Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: worth owning a hobbytown?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Arrow worth owning a hobbytown?

I have been approached to buy a hobbytown franchise, I am skeptical at best. Anyone have any input, expierance, good or bad? Are they a good company? can you actually turn a profit? are they easy to work with? OR is this just gonna be another pain in my azz? I am asking because there are so many of you all over the world that deal with so many different companies. Let me know what you think, good or bad?

Last edited by Unimoger; 06-14-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I think hobby towns are nothing comapared to a "Small no name LHS" . I have been to one and they never carry any of the high end race gear that I use.

I'd say $hit can that idea, and open up your own personal HS. Then you can advertise your own prices , make your own "specials".

Just my $0.02
RodyRazorBackc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodyRazorBackc5
I think hobby towns are nothing comapared to a "Small no name LHS" . I have been to one and they never carry any of the high end race gear that I use.

I'd say $hit can that idea, and open up your own personal HS. Then you can advertise your own prices , make your own "specials".

Just my $0.02
x2, My local hobbytown sucks. That is the only representation of a hobbytown I have so my opinion may suck too.
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The Hobby Town in Columbia MO. carries a good selection of crawler parts, tires, wheels (RC4WD bead locks in stock), motors (always have lathes), bodies, batteries, ect... I think alot depends of the owner/manager/employees.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

in regards to the hobby towns not carrying the big dollar race parts... youve never been to the hobbytown in vegas. they probably had 10,000 in stock behind the counter in high end race parts. but they didnt have a tmaxx dshaft yoke!!! as far as i know you can stock what sells. do up a thorough business plan first... then hire me. i hate CT
peej410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Regardless of whether or not HT is any good - after all, it's a franchise, the quality of the store is gonna vary greatly - I get the general impression that the hobby trade would be a pain. We only have 2 hobby shops in town and either one seems like it's just makin' ends meet. I can get stuff so much cheaper online. Except that I buy most of my stuff from an actual hobby shop in Glasgow, Montana; Stormer Hobbies.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
RCC Addict

yeah, my hobby town here sucks for R/C stuff in my opinion, but if you're a "magic the gathering" geek, it seems to be the happening place on a friday. and it seems (i know nothing about these) to be a good place for trains, too...

but for R/C, my hobbytown sucks....
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

having worked for one...

you decide what you carry.. so all you guys spouting off that your local hobbytown sucks.. its cause the owner sucks.. its been a couple years, but i still talk to the owner, and many people that work there.. im not sure exactly how it all works..

but i know you still get to do your own thing, tey just kinda help

microgoat may be someone to ask..
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

From what I understand you can choose what parts you want to stock. The only good thing about a franchise is the widely now name. It helps and hurts. If one gets a bad review then it spreads like wild fire and could hurt business.

If you start your own you will have more say will not have to pay roalties (in most cases with franchise) and you'll have more say about pricing. Then you will have to deal with importing products from Japan and places like that, which is not fun either.

That said I think it would be worth looking into. find out what they require for their name (franchise) is there royalties in place things like that. Figure out what your customer base is and find out what your compition is as well and how well they do (you can obtain that from state agencies). What kind of incentives will they give you buy opening one of their franchise, sometimes they have perks. How many hobby shops are in your area with in a 2 hour driving distance.

As said above a business plan is a must and it will suck to write a good. I can help you if you need a place to start. I have written 15 versions for mine. Not for a hobby store though.

This is just the tip of the iceberge when concidering such an endevor.

Last edited by Double J; 06-14-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

In my area, the Hobbytown is great. I spent alot of money there and get great service.

If its something you think you wanna do, go for it. How much competition would you have in your area? Is there alot of RC interest there? or race tracks?
f150dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Hey my Hobby Town Sucks too. Just Because the Owner like planes and heli's more. Like Dezfan said I think it is all about the owner. What he like and what he thinks sells.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Just some quick search information I found.

Franchise Requirements
Franchise Fee: $19,500
Cash Required: $60,000+
Total Investment: $180,000- $500,000

It doesn't say if its an anual Franchise fee or not. Cash on hand is kinda high but normal.
Some other info. It seems to have some decent advantages.
What We Provide

The HobbyTown USAŽ franchise success is due to a proven business practice in an exciting and growing industry. Our franchisees enjoy these benefits for their business:
  • The most recognized and trusted name in the hobby industry
  • Financing assistance after the agreement is executed
  • Site location and lease negotiation assistance
  • Comprehensive store layout and design services
  • On-site training and opening assistance
  • Complete pre-opening and operations manuals
  • Ongoing business support from the home office
  • Point of purchase and inventory computer program and 24/7 technical support
  • Customizable store website
  • National advertising program and local promotional assistance
  • Award-winning hobby magazines for your customers
  • Discount product purchase program and national buying power
  • Annual franchise convention with educational seminars and trade show
All of these services are offered to our franchise stores from the national headquarters in Lincoln. The HobbyTown USAŽ story is an exciting one of making people's dreams of owning their own successful business come true.

Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:52 PM   #13