here as far as i'm concerned.
Lorenzo and Simoncelli lock horns after Estoril QP - YouTube

That's the world champ he's not taking any shit from

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
Absolutely gutted this morning when i saw it.

Unfortunately as it happened it looked all to familiar to Shoya Tomizawa's death at San Marino last year in the Moto2 class.

Simoncelli has been pretty much the only entertainment this year in MotoGP, since Rossi jumped on a shite bike and Repsol Honda started hiring sulky, complaining, boring, bitches.

We went to the Misano round last month and unlike most of the grid (Rossi included) Simoncelli really couldn't do enough for his fans.

If heart courage and determination counted as points, Marco would have been world champ many times over.

Sadly missed.

The double tragedy is Simoncelli and Rossi were really good mates.
Rossi had taken him under his wing and was pretty much the only guy that spoke up for him this year after some "enthusiastic" over takes.

I expect to read that this incident will cause Rossi to rethink his career path, i'd put money on him announcing his retirement in the next few weeks.

A tragedy for Simoncell's family and loved ones.
Mega tough times for Rossi (i know they weigh up the risks, but can you imagine running your mate over with your bike and effectively killing him) And a mega loss for racing fans everywhere.

To give the folks that don't watch MotoGP a rough idea on what he had to put up with this year.
Pedrosa refused to shake hands with Simoncelli.FLV - YouTube

Sure he had made a few mistakes but certainly no more than Lorenzo, Rossi, etc.

Instant hero status here as far as i'm concerned.
Lorenzo and Simoncelli lock horns after Estoril QP - YouTube

That's the world champ he's not taking any shit from

Cheers
Mark
I was prepared to write a bit about the loss of Simoncelli, but you said it all Mark, and said it very well. I've been pulling for Rossi to win that 10 championship, but outside that, Simoncelli is guy I've been enjoying the most. This season was magic for him. I was planning on enjoying his brashness and homour for the next ten years....maybe even toss in three or four world championships.

I agree Pedrosa and Stoner are snivelling little brats, while Dovizioso, Bautista, and Simoncelli, that 250cc class of 08 - 09 are all great racers and exciting competitors.

Talking with a friend yesterday, we too agreed this could really hit Rossi in a way that ends his career, but I do hope, like Dijiro Kato's death lit a fire in Sete Gibernau, it's the thing that spurs him on to grab that elusive 10th world championship in the name and memory of his close friend, the would-be world champion, Marco Simoncelli.

RIP Marco. You will be deeply missed.
blue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Here is the video........Graphic

LiveLeak.com - Marco Simoncelli death - Shocking video!
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I feel very sad today, Marco was the only reason I watched MGP, it was one of those moments where I didn't believe it, it wasn't possible...but it was true

...I'll miss you dude...
ManxCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Eng. View Post
Very sad to hear about this. Im still not 100 % sure what happend, in the vid the first camera shot shows a close up of how he came off the bike but it looks like that camera sped past him before he started to hit the ground and did not show him veering like the second camera angle in the vid?
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

The first shot was onboard with Bautista who was right behind him when he began crashing. You can see he looses the front wheel, then gets his elbow under it and picks the bike up in an attempt to save it, and then Bautista and Hayden are past and Sic is out of the camera view. Then it switches to outside view as Sic's front wheel has regained traction and turned the bike to the inside across the racing line right into the path of both Edwards and Rossi. The way the bike came up, left Sic hanging off the side, not able to get back up on the saddle, that's how he is in the outside shot when he gets hit.
blue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

That's exactly why my Bro Rich quit racing superbikes. One day and one too many wrecks, he just said, "Wow, I'm really lucky to only have a bum wrist!" And that was it.

If not for young men with something to prove, action sports would be dead. It takes a redbull / no fear mentality to be able to push the envelope further, and further for the win.

Hopefully he went quick and didn't have to suffer
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Another way to look at it is that he died doing what he loved to do
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote