Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: To all who hate bad spelling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default To all who hate bad spelling

I'm going to make a new thread, and hopefully not get flamed lol. So I started thinking about the other thread with the one guy sucking at spelling and grammar, and I was curious about what you guys put in to consideration for this type of stuff?
I'll admit, I'm not the greatest at spelling and grammar but that's because I do have a learning ish disability which makes it a bit hard some times, but I do try my damnedest to do it right(and a bit of help from my itouch)
Ill admit also that I do hate people who are LAZY and just don't care and will type away and not look at how they did it(kinda like when you read a certain post and you get a feel that it was in a rush)
So I'm not defending dumb asses that don't try but maybe if ya read this you'll might put some consideration in to a thread that you see that has really bad grammar and think that maybe the person just struggles or has a disability
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
dnf

Bad grammar doesnt bother me at all.

I have fat fingers....these keys are fkn small IMO.
not to mention fkn spell check can be worse than my own spelling
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

for me it is no punctuation and absolutely no spelling skills. remember firefox has a spell checker built in. just consider it is much easier to read a post with decent grammar then to spend time trying to decipher the rot some people post.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

bad grammar i can deal with, but having zero punctuation and every other word spelled wrong i can't deal with. with spell check and auto correct, there's simply no reason for a ton of spelling errors and no punctuation.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by foproy View Post
for me it is no punctuation and absolutely no spelling skills. remember firefox has a spell checker built in. just consider it is much easier to read a post with decent grammar then to spend time trying to decipher the rot some people post.
nit really,a ghy posded on hert onct hwe yuo wll de abdle tw ried evn de wrst spallng.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
Release your anger..

Attitude is everything. We can spot a lazy bum who uses text speak on a forum because they are a lazy bum.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Grammar really does not bother me that much but punctuation is a must!

I hate reeding post by people that do not use puncktuation it makes it very hard to read if there is no stop r start of a new topic or new sentence so therefor puncktuation is a must in my opinion when I first started hangging out on forums I was guilty of knot caring how things looked or how hard it was to reed a run on sentence of 50 words or more another thing Firefox makx it to easy for people that are to lazy to look up the speeling of a word all you gotta do it down load it and Firefox will spoon feed you if you can not speel but the puncktuation is left up to the keyboard controler I read somewhere that today speeling is not that important to people 30 and uyonger and therefor speeling is over looked but somethings you almost need a decoder ring to read i always try to makx proper sintance konstruction and proper puncktuation it just makx things go easer to myself and to the reader I fail alot but at least i try there is no consideration for theses things this is the enternets and some get off making there selves look good with there 500 word long post and then blast you out and try to make you look dum speeling is not hard if you do not know how to speel the word look it up but the sum r to lazy to even do that also if you are looking for sponsorship it would help to be able to speel if i waz looking for someone to rep my company I would want them to be able to do so
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
Attitude is everything. We can spot a lazy bum who uses text speak on a forum because they are a lazy bum.
text speak?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
text speak?
TXT speak. As in teenagers who use abbreviated wrds insted of speling it out cuz it taks too long.

I'm referring to those who are physically sound with no dyslexia or other difficulties.

Last edited by ThinkTank; 10-31-2011 at 12:11 AM.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Demonoid; I have read several of your posts and I have never had any issues understanding anything that you were trying to get across. I agree it isn't so much grammar as it is spelling and a lack of punctuation. I also understand that punctuation can be difficult for some people (I unfortunately have a mom with a bachelors in English, one in accounting, and a masters in accounting so it was drilled into me). I agree if someone comes in who is obviously a fawkin retard and then have bad grammar, spelling and don't use punctuation then yeah screw them.
TXJeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:26 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have horrible spelling and I know my grammer is not the best but I do try unlike those who are just horrible.

This whole setup is based of typed words not only in trying to get your point across but also "pass knowledge" off to others.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:33 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
I'm going to make a new thread, and hopefully not get flamed lol. So I started thinking about the other thread with the one guy sucking at spelling and grammar, and I was curious about what you guys put in to consideration for this type of stuff?
I'll admit, I'm not the greatest at spelling and grammar but that's because I do have a learning ish disability which makes it a bit hard some times, but I do try my damnedest to do it right(and a bit of help from my itouch)
Ill admit also that I do hate people who are LAZY and just don't care and will type away and not look at how they did it(kinda like when you read a certain post and you get a feel that it was in a rush)
So I'm not defending dumb asses that don't try but maybe if ya read this you'll might put some consideration in to a thread that you see that has really bad grammar and think that maybe the person just struggles or has a disability
it might me your talking about. i have crap for gramer and spelling and really dont care.
slegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:47 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Like the OP and others said, there is a point to where it becomes just lazy. I sometimes have to reread a sentence or section of many posts on this board (including my own) but as long as its actually english and the point is delivered, then its not a problem.

