Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Newbie Need Help With Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Newbie Need Help With Project

Hey I am new to this site but not new to rc i love all the scale rigs you guys build. I need some help with my new project i want to build a iceland formula off road jeep what it is going to have is

Cut HPI jeep wangler body (or some thing else if any body knows of any thing better)

Pro-Line 2.2 sand paw tires

i would like to build a tuber but i need help with the plans. i can draft and i can put the chassis together i get need help with shock and linkage locations

i was thinking tlt axles

i want to use a stadium truck transmission with a fast motor for the sand

as for linkages shocks and ect. that's what i need help with

any info you have for me that would be a big help thanks

Last edited by wayfastwhitey440; 06-05-2006 at 03:45 PM.
wayfastwhitey440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Looks like a fun and easy project....I wanna try it!

You also might want to use the paddles from pro-line with the full spike instead of half of one..
Spdsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
Oppan Gangnam Style

sweet! i have also been contemplating this idea fro quite some time. i have a 1/6 scale willys body that i was thinking about using or maybe one of my 1/10 land cruiser bodies. i say go brushless! trans can be any but you should use the smallest one you can find. as for suspension, there doesn't need to be alot of travel and i think a 4-link or 3-link with some shorter shocks would be in order standup style! good luck and keep us posted on your project.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a way-cool project. Since it's your first build, I'd suggest going with an SW2 chassis rather than building a tuber and trying to figure all the links & shocks out yourself. Good geometry is good geometry, whether you're going fast on sand or slow on rocks, and Bender's chassis is a proven design. All you'll have to do is select some stiffer springs. There are plenty of shock mounting options so you're bound to find one you like. As for power, go brushless Get a Novak 5800 in there or wait til Castle comes out with the Mamba Max (it'll be worth the wait if it's half as good as the Mamba-25).

If you're hell-bent on a tuber, then once you've found a setup you like with the SW2, just copy it with tube. You might think that buying the chassis to use as a test bed/template is wasteful, but you'll save money in the long run, trust me ;)
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

sorry but who makes the sw2 chassis and does any body know of anybody that can make a tube chassis that will fit the body i want and accept tlt axles for a reasonable price
Old 06-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I wouldnt recomend those pro line paddles they are realle stiff and yea... the panther tires are a lot softer and come with foams and look closer to what you want http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/726470.asp
I work at hobby people in murrieta ca, so lmk if you want them and ill hook you up
supercrawlerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

hey thanks i will see but i really like the look if the pro line tires
Old 06-05-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

thats a crappy pic on the page and Ive had the pro line ones Actually I have a set If you want them if you wana py shipping send me a pm if you want pics
Old 06-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

and useing t maxx shafts works good
Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

hey i found the sw2 chassis its bender custom and it looks good so what am i better off doing buying the chassis and stock tlt and the stamped tranny and selling all the left overs or buying all the stuff separate also what drive shafts do i use and i get a longer well base with the e-maxx links and are 2.2 rims a direct fit and i was thinking losi xxx front or rear shocks
Old 06-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #11
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfastwhitey440
hey i found the sw2 chassis its bender custom and it looks good so what am i better off doing buying the chassis and stock tlt and the stamped tranny and selling all the left overs or buying all the stuff separate also what drive shafts do i use and i get a longer well base with the e-maxx links and are 2.2 rims a direct fit and i was thinking losi xxx front or rear shocks
Buy the tlt, ultimate hobbies sells them for something like $80. buy the pede tranny from tammies hobbies, you will see that thread in the vendors section. you can use the maxx driveshafts, if you are going for speed that will be your best bet. with those proline paddles that you posted 2.2 wheels are a direct fit. for the shocks, any shock that is the same lenght or close to a maxx shock will work. if you want to use the xxx shocks use the rear. the fronts will be too short. hope that helps!
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

hey thanks i am going to go with the stampede tranny and lock it also what about linkage and what t-maxx shafts do i use center or wheel

Last edited by wayfastwhitey440; 06-05-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

You could use the panther tires up front and the pro lines out back to give it kind of a rugged sand buggy look. Those icelandic rigs are tough stuff. Look at pictures online to get an idea of how they're set up. They're pretty simple to figure out the suspension from pics. Good idea and should be a fun build.
cherokee xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

wow i hope ur using a nitro motor ?? that thing will be bad *** if its anything like the real ones when its done

i think i might have to make one with whats left of my hpi car
dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotson
wow i hope ur using a nitro motor ?? that thing will be bad *** if its anything like the real ones when its done

i think i might have to make one with whats left of my hpi car
yep hes sticking a 26cc 2-stroke in a sw2 (this ide like to see)
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Moved to chit-chat - while scale, not an acutal crawler
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote