Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: The Khan Academy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Suck it up!

Default The Khan Academy

Anybody ever use his stuff? I've been hearing that its gotten pretty good reviews, and helps a lot of students understand different subjects.

My son needs a boost in a couple of classes so I thought I'd check it out. Turns out he's got a little series on the housing bubble.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Anybody ever use his stuff? I've been hearing that its gotten pretty good reviews, and helps a lot of students understand different subjects.

My son needs a boost in a couple of classes so I thought I'd check it out. Turns out he's got a little series on the housing bubble.
I use the shit out of Khanacademy. He has everything from basic math to art history. Its a very well done resource. His Trig and Calculus videos have driven the concept home for me more than once.

In one of his interviews he mentions he was a financial analyst before creating Khanacademy, so he has first hand experience with the financial bullshit.
rnpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Why not try it? its free, and on youtube! lol

Anyways..
I use the Khan Academy. Before i started using it, my grade average was a 3.7. Now with the Khan Academy, I have a good average of 3.9

This was because my Trig grade wasn't that great, due to my teacher teaching me in a new way i have never been taught. This really threw me under the truck, and i was stuck. Went to the khan academy, and my grades instantly boosted up.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Could have used him in HS for geometry, the teacher had two whole classes that had no clue what she was teaching!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Suck it up!

I showed the site to my son last night, and since he just wrapped up a chapter in math I had him find one of the previous chapter subjects that he had trouble with.

About 3/4's of the way through the first vid he was doing his best to solve the problems in his head and call out the answer before it was given. Did a good job too.

After that I let him loose to watch whatever he wanted. He spent about an hour in the science and biology section.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Zod Rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

But its pretty interesting. Actually, Mr. Khan himself came to my highschool recently and he had a speech about his job. Pretty interesting. His cousins in india were having trouble in school subjects, and ask Mr. Khan for help over video, not in person. So then he posted on Youtube, and now he just has a huge spread of vids..

Anyways.. I love Mr.Khans teaching method. In school, theres so much pressure from other students, and the teacher alone. Some teachers yell, some teachers cant teach, some teachers are boring, some go straight to the point and never let the students understand. But Mr.Khan makes every subject so easy to understand, due to some real life examples.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote