Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Wraiths....not all they cracked up to be?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Wraiths....not all they cracked up to be?

I have been seeing SO MANY posts in the want ads and sale ads with these wraiths. Why is everyone getting rid of them and going back to the "old ways"???? Seems like they were hot for a minute, then fizzled out.
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

This is the way any type of RC goes. One minute it's hot, then it's not. With all of the media outlets and hype, I think the anticipation is the most excitement. Everyone wants to preorder...... I think it's hard to live up to expectations.
SledRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLBILLY View Post
Seems like they were hot for a minute, then fizzled out.
....well its like the cool kid at school...once he craps his pants, people find someone else to heap their praise upon.
Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Guess that is why I build all mine from scratch. Then you know what you got and how it will do. They did provide us with some killer axles though! I still would like a set of them
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I think everyone wanted the hot new thing and then realized that it wasn't the perfect crawler. They are limited in stock form, and not everyone wants to dump a bunch of money into one to make it perform better. They are fun, but limited. That being said, I love mine.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
Sometimes, I make things.

There is no perfect crawler, period.

I think it is just a classic example of people wanting the newest thing to hit the market, and when they have it they just want the next thing, and then the next and so on. I love my wraith, but they are big (wide/long) and take some $ to set up for serious bashing. I broke a $4 part and it resulted in me spending about $600 on upgrades, hahahaha.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The Wraiths are cool, but didn't really push my buttons.

Personally, I was hoping for something a little more on the scale side w/ a narrower set of axles.

That said, a couple of the Bronco and Blazer bodied Wraith builds have caught my attention.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I dig my wraith. Hands down, the most fun RC in my collection!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

We are a fickle bunch(rc people in general) we always want the new thing, then we get it mod the crap out of it than we start looking for the next new thing. EXO TERRA hint hint. And by the way I love my Wraith and run it all the time.
omenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Love my wraith too.. Just wish I had $1000 for all the mods I want. Haha

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Been trying to decide I sold my comp rig was gunna go for a scaler of sorts. Would the wraith be a happy medium between the two maybe?
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Im with DEZ...narrower axles would of done it for me.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I loved my Wraith- enough wheel speed on 3s to have fun with. It lived up to its hype for me
Hoyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
Im with DEZ...narrower axles would of done it for me.
me six.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I think it's just part and parcel to a consumer society who always has to have the latest in an attempt to be happy.

I have only ever bought one truck right when it came out, which was the original SCX10 kit. Other than that I wait and see what they are really like first.

I think the wraiths are cool, but for me and what I like, they don't fit. I much prefer something with narrower axles and more street truck looking. Plus, after seeing them in action up close, they have some limitations that I don't care for. If I was to build a similar type rig, I would go with AX axles or R1 axles for my build.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I bought mine just to have the axles and play around with a TTC truck. Figured I could get something that would be a little different than the norm. Too bad klabeaume beat me to it. LOL...
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #17
Looking for new Trails

Most of you are right the NEW is always Cool and then it die's and on to the next NEW cool thing... and your right it does take a ton of money and upgrade's to get these things the way you want it to perform and look. I like my wraith they are fun and a good all round truck, a norrow axle would have been nice but we will just have to wait and see what they bring next....
yoda@4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Ive wanted one since RCC put the first info up about it and will still be getting one.

I wasnt aware of any major problems aside from the normal things folks whine about.

And although "scale" is constantly evolving I cant get over how scale the Wraith IS for an out of the box RTR. Reminiscing from the "History of RCC" thread I remember my first HG "scaler" being a cut down TXT frame with Clod axles and a PL Rubicon shell. At the time it was the bees knees. To see how far things have come I think the Wraith is sick for a RTR.

Last edited by RANOVRU; 11-11-2011 at 10:07 AM.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
Scale Detail Engineering

I knew I wanted a set of Wraith axles for my Rock Rider chassis as soon as the stats came out... and I got a set as soon as RPP started parting out the kit's. Personally, I don't care for the buggy chassis that much so I knew I would never actually buy a Wraith.

The only rc's I've ever bought new when they first came out were the Traxxas Mini E-Revo and the Venom VMX 450.
I have no regrets about the Traxxas.

I did regret the Venom though because as soon as people started running the bike, including me, the plastic gyro gears started failing.

Fortionatlly, unlike Axial with the rear Wraith shaft issue, Venom immediately released metal gears and sent them to everyone that had purchased the first run of bikes and they upgraded all the bikes from then on.

Come to think of it, all of the rc's I have were bought used or pieced together from used parts... patience young grasshopper.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

people keep forgetting that axial makes entry level stuff like the AX10, SCX10, XR10 and now the WRATH is no difference....then the market follows up very nicely with upgraded parts....if axial made there stuff top of the line they would need to charge at least $500.00+ for there stuff with upgraded heavy duty parts where one wouldn't need to upgrade....when the AX10 scorpion came out i thought bout buying the kit, but then i would only really use the axles housing from it so i just bought them and went from there....now i'm thinking of using the WRATH axle in my pro 4 SCT truck instead of RC4WD's short course axle they have since the WRATH axle looks to be the same width....remember axial kits/trucks are entry level at a good cheap price ...........bob

Last edited by bob1961; 11-11-2011 at 10:08 AM.
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote