Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: new job is bitter-sweet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default new job is bitter-sweet

I've been out of stable work for a LONG time, over the summer I was able to work for 3 months through a temp company. The same temp company sends me to an interview a few weeks ago at a company that manufacturers electrical switching gear on the infrastructure level. ( input power cables are the ones from the high tension cables that come directly from the power plant)

It was supposed to be for an assembly position. Upon my 1st day there ( last Monday) I got greeting from the supervisor from the machine shop who just said "follow me" and led me to a room where I watched safety movies from 6 am to 10 am. Upon completion of the movies, the supervisor shows up and says to "follow me" and leads me through a maze of doorways which empties into a run down, dimly lit work area full of OLD men whom all start to stare at me. ( I'm already thinking WTF???) when the supervisor tells me his name is Val and that I would be watching a 5 axis Doonan lathe for the next few days.

I tell him that I have no programming experience so I'm not sure how to do any editing when a comp value needs to be changed. He looks at me and says, " you tool maker, no? Resume say that you are tool maker" I'm finally able to figure out that Val is from the russian motherland as well as everyone else in the shop. Apparently Val is the only one who speaks English.

I tell Val that my last job as a tool maker involved prototype and 1st article parts, not a production shop and that the toolmakers used manual equipment unless the job required that the assigned CNC machinist was needed, then we would just hand the job over to him.

Vals responce: "hmmm, I no impressed". He shows me how to start the cycle on the 5 axis and then tells me "when you have problem, tells this man" and points to one of the old guys whom is still staring me down. I do the best that I can for the day, having to show the old guy a comp value change that I needed to make. he just shoves me aside and starts hitting the soft keys, mumbling something under his breath.

This was basically how the entire week went. Very little communication with anyone and tedious interactions when I do get a bit of help. As badly as I need a paycheck, I just don't see how this is ever going to work out. The language barrier is one issue, but when you factor in the seemingly hostile environment doesn't make it any easier. I can only assume that it's because I'm of Polish heritage and to be frank, there is NO love between Poles and the satanic bastard russians. It goes well past WWII all the way through the 1980's during the russian occupation of Poland.

Sorry for the side track, my basic question is: how many of you have had to deal w/ a work environment sure as I'm describing? Any ideas/suggestions as to how to deal with this? I've alreadyspoken w/ the recruiter from the temp company, his only response is that "sometimes you have a diverse work environment". I know the obvious answer is to keep looking for work, which I plan on, but do I survive during the mean time?

Last edited by BigSki; 12-12-2011 at 02:33 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Bite your tongue, put the blinders up and get in your own zone. Interact with them little as possible and watch what they do. Maybe you can pick up on some of the techniques to adjust the machine. Hope it works out and I have some type of help, ha ha.
mudrinner4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I am intriqued. In what country are you working?
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you’re the only person there without a chip on your shoulder that works there. When people are abrasive and rude like that, it’s just there insecurities peeking through. They try to make them self’s look better, while there just a loser that has had the same job forever and making drama/ being rude to people is the only way they get through work or even life itself.

Keep your head up and hope it gets better for you.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Scale Detail Engineering

Do you have a wife and kids?
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Just drink lots of vodka. They'll either accept you as one of their own, or you'll be too wasted to care.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Just drink lots of vodka. They'll either accept you as one of their own, or you'll be too wasted to care.
Very nice!
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrinner4ever View Post
Bite your tongue, put the blinders up and get in your own zone. Interact with them little as possible and watch what they do. Maybe you can pick up on some of the techniques to adjust the machine. Hope it works out and I have some type of help, ha ha.

I'm a student here in Estonia. Estonia is a country that was occupied by Russia.
So you may think we speak all russian too. But no.

Anyways. I am a student with CNC(milling in my case) machines. I don't speak russian at all but have to work with them.
And they don't speak Estonian. So looks like similar situation.
I watched them for a few weeks and communicated with them as little as possible.
Right now I'm pretty good at making programs and know how to set the machine up and make parts.
So I'm in my own zone and keep it like that.
Yes, it is a bit bad as I can't speak to anyone for 12h but I like the machining.

I wouldn't stay there for too long. But if I can't find a better place, I have to stay.
But for you I can only recommend that you observe, make notes when needed
and later keep it to your self.
tarmo120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
That's how it works with drywallers!
It can't be much worse than dealing with a woman who's kitchen has been torn up for 3 weeks when she finds it will be another 4 before she can use it again. If looks could kill.
Any work now is good work.
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict

jobs are hard to come by, it may suck but stick it out and keep looking for something better. ive been in your situation a couple times
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
Suck it up!

Show up to work with a bottle of vodka and a big fuzzy hat and maybe some big heavy boots to stomp around in. You're sure to make friends.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I'm of Polish heritage and to be frank
So you're Frank Bigski? Like Bigskeee?

I don't know why I post sometimes...

Keep going at it until they tell you to leave. Make what money you can. Maybe they'll let you stay.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Any other time, I'd say get the fawk out of there. But if you don't wanna do that, start talking shit about stupid drunk bear-fuking Russkies til one of the old guys takes a swing at you. Then sue. It's the new American way.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I used to work with a bunch of Romanians.....they were about as friendly as what you describe. Oh, and they made the nastiest food...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Maybe you should all hang out in a Russian steam bath like Arnold did in the movie Red Heat? If that don't break the ice, nothin' will.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

If it pays well, learn Russian and bring them some vodka for xmas. If not hang in there through the holidays if they let ya. Work is scarce, it's not getting better for a while, and if it's a good paying job I say suck it up and do what you can. Yes I do realize I am telling you to assimilate to their culture and language in a mostly english speaking country, but it's better than nothing especially this time of year.
ozyint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
I am intriqued. In what country are you working?
It used to called "The United States of America", I'm not sure what to call it anymore...
Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #18
MODERATOR™

I'd rather sit in a steam room drunk on vodka than learn Russian. I think.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Show up to work with a bottle of vodka and a big fuzzy hat and maybe some big heavy boots to stomp around in. You're sure to make friends.

Oddly, I have one of those 'Elmer Fudd' hats in the closet. I saw it yesterday and thought to myself: "self, you aren't going to make any friends wearing that thing to work!"
Old 12-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmo120 View Post
I'm a student here in Estonia. Estonia is a country that was occupied by Russia.
So you may think we speak all russian too. But no.

Anyways. I am a student with CNC(milling in my case) machines. I don't speak russian at all but have to work with them.
And they don't speak Estonian. So looks like similar situation.
I watched them for a few weeks and communicated with them as little as possible.
Right now I'm pretty good at making programs and know how to set the machine up and make parts.
So I'm in my own zone and keep it like that.
Yes, it is a bit bad as I can't speak to anyone for 12h but I like the machining.

I wouldn't stay there for too long. But if I can't find a better place, I have to stay.
But for you I can only recommend that you observe, make notes when needed
and later keep it to your self.

Thanks for this post, I appreciate it. It was my grandparents who had to deal w/ the russians after WW II, they were from Krakow so they had to fight Nazis first then deal (for a short time) w/ the red star loving ass monkeys, so I really shouldn't have any hard feelings towards someone because of where they are from, but still- after reading about russian tactics and talking w/ Poles whom have recently moved here, it seems the red-stars practically enslaved Poland, trying to wipe out all traces of the language and heritage, replacing them w/ the 'better' russian way of life so it still burns my balls to have to deal w/ people who could have very well been a part of it all.

Maybe I should tape a poster of the SR-71 to my tool box and see what happens!