As far as sale/trade deals go, I tend to shy away if someone misspells nearly every word and has never once used a comma, period, or the shift key. To me it seems like, more times than not, your dealing with someone who is too young to be making deals like that or someone who just wont take the time to handle the deal properly.

Its just my opinion, but if Google Translator is making more sense than your posts, then its time to step your game up and pick up rosetta stone or at least a book.
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well my mother language is not English. But I've learned it a bit and when reading here in the forum or anywhere else for that matter, it really bugs me that some people don't read or think what they write. Grammar isn't my best side, but I try to spell words correctly. The spelling of English has gone down from my point of view. Probably the reason is the instant messaging, but there could be other reasons.
I think that foreigners spell foreign languages better than some people who speak that language.

The younger you are, the less you think of spelling. But when you are older, or graduated from school you start to think about it more.

That was just my thought.
Tarmo
tarmo120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:42 AM   #15
Try to Bend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmo120 View Post
Well my mother language is not English. But I've learned it a bit and when reading here in the forum or anywhere else for that matter, it really bugs me that some people don't read or think what they write. Grammar isn't my best side, but I try to spell words correctly. The spelling of English has gone down from my point of view. Probably the reason is the instant messaging, but there could be other reasons.
I think that foreigners spell foreign languages better than some people who speak that language.

The younger you are, the less you think of spelling. But when you are older, or graduated from school you start to think about it more.

Tarmo
You sir, just scored straight A's

Spelling... Grammar its all the same. But bad spelling is worse in my book. That little red squiggle you see when you are typing a post. Tells you that you are spelling things wrong. Don't ignore it embrace it.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmo120 View Post

Tarmo
exactly! i've actually noticed that a lot of foreign guys use better grammar and punctuation than a lot of native english speakers. i rarely use capital letters, but i don't think that most people would be bothered by it since other than that i use proper grammar and punctuation.

i personally hate the "text speak" crap. it annoys the hell out of me. the occasional "lol" or "WTF" is okay, but when someone uses text speak at every word possible, i tend to not even read it.

and i agree with what was said above. when i see someone that can barely spell a word correctly and uses no punctuation, it's a deal breaker in the buy/sell area. good communication in online sales is key, and you can't have good communication if you can't spell a word correctly and/or use run-on sentences.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Personally, I SUCK at spelling. I have my entire life. (dyslexia) So, it does not bother me as much as it does others.
That being said, what does bother me to no end is lazy speech, or what I call lazy speech.

Example. "LOL, I was gonna get'em cuz those tires are the shit. But I was like WTF when I sawz the price. Gonna get'em once I get the $$$ or b4 the next comp."

Drives me nots... and it's even worse when it's some 30yr. old guy posting like that.
msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:46 AM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL View Post
exactly! i've actually noticed that a lot of foreign guys use better grammar and punctuation than a lot of native english speakers.

i personally hate the "text speak" crap. it annoys the hell out of me. the occasional "lol" or "WTF" is okay, but when someone uses text speak at every word possible, i tend to not even read it.
I too find it sad that those whos native language is not English can do it better that a lot of others who only language is.

Text speak has really gotten out of hand. I have no issue abbreviating some terminology or some of the larger words, but to reduce simple everyday words that already do not have more than 5 letters in them is idiotic.

And use a fawkin' period once in a while. That key is there for a reason!
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slegh View Post
it might me your talking about. i have crap for gramer and spelling and really dont care.
I don't know how old you are, but it'd be better to care about and improve your spelling / grammar NOW instead of when you don't get a job or are passed over because of poor written communication skills. ;)
Mazlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #20
No idea what I'm doing

As long as I can get the point of what you're saying, then it's all good to me. If I read a sentence, and can't make heads or tails of WTF you just said, then I leave the thread.

And leave the caps lock alone!

Unless you're CREEPERBOB...he's the only one I give a free pass to when it comes to that.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